Possible New School Hours

Currently the Ministry of Education is discussing that elementary students will only have a half day on Friday. If the Ministry of Education only gives students a half day on Friday how do you see that effecting Buxiban hours and schedules?

Will classes just be bumped to after 4:30PM?

I could easily see buxibans moving Wed/Sat classes to Wed/Fri classes. Almost every school I’ve worked at has had problems with that time slot since the workweek was shortened

Many schools already have Wednesday/Friday classes. I wonder what will happen to Wednesday/Friday classes. Will they just be moved to 4:30 to 8:30PM?

we’ll all be screwed.

Yeah. They want to make two full days right? My school is freaking out because most schools chose the Thursday to be the other full day, but the school that supports our bushiban the most chose Wednesday.

It’s going to get interesting!

Could we get a quick summary of what the school hours are now for elementary?

I do not know about Taipei City but in Taipei county first through fourth grade students finish at noon except on Tuesday. Fifth and sixth graders study until 4PM. That is why many buxibans have a break from 4:00Pm to 4:30PM. The younger kids are taught until 4PM and the older kids are given a half hour before they start English class at 4:30PM.

Anyways, I am guessing that English classes will just be pushed back to 3:30 to 5:30PM and 5:30 to 7:30PM.

The only bad part is having off ever day until 3:30PM.

I talked to my manager at my anchingban about this today and he wasn’t bothered at all by this.
-He said the schoolwork is so hard and the parents so incapable that the kids still need anqinban. He said even the anchingban teachers have trouble with the math.

I’m more interested in what classes they will be adding to fill up the days.

I heard they are adding more English classes. Just what Taiwanese kids need. They need to spend more time listening to a Taiwanese teacher translate English into Chinese.

[quote=“Okami”]I talked to my manager at my anqinban about this today and he wasn’t bothered at all by this.
-He said the schoolwork is so hard and the parents so incapable that the kids still need anqinban. He said even the anqinban teachers have trouble with the math.

I’m more interested in what classes they will be adding to fill up the days.[/quote]

Maybe your school does not care but that does not mean that this will not lead to a reduction in English classes. Students may just attend anqinban without attending English class.

[quote=“steelersman”]Maybe your school does not care but that does not mean that this will not lead to a reduction in English classes. Students may just attend anqinban without attending English class.[/quote]30 kids in an English class and half of them can’t be asked to speak proper Chinese much less English and it’s taught by a Taiwanese Ingrish teacher with the wonderful support the school is willing to provide?. I’m not particularly bothered by any of this. It will probably mean I have better unused gear to borrow from the school as the Taiwanese Ingrish teachers will not use the provided materials.

The only thing that would worry me is standards and a bit of sanity in teaching. When my manager is telling me that today’s elementary math classes are what was taught in junior and senior high school when he was a student, it causes me little wonder why anqingbans are needed.

Does anyone know if the school hours in Taipei City will change or will the new school hours be limited to Taipei County?