Possible non-teaching job visa question?

I’ve been teaching/studying in Taiwan for the past 2+ years and have recently been offered a job in a sales and marketing role for a small Taiwanese firm. I really want to take it, great opportunity etc.
After reading many previous posts, I have yet to find a clear answer. Is there any way I can do this?
I have already found out it is unlikely the company could get me an ARC as they are small, the position is not on the list of allowed professions, and I would not be a vice-president etc
I figure I have the following options:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do a bi-monthly visa run. Costly, plus i don’t know how many times i could do this without being denied the visa. I could each time provide a letter stating the purpose (business) of entering Taiwan.

2. I have a friend who runs a foreign multi-national in China. Could I get a letter from him stating he needs me in Taiwan. Would this provide me with a visa? and for how long? I’m willing to do visa runs. The longer spaced out the better of course.

3. Well, basically I’m out of ideas. I really want this job, it would be a much needed change from teaching. So, if anyone out there has any ideas at all on how i can make this happen please let me know. I’m willing to do just about anything.

Tks.

If you have an appropriate passport, you could do a monthly “visa run”, although it would be expensive and you would soon grow to hate Hong Kong with a deeply seated passion. :smiley: But theoretically they couldn’t “refuse” you entry because it would be visa-free (although after they saw the accumulation of entry stamps in your passport likely someone or other would blow the whistle – if it was his day to take the initiative on something – anybody know how many times you can come and go visa-free without getting questioned about it?)

I can’t figure a way for you to get a work permit or an ARC on this one. You can’t do an Article 51 because you don’t have enough time on the books yet. You aren’t married to a Taiwanese, which would eliminate the problem. The company is too small (probably) to be able to sponsor you for a visa anyway as there is a capital requirement, plus they would have to “prove” that no Taiwanese could do your job, and if it’s marketing…the gov’t might be unlikely to see things that way. :frowning:

Anybody?? :help:

yeah thats what i kind of guessed.
although the small company has strong links to a much larger company in Kaohsiung that is going to be listed on the Taiex in the coming months. So maybe there is a possibility that way. The boss is calling around to find out some answers anyway, so i hope he can find a way. If anyone has any more ideas please let me know.

At least if the boss is asking around, he’s supportive of getting you the ARC/work permit, so that’s something…a BIG something, actually. Just make sure you confirm what he finds out. Many Taiwanese businesspeople might not be 100% sure of the visa regs, because they never have occasion to wrestle with them, and as has been discussed recently in other threads, you’re a much easier target to fine/deport/ penalize than a business owner.

Maybe I have skimmed this entire thread too fast … but I don’t see anywhere where you have provided relevant details of your educational background, major, previous work experience, your marital status, nationality of spouse, etc.

In terms of getting a work permit, those are all key issues.

[quote=“Hartzell”]Maybe I have skimmed this entire thread too fast … but I don’t see anywhere where you have provided relevant details of your educational background, major, previous work experience, your marital status, nationality of spouse, etc.

In terms of getting a work permit, those are all key issues.[/quote]

Tks for your help. I have a bachelors degree in management. No MA (which i think is needed), 2 years work experience in the marketing/trade field, am single. Does this help?