Pork rinds?

I had posted two years ago that I saw pork rinds in the night markets but now my wife is saying I’m crazy and she’s never seen them here. The more i think about them, the more i want them since I haven’t had them in ages. Long timers will know how that goes.

So has anyone seen any locally?

You can get big bags of pork rinds in any Filipino goods shop. It’s called “chicharon” in Tagalog.

2 Likes

Thank you, sir!

And you can find them at the SE Asian grocery shops, and most of the Thai restaurants in Hsin Chuang, New Taipei city.

I remember finding some at a shop that was part convienient store and part coin/collectible in the Taipei City Mall, which is the extensive underground mall adjacent to Taipei Main Station.

It appeared to be some brand made in Southeast Asia, as it had Thai, Vietnamese, Tagolog and some other languages written on it. So the SE shops would probably also be a good bet.

The bags usually include a small plastic bottle of vinegar, too. I always throw those away as the vinegar just totally overpowers the delicate taste of the pork skin.

eeew.

I’m from the UK, but I’ve never understood why someone would want to eat bits of pigskin that have been processed in chemicals until they’re not pigskin anymore. Unless you’re drunk on your ass, I suppose.

I wonder why pork rinds are not a thing in taiwan.

Seems like a no brainer usage from all the pork that is consumed and the lack of care about oily food. Does Taiwan do something else with the parts of the animal from which pork rinds are obtained?

Not available next to potato chips and shrimp crackers and and all the other junk food.

Very low carb and Keto friendly.

Available at Parklife freshly prepared when ordered. Don’t take too much from the picture as you know neon lighting.

Its just pig skin, you can get the fried ones like in your photo in some markets.

1 Like

Yes, you should be able to find them in the dried goods stalls at most markets. The local regular pork rinds (炸豬皮) tend to be less crispy and more chewy because they are sometimes used in soups. Look for the fragrant(香), Thai style(泰式 ), Philippine style (菲式) pork rinds, they are the snack variety.

I possibly stumbled upon the reason pork rind chips are not a thing in Taiwan.

Taiwan includes pork skin in many dishes. It’s probably fully utilized daily and none goes to waste.

So there is more value in selling in original form instead of selling as pork rind chips.

1 Like

Eww, I’m sure those do exist, but normally it’s just deep-fried w/optional salt and/or vinegar, some spicy options too. Quite yummy! :yum: