Popular Mechanics article about a Taiwan War

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/navy-ships/what-a-war-between-china-and-the-us-would-look-like

An interesting analysis of what a war would be like.

Interesting but rather weak.
There are many ommissions but I don’t have the time to go into all of them here. Some of the main ones are that nearly all of Taiwan’s jet fighter pilots have been trained to take off and land on the highways. Some of those jet fighters are on standy to do just that in case the runways are taken out which they will be. American pilot’s will no doubt also be able to do this as well. Using balistic missiles to take out American satelites would at the very least result in America taking out Chinese satelites. Any attack on Guam or Pearl Harbour would result in an immediate retailiatory strike on the Chinese mainland. Whatever China could do to the USA; America could do in return but to a far greater magnitude of devastation. By the way I am not American just sayin!

Main thing is that if China makes this war not win able for the USA , then the USA may resort quickly to a nuclear option which in turn means WW3. Hopefully everyone is smart enough to realize that.

Japan was wrong to attack Pearl Harbor. They didnt realize they could purchase Hawaii, like they pretty much have done.

China is going to purchase Taiwan the same way by Taiwan wanting in on all the economic action in China. Just like China is buying up US govt debt and now Euro debt.

China is winning by BUYING UP THE WORLD. It will basically OWN the US Dollar as well as the Euro.
No shots need be fired.

Yes the USA could win it so I disagree on you with that. However, I agree on the rest of your post. I’d also include the rare metals factor into the equation.

Nothing is won on either side if both sides are hit with nukes… I would hope that would never be an option.

I never said nukes or if I did then they would not be used in direct attacks on any country but perhaps satelites. However, the USA has some pretty darn big conventional bombs these days that are like mini nukes without the fall out. Could USA defend Taiwan the answer now is a definite yes. In twenty years it would be more difficult. The opening question is not really one of morals but just a cold assessment of a war scenario. I disagree with the article, and I think you will find even the PRC realises it is no where near the US in terms of military technology and expenditure.

Yes morally this is all bad but I think the OP wants to discuss a what if scenario and who would win? I’d say that conventionally the USA would wipe the floor with China. Just my opinion :thumbsup:

The moment Chinese naval vessels have been taken all out the Chinese have no way to go anywhere …

WWIII? Who would start that? There is no country strong enough or willing to join China (except for N. Korea) in a fight. I don’t think the Russians will.

The Chinese buying up the world? As soon as the $ and Euro are devalued the Chinese are screwed … super inflation

or the yuan value increases. either way, their foreign holdings plummet in value, which is one reason (among others) that they are fighting as hard as possible to keep the yuan undervalued.

They should never have been allowed entry to the WTO without floating their currency first, as that was one of the foundation principles of the WTO and the IMF. They are taking all the benefit of membership while removing any risk through their central control of currency.

Cancelling all the bonds they bought would be a great idea, if a shooting war started, or even without.

I agree that conventionally US has more firepower, but I doubt the US would get involved over Taiwan. They would get involved as much as they did when Russia went into Georgia. Forgotten in less than a week.

Yes that is worrying. The US would get involved if like the article says China does pre-emptive strikes on its Asia Pacific bases and carrier fleet. I find the article highly unbelievable at this time. I kind of agree with you and that is why I think this article is bull! Why would China attack US bases knowing 100% this would bring a massive response. Shock and awe :roflmao:

The Popular Mechanics scenario has China pre-emptively attacking Kadena AB on Okinawa. That’s Japanese territory.

The consequences of such a pre-emptive Chinese attack on Japan would be pretty obvious I think… All of the other Pacific Rim countries would see China’s attack on Japan as a bully threatening its immediate neighbors. That would polarize the Pac Rim countries to align themselves with the U.S.: Japan, South Korea, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and maybe even Vietnam. Not to mention India with its 1 billion people, and Australia too. The author of that Popular Mechanics article apparently did not study history when he said images of casualties from the preemptive Chinese strike on a U.S. carrier would cause the American public to demand disengagement-- A pre-emptive attack on a U.S. carrier group would have the exact opposite effect on the American public. Witness what happened after The Maine (Spanish American War), Pearl Harbor (WWII) and September 11. There is nothing better at uniting the American people against an external foe than an unprovoked pre-emptive attack.

If China does something as rash as a pre-emptive attack on Japanese territory and on U.S. ships on the high seas, it would truly turn world opinion against them. Imagine if all those countries start recognizing Taiwan as a legitimate independent country in response. That’s something I don’t think China would want to bring down on themselves.

What is surprising, is that most of the posters on this thread are all in agreement that the article sucks! Now that is unusual for Forumuosa lol. However, I would guess Chinese extreme nationalists would love it! Are there any on Forumosa? :ponder:

U.S. fortifies Taiwan with a permanent military presence and advanced weapons (msn.com)

the US must believe a war is possible and this will be a deterent to China to signal US readiness to enter the conflict giving the Chicoms pause.