Poll: why do/did you stay in Taiwan?

Cheap shot.

In Europe this is becoming a problem. I have heard many people talking about this issue, not only rejecting their business, but also closing their accounts. And I am not surprised. It is easier for them not to have American customers, so they don’t have to deal with the FATCA reporting. In Asia so far I have not heard that specifically. Only big US and other big int’l banks are doing this kind of thing in Taiwan so far. The local banks are just asking us to sign the W9 so far.

I would guess more Asian banks would start dropping US customers once the reality of FATCA and what it will mean to them finally sinks in. These banks will have to incur the administrative cost for data collection and reporting according to FATCA guidelines. If they fail to comply to all of the FATCA terms their US asset transactions will be subject to a 30% charge of value. I doubt many banks will be willing to risk such a large gouge on their US assets in order to keep a few US account holders. It will be easier and safer just to drop them altogether. Another possible scenario would be that foreign banks start pulling their money out of the US to avoid the risk of steep penalties. But I still think it will be easier for them to just refuse US customers.

1 Like