Poor ABCs

BANG!! Right to the point. This about sums this thread up (doesn’t it?)

Hey, I think I agree with both of these points. I wonder how international laws (or treaties between countries) ever allowed dual citizenships. The notion doesn’t really make that much sense. (No punds intended for dual citizenship folks. Just an idea exchange) How can one pledges loyalty to one country while staying loyal to the other? What happens if these two countries do become enemies? This is a topic worth a thread of its own!

Isn’t Taiwan working towards professional military system now? They want to phase in the system in the next 5-8 years or something I read in the paper last year (unless the ever-mind-changing government changed that again).

I hear ya. And I even grew up in Taiwan! Sometimes I don’t feel like I belong to neither place. I am what’s called the “Third Culture Kid”.

I spent about 2 years looking for my childhood friends remotely from NY. I did manage to find a few (best friends, actually). But our social circles are now different. What made us best friends is now no more. But we still stay in touch and shoot an occassional email from time to time.

Hang in there. You will make friends soon. Taiwanese people are friendly and nice (most, as far as I can “remember”) once you get to know them. It’s a busy society, thus making it harder to become friends with people unless you go to school or work together. It sucks to feel that you don’t even fit in as much as if you were in _____ (fill in the blank). But an old Chinese saying puts it well "

But overseas Chinese or foreigners who get Taiwan citizenship don’t get all the benefits of someone born in Taiwan, do they?

Brian

Damn it Brian… I thought the thread was about to end!
I think a few points are clear:

1. If you are a citizen of a country, you must respect its laws and perform your duties as its citizen.
  2. If you do not perform those duties, the so-called “birthrights” don’t belong to you.
  3. Foreign-born Chinese/Taiwanese/none-Chinese Taiwan citizens SHOULD enjoy all the benefits and previledges a native-born Chinese/Taiwanese/non-Chinese citizen enjoys, but only after fulfilling item #1.
  4. Just because one IS a Taiwanese citizen but hasn’t done his job at getting to know what it means to be a true Taiwanese (including language, culture and all that good stuff), he might as well be a complete foreigner.

But of course, the above does not take into consideration social acceptance issues, which I guess that’s what this thread is all about. But given the points given, social issues should resolve by itself given the time and opportunity (take for example, my favorite, poagao becoming a citizen of Taiwan).

What little time I have spent on this site made me realized that some of you “foreigners” are more Taiwanese than some of my Taiwanese friends. I look for the day when Taiwan opens up its citizenship lottery/application system like it does here in the United States (which has its flaws and benefits). Taiwan keeps on talking about being an international hub for buinsess and all that. But it can’t really achieve that until Taiwan has people like some of you as its citizens who see it with critical eyes.

Fine. I am naive. Bite me.

scchu

F*cking “A”. I live here, my family lives here and my friends live here. If push come to shove I will try to defend this country. And I don’t have an ROC passport. And I have ALOT more combat experience than 99.9% of the people here.

See what happens after 4 whiskies and 4 San Miguels?

The 0.1% —>Yuppies playing paintball in Neihu.

If there was a war in Taiwan, we would be protected by the Gangsters of Betel Nut beauties. They have more firepower than the PLA!

Seriously, you would not see the island of Taiwan being liberated like Iraq. You will see a fighting will in Taiwan against the PLA if they ever landed. Might see more of a Gorilla(<— can’t spell the other one) warfare (Vietnamese style).

If I could help out in a war, I would like to get a nice rifle with a scope. Would I have to go to the nearest military base or the local police?

Um… I guess you are right… Maybe the gangs do have more firepower than some of the military units… :wink:

I am not sure about the will to fight of the younger generation in Taiwan man these days. I just don’t see them all lining up to die for their homeland. But I do see an older generation of Taiwanese (in their late 30s - 40s) wanting to kick some butt (maybe it’s because of the education they received under KMT?).

scchu

Aye. The attitudes of those ABC’s suck.

“I will fight if the Chinese invade, but I will try to wriggle myself out of any training”.

But they don’t do they? Isn’t it true that the citizenship awarded to overseas Chinese ro the very few foreigners who become citizens, is a second-class citizenship?

Brian

Um… according to an earlier post from poagao, it appears that he gets all the benefits of a “full” citizenship. I am unaware of a 2nd class classification. But someone else did post some stuff from the constitution. I have to admit that my knowledge is limited on that front. But I will look into it keep you posted.

scchu

Here it is:

Just to clarify, who (or what) did you engage in combat?

[quote=“jasonlin”]
Just to clarify, who (or what) did you engage in combat?[/quote]

Vietnam. Yourself?

You wouldn’t talk like that if you’d ever seen a war. Trust me. Nothing is ever the same.

I nominate Jason Lin for the Village Idiot chop

I second the nomination.

How about sponsoring a one way ticket to Jinmen?

I’ll happily donate NT$1.

ok, I’ll put in my $1Nt too.

I have only joined this forum for a week. And this is already my 100th post. What the… I seriously need to get off this thing. My wife has been sleeping for 3 hours now and I am still reading messages and replying at almost 3AM NY time… I seriously need to get off before wife comes screaming while pulling out the battery from laptop… :blush:

Unfortunately jasonlin is in NY. Your $2NT donations will have a long way to go before shipping him to jin men becomes a reality :wink:

In the meantime, this thread has gone far enough away from the main topic, hasn’t it? From the initial discussion to politics, Chinese history show down and now shipping a member to jin men… hah hah

No, seriously… I really have to go and close the damn lid of this laptop.

I think I just heard wife turn on the bed… better get going before she finds out I am still glued to the screen with you guys…

Too late… I really have to go now… damn it…

scchu

Your ignorance is unbelievable. You have not answered any of my questions and at the same time you distorted all of my comments. If your arguments are so valid then why can’t you provide some logical answers to my rebuttal? Here’s my suggestion. Take a few weeks and study modern Chinese and Taiwanese history. Familiarize yourself with Taiwanese politics and immigration laws. After you have done this then come back to this thread and try to understand my comments and attempt to answer the questions. Then maybe you could come up with something more intelligent than “wiggle wiggle.”