Polls for the 2020 Taiwanese Presidential Election?

Calm down. No matter who wins, things will remain the same.

I cannot go another election nail biting, watching from the sidelines. I will sit down with my bank books and see how can I afford to become Taiwanese finally. Got the politics big from dad, would love to help out as lizhang at least.

Besides, I only get scolded when I reply I canā€™t vote. But you have been here so long!

For our children, for the future.

3 Likes

Iā€™m afraid this is something people say who have become too comfortable and distant from conceiving of danger, and accustomed to elections that have no consequence in terms of impacting democratic integrity.

Democracy is never a thing done. Democracy is always something that a nation must be doing.
-Archibald MacLeish

4 Likes

So you claim this election could affect democratic integrity?

Why?

itā€™s easy to say that as an average joe. because most of our standard of living doesnā€™t dramatically change within the next four years or even the next decade regardless of who is in power during that time. but politics works a lot slower. politiciansā€™ actions are usually only felt after their terms of office. in a western democracy, things might balance out after time even with all that populism(i hope so). but in taiwan, itā€™s even more crucial. one vote for pro china and they are on the hook long before they know it. imo they already are thanks to ma ying-jiu

3 Likes

Unfortunately thatā€™s not true this time though is it?

The KMT has been completely and utterly infiltrated by the CCP and is full of people willing to sell their soul to China. In fact most of them have and have beautiful apartments in China ready for the invasion.

Han wants to negotiate with Beijing. He has clearly said that.

Itā€™s not hyperbole, this place is over if Han wins

7 Likes

I never hear anyone mention Ma in a negative light except on here.

Most of my Taiwanese associates, even the Aboriginals, seem very pro-KMT. Most likely because they are in their late thirties or older.

Full on panic? LOL

Fearmongering worked I guess.

Do you live in Taiwan or under a rock ? Have you been following the news. Even Al Jazeera did a report and said the KMT has been infiltrated.

A member of the KMT was just found to have bribed and threatened that Chinese spy in Australia on behalf of the Chinese government.

Iā€™m not sure what information you are receiving that makes this so funny

1 Like

depends on the company you keep. i heard a lot of negative stuff about him.

you do know that aboriginals are like 99% pro kmt?

2 Likes

Your level of intensity involved in rebutting the points people are making donā€™t exactly seem consistent with your take of ā€˜just another election, meh, whateverā€™.

2 Likes

The island is far far from indefensible. Thatā€™s why it was never taken. No one will be using an EMP and no one will be blowing up Chinese dams. Whatā€™s China going to do with itā€™s one and only indigenous aircraft carrier. Oh I forgot that other piece a refurbished old Russian tin can. They could have 10 000 missiles it makes no difference when modern western destroyers can track and shoot down hundreds of baseball sized objects simultaneously. The only way Taiwan is losing is by getting betrayed by itā€™s own officers.

3 Likes

No way. Tsai needs four more years to build a strong national defense and to get a free trade agreement with the United States.

2 Likes

But anyway, anyone nervous?

Nope. Why worry about what I canā€™t control. Iā€™m a worthless foreigner with no ability to vote.

Iā€™ve been picking up nothing but panic from my friends for the past few months. Theyā€™re very concerned about this election.

2 Likes

Invested in this place. I donā€™t really have anywhere else to go. Taiwan is my home. I canā€™t stand if it turns into China

5 Likes

I feel kind of similarly. I donā€™t plan to live here forever, but itā€™s as much my home as America, and I really donā€™t want to see it stepped on by China.

3 Likes

LOL paranoid much?

How many of the people here can actually vote anyways?

Iā€™m betting very, very few.

Thatā€™s the point. They were raped by the KMT yet still grateful to them. The KMT isnā€™t the devil posters here make them out to be.