Pomelos everywhere, why and how? Recipe anyone?

For about the past week I’ve noticed boxes of pomelos everywhere.
People carrying them on the mrt. Stacked in shops. Trucks unloading. Trolleys piled high for delivery in the office lift.
Something connected with moon festival I suppose.
Are they not eaten at other times?
Is there a special way to eat them, ceremonial or otherwise?
And an easy technique to peel?
I’ve now a stack of about 30 fruits to work my way through. Pleasant as they taste when freshly peeled, perhaps I need some recipe ideas for a bit of variety.
Suggestions anyone?

1 Like

Apparently used in a bunch of Thai recipes? I’ve never tried any of these.

2 Likes

They taste like carboard to me. Not something I would be using in a “recipe”.
Just take them with the boxes of moon cakes and re-gift them to some poor sod.
It’s a Taiwanese ritual.

2 Likes

ROFLMAO!!!

Funny part of this pomelo culture in Taiwan is again that asian “needs to show politeness” thingy that everyone keeps giving pomelos to each other so much and most dont even like this fruit that they just go around redistributing it to other people. Like if u have a pomelo and mark a “X” on it, and give to to your relative , then after some days, it will come back to you by someone lol

3 Likes

Cocktails - that’s a good idea!

3 Likes

Thai pomelo salad is great. Also you can give me your pomelos if you don’t want them.

3 Likes

Was just about to ask this question. Saw a friend post pomelo candy (柚子糖) that looked interesting.

What other recipes besides salad?

Just gave a box to the doorman. Next time.

1 Like

Aren’t they absurdly cheap at the moment? I haven’t bought any, but I was surprised by the price when I was in the fruit store a couple of days ago.

Happy to contribute a pomelo if you’re desperate/hungry. You’ll need to replace the coffee cup logo in the top right though. :grin:

1 Like

This is the season. No typhoons probably means really cheap

1 Like

I’m guessing that the zest of a pomelo is too bitter to do anything with? A friend was asking about making “pomelocello” the other day (because I’ve previously made limoncello and orangecello), but I told her I didn’t think it’d work. Or is it just the rind that’s like that?

(Google says I might be wrong.)

Edit: What does @Explant think? Pomelos here typically seem to be unwaxed, but I’m not sure if they’re full of pesticides?

Moon festival, pomelo time! Too much work to get out of their skin and too dry unless you only eat the flesh.

You can make ‘limoncello’ with them, collect the juice and add alcohol.

Had Pomelo sparkling water recently. It was quite nice.

i also thought china wasn’t buying any of our pomelos so we’re awash with them. oh no what will we do darn it pelosi.

1 Like

Maybe encourage Lithuania to buy - exchange trade for their rum?

I think it’s still quite expensive to ship fresh produce so far at the moment, especially for a small market. Not sure how well pomelos do in cold storage either.

I call it the Taiwanese turkey.

Same goes for Mooncakes, Zongzi and other holiday favourites.

1 Like

You’re supposed to eat the fruit inside, not the skin.

5 Likes

My father-in-law has a 100-year-old pomelo tree that he claims is the original (heritage?) form. The pomelos are huge! Literally the size of a soccer ball and yellow so they really look like a Moon. Also, juicy and delicious.

2 Likes

Why?

Because China banned Taiwan pomelos a few weeks ago after the Pelosi visit.

China and Hong Kong accounted for 95% of Taiwan’s pomelo exports last year

Taiwanese pomelo growers have been caught off guard by China’s arbitrary ban on the fruit