Poll: The ugliest building in Taiwan

The Japanese governer’s mansion? I’ve always thought that place was creepy in an Addams Family kind of way.

[quote=“enzo+”]The Ministry of Foreign Affairs building on Ketagalan Blvd gets my vote for the ugliest building.
It’s just a grey concrete box, and it looks even uglier when you consider it’s surrounded by classic buildings like the Binguan across the street, the old NTU hospital building, the Presidential Office …[/quote]

there’s an especially hideous one near there on the corner of aiguo and boai, north side of the traffic overpass.

Like the Petronas Twin Towers the Taipei 101 is surely not ugly but they aren’t pretty either. Both are rather impressive though. IMHO.

That perpetually abandonded building located at the crossroads of Taipei’s 2 most upscale streets. It’s on the Renai-Dunhua roundabout. Even with a huge ad on it, it’s hideous.

I think the old theatre in Ximending they ‘renovated’ has been transformed from a potentially stunning reno into a ghastly (both inside and out) Taiwan take on sympathetic restorations.

Disagree. Petronas Towers has architectural pedigree continuing the Moorish style typical of many of KL’s buildings, such as the beautiful train station. 101 has simply added feng shui to the faceless skyscraper concept. A renowned Chinese architect like I M Pei could surely have been commissioned to deliver something unique, rather than letting the accountants exact their toll on aesthetics.

heard that Taipei 101 is inspired on a bamboo sprout.
any one heard the same? or do I have to drink less in the weekends :?

The Petronas Twin Towers’ shape resembles the crescent and stars of the Malaysian flag and it has 88 floors ‘to please’ the Chinese population (which makes about 30%).
To compare it to the (old) train station is a bit off I would say, can’t see much moorish in there …

Read this, too. It’s supposed to stand for growth and strength.

I’m not sure about the ugliest building, but I know there is one building (or complex) that should’ve never been built… the one right smack in front of the National Palace Museum!

[quote=“Elvis”]heard that Taipei 101 is inspired on a bamboo sprout.
any one heard the same? or do I have to drink less in the weekends :?[/quote]

I’ve read that somewhere. Less drinking on the weekends, sure… but you have to make up for that on the weekdays :wink: