Poppadoms

I buy mine from Trinity SuperStores and put them in the microwave on full power. No need to fry. They come out great.

Any other suppliers?

Are you talking about “paper” (in Hindi)? I love them.

You can microwave them? No shit? I love the things, but never buy 'em because of the hassle to fry them. Great tip!

I saw them in Tesco once, but not for a while. City Super has Sharwood’s brand, plus other Sharwood’s products like mango chutney, etc.

[quote=“sandman”]You can microwave them? No shit? I love the things, but never buy 'em because of the hassle to fry them. Great tip![/quote]I think the most fun way is directly over the gas flame. You have to keep them moving of course otherwise they burn.

Microwave them? If that works I feel like the village idiot. I hate frying at home. Do you have to put a bowl of water in with them while you nuke them?

thanks for bringing up poppadoms
I had it before a long time ago but never remember the name…
now it is coming back to me…
I love poppadoms

ax

If you have a well seasoned cast-iron flat griddle they roast-up well on that w/out the frying.

The one good thing about Taiwan range tops is that you can set them to afterburner levels of BTUs

[quote=“Elegua”]If you have a well seasoned cast-iron flat griddle they roast-up well on that w/out the frying.[/quote]Right, and I used to have a chappati griddle that would do the same thing. But why not just do it directly over the flame? Very gratifying.

Start buying, Sandman because they also come out great in the oven. Or you could do them on a griddle iron if you’ve got one handy.

Yep, I’m with Highwave. I put 'em in my toaster oven, and they come out great. It seems a bit healthier option than frying them up in oil.

And like Loretta, I’ve bought popadams at Trinity Superstore. As Sandman mentioned, they are available at City Super, but I haven’t tried that brand yet.

One package seems to last me more than a few months.

Happy snacking!

Okay, I’ll bite (pun intended).

Just what are popadams?

I didn’t know either, and then I looked on google.

This was interesting.

I guess that doesn’t really help you though.
Definition/description here

I like griddle 'cause you can get the right level of toasting (ie cooking all of the flour) w/out burning.

Plus it works for nan, paratas (sp.?) tortillas, dan bing…etc…

my mom used to toast them over an open flame, but the last time I visited her in June she was putting them in the microwave. must be the in thing to do. most of the time i am lazy and eat it uncooked.

Not so sure about the microwave option for papads… tend to come out like cardboard when I’ve done them.

Much prefer to roast over gas flame ( or if feeling really unhealthy deep-fry ! )

Best to serve with side dish of ( mixed ) chopped tomatoes, fine-dice onion ( about half ), cup of chopped cilantro / coriander, good teaspoon of sea / rock salt and juice of a lemon ( lime ).