Pomelos everywhere, why and how? Recipe anyone?

I don’t entirely love pomelo but I’ve had very good ones.

1 Like

I’ve been told they are tastiest when left until the skin has dried and wrinkled.
tbh, I think I have so many to consume that a good number will go beyond that stage.
Pickle? Sun-dry? (too late…) Chop up and put in a large jar with alcohol?
On that last idea- can you buy “everclear” here?

No, but they sell Spirytus Rektyfikowany instead.

1 Like

wassat? Polish? where?

Check the thread. Click the link. Found at a liquor store called My9, you know. Buy alcohol. Get it?

Anyways, it’s on sale. $100 off. Now $700.

Yeah, you can buy the stuff Marco wrote out (I won’t try and remember the spelling). It’s fairly easy to get in the alcohol stores and around NT$700 per 500 mL bottle.

That’s why I copy and paste.

I’d say that name is all Chinese to me, but I understand Chinese better than that.

It was NT$700 before in the physical stores as well haha. (NT$699 actually, in April/May, in the three different alcohol stores I bought it from.)

I dunno. I saw the page saying $800 → $700 so…

Classic marketing trick. :sunglasses:

Yea I haven’t followed its price too heavily.

It’s actually still showing up in the preview from when you last posted the link. :slight_smile:

Good eye

got that link, thanks!

The doormen gave me their extra pomelo.
I put them in office pantry in the end.

Pomelos are an easy crop, cheap to produce. Although many farmers still spray crops out of habit rather than necessity, pomelo isnt a heavily sprayed crop usually. The main spray types will be herbicides and various stuff for boring beetles. In general, a fairly “clean” crop for Taiwan :slight_smile: But that is no guarantee.

A big problem with them commercially is their variability. there are loads of crappy genetics out there, and some really good ones. commercially I find taiwans pomelos pretty high end. but there are loads of people that have random trees that can be quite hit and miss.

The zest we tried from them was a dud. not that good in my opinion. but that was from unknown storebought variety, hardly decent evidence!

The AG gurus inthe government have been advertising their usefulnessby bragging about exporting pomelo to Canada now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

THIS.

Guy

It’s the adventure before you get to the pomelo sparkling water that kills it for me.

But according to connoisseurs, the longer you keep them the better.

Not the right thread, I know. sorry, not sure where to post. but for other fruit junkies looking for some good fruit in season right now. The rambutan season is still in swing in Taiwan :wink:

1 Like

Taiwan has a rambutan season? Where can you get them?

I’ve only ever seen them once at the big Wanhua produce market a couple of weeks ago (in bulk, like a five-kilo box minimum), in the ASEAN area in Taichung, and occasionally in PX Mart (in small boxes of 4-5 and quite expensive, presumably imported).

1 Like