Pomelos

Sucking on a pomelo wedge is like, sucking on a … er, nevermind :blush:

I have never heard a more disgusting description of something edible.

Pomelos are one of my favourite fruits. They just came into season and we always have 8-10 of them on a table in the dining room just waiting to ripen to optimum sweetness. They also smell good, releasing a citrusy aroma in the area. Taiwans species is ok but Thailands specie is alot better and you can buy it already peeled, skinned ready to eat there.

A good sweet pomelo is much sweeter than a grapefruit.

People keep telling me pomelos are juicy and delicious, but every one I’ve ever had has been dry and tasteless.

:noway: Does anybody eat the segments without peeling off the skin? :laughing:

They vary a lot. You’ve been unlucky. I’ve had my share of dry, tasteless ones but juicy, tasty ones do exist.

Nobody eats the skin. You must peel it and eat only the meat. A good pomelo should be heavy which means it is more juicy. You should let it sit for 7-10 days until the outside get more yellow and soft and sweet. Watch out for the hard bumps when choosing your pomelo as that means that it has dryed out fibers inside.

Use a knife to peel the skin.

I eat the white skin around the 'pustules" as Sandman puts it, but only once in awhile. A bid for more fibre, but maybe I’m wrong.

Also, in oranges isn’t the white connective stuff supposed to contain extra nutrients, so if that’s true, maybe it’s true of pomelos as well.

A friend of mine a few years back bit into the thick outer peel so she could peel it. Big mistake. Left her mouth burning for hours even after repeated rinsing.

So that’s what these things are called in English. :slight_smile:

I’ve been eating them for years but never knew what they were called.

It’s one of the best fruit around. The trick is that you have to let them sit around for while and get ripe. Once they are mmmmm :thumbsup: Don’t worry - they never seem to go bad. Also, the skin makes great hats for the kids to play around with.

Not just the kids…

This thread was totally asking for it!

The puss is looking a little pissed off because he doesn’t want a “fruit hat”, he wants a shiny tin-foil hat just like his master is wearing. :wink:

According to the China Post Wednesday the pomelo is also called the shaddock afer a certain Captain Shaddock who was the first to tek them back to Britain or somewhere. To which all I can say is “blistering barnacles!”

Everyone else I’ve heard has always called them Pomelos, but there’s plenty of websites claiming the shaddock nickname as legitimate.

So is it POM-e-lo (rhymes with Tom a low) or po-MEL-o? (sort of ryhmes with yellow)

Come on, someone must know.

Brian

its poMELo

No it’s not. It’s POmelo.
http://www.bartleby.com/61/38/P0433800.html

No it’s not. It’s POmelo.
http://www.bartleby.com/61/38/P0433800.html[/quote]

Sandman is right, and when native English speakers as disparate as a Scotsman and an American Southerner agree on a pronunciation, you know for certain that’s the CORRECT pronunciation. I don’t care what bizarre dialect you people speak in North California or Saskatchewan or wherever you come from, it’s just WRONG.

The problem is I’d never heard anyone say “pomelo” until after I had arrived in Taiwan. I say “poMElo,” but then I speak a bizarre dialect.
By the way, did anyone else notice that the China Post didn’t just call pomelos “shaddocks,” they also called them “grapefruits”; I think we can safely ignore anything they say, frankly.

See, I had the same problem. Never heard the word til I came to Taiwan. Then someone told me it was a poMELo. So I’ve been teaching Taiwanese that for 5 years, then I find some bloody Aussie has taught me new students to say POMelo! Well, I just said “POMelo, poMELo - whatever - they’re both OK”. Turns out they were right.

Brian