Post covid riding

Did my first ride after getting covid today and it sure sucked. Covid for me was almost nothing, slight cough, half a day of tiny bit of fever and runny nose. Last ride was 7 days ago.

Hearth rate about 25% higher than normal and power way down. Just felt like I was going no where.

Anybody else gone through it? How long did it take to get back to pre-covid shape?

5 Likes

Exercising after COVID is looking way more complicated than I would have thought. Have a look at this thread, about how exertion after COVID may be a very bad idea and could make things worse. Key quote: “inadequate initial rest is correlated w long covid later on.” Another quote which will reassure no one: “According to Wright et al, unfortunately most of these harmful activities were recommended by health care providers! / Our intuitions are wrong too, since we’re biased to think exercise can only do good.”

Based just on this thread - and I haven’t looked into it beyond that - don’t push yourself.

https://twitter.com/AthenaAkrami/status/1528003805757022209?s=20&t=wImyCgkF98Kb29fcPr27TA

https://twitter.com/AthenaAkrami/status/1528003818507624452?s=20&t=wImyCgkF98Kb29fcPr27TA

2 Likes

Ended up reading same - similar stuff. Looks like have to just take it easy for a couple weeks and see how it goes.

2 Likes

I went for a short bike ride about two weeks after infection and recovery. Although I felt fine, upon returning home I was winded and had a concerning pressure in the center of my chest (like heart trouble).

So I avoided exercise for a month or so. 2 months post infection I went in for an echocardiogram, treadmill test, and lung x-ray. Everything came back completely normal.

I now do intense workouts (lifting and cardio) twice a week and have had no problems. I’m my “pre-covid” self.

For context, I caught it in early January of this year and only started working out regularly about 2 months ago. Your mileage may vary.

Wishing you the best though. It turned out okay for me in the end, but I’ve heard some have problems for longer…

5 Likes

Thanks for the info even though taking a few months of is not exactly what I had planned. Was on schedule to hit 5000km for first 6 months of the year which is by far more than ever before for me (I am not an athlete or athletic just trying to get in better shape)

1 Like

It sucks - good luck in figuring out the right balance to strike. Did you find more in-depth discussions than the thread I posted? I was mildly horrified to read that attempts at exercise may in fact worsen recovery.

Similar stuff as your links. But I did discuss with my friend/doctor who also in very strong words advised to not do anything for at least a few weeks. So I guess just have to chill out.

1 Like

Based on personal experience alone, I think that’s a wise decision. Imagine you push yourself and end up making it potentially worse in the long run. There is a fair amount of debate (and at least one entire thread) about long covid on this forum. It’s just better to play it safe with your health for obvious reasons. It sucks you might have to adjust your goals, but that’s covid baby. Thems the ropes. Hope you are back at it and healthy soon! (but not too soon)

2 Likes

I had a friend who had similar symptoms after getting COVID and reported (during COVID) his resting heart rate was up and also in his first easy ride out on the riverside. You aren’t alone with those symptoms.

I would def take it easy for the time being. Best of luck with the recovery, do let update us here if you get the chance!

2 Likes

I have ridden after recovering from covid and I did feel sluggish and heavier than usual. However I’m probably out of shape for many reasons apart from covid.

1 Like

One recommendation I have seen recently is wait 60 days before exercise. And another 60 days before diving. Actual structural changes in the lungs, even possible if asymptomatic, make it likely to get embolism, stroke, hypertension and barotrauma.

1 Like

Footballers in the UK were back after a week.

1 Like

They have super high salaries. You don’t

2 Likes