Poll: rotavirus & pneumonococcal vaccines

Have you immunized your kid(s) against pneumonococcal pneumonia and rotavirus?

• both pneumonococcal pneumonia and rotavirus
  • pneumonococcal pneumonia only
  • rotavirus only
  • neither
  • don’t know
  • other (e.g. immunization differed by child)

0 voters

I realize there is an old thread with a sad story about one child hospitalized here for pneumonococcal pneumonia, and another long thread (Mordeth vs. the world) on vaccination in general. Here I’d like to discuss specifically the optional vaccines for children which pediatricians may discuss with parents but which NHI does not cover, especially the two our pediatrician discussed with us today, namely against pneumonococcal pneumonia and rotavirus, and to run a poll on these two.

First, the poll. Have you had your child or children immunized against these two?

Discussion: Why or why not? Do you think these are necessary? How much did they cost?

We were told by our pediatrician today that neither is covered by NHI, and that the pneumonococcal pneumonia (let’s write PP, eh?) vaccine would cost NT$10,800, at NT$2700 per dose x 4 doses. The rotavirus vaccine was quoted at NT$5000, based on NT$2500 per dose x 2 doses. He said both were optional, and that parents could decide bases on their budget. He added that if due to budget constraints parents had to pick only one, he felt the PP was more important.

Your thoughts?

Also, has anyone found a better price on these, or is the above pretty much fixed?

I’ve voted neither because we’re currently under the British NHS and they aren’t offered. As my son’s immunity levels and exposure to disease is normal I won’t be seeking out any other vaccinations than the standard ones, but were he under five and in daycare, for example, I would definitely seriously consider both of these. More so if he were prone to disease or suffered low immunity for some other reason.