Postal Voting: Australia

Okay, so i hope i have posted this in the right place. We have a Federal Election in Australia this year… any other Australians done a postal vote from Taipei before?? Does the AUS GOV just send the forms out to you, or do you need to go to the Govt office (Trade office i think it is) here in Taipei?? I filled in the form to notify the electoral commission i live overseas, but no advice was given on how i actually vote. Your help please, i can’t bear the thought of not voting.

cheers :bow:

I guess you’d have to arrange to pick up the forms. Why don’t you call the Aust trade office and ask?

I’ve never bothered voting in Aust elections since I’ve been here, so can’t offer more help than that.

just go to the oz office site @ australia.org.tw/tpei/home

keep an eye out. info is posted on how to postal vote.

good idea to do it as you can, upon return to oz as a citizen be a) fined or b) have tax returns witheld

[quote=“AWOL”]just go to the oz office site @ australia.org.tw/tpei/home

keep an eye out. info is posted on how to postal vote.

good idea to do it as you can, upon return to oz as a citizen be a) fined or b) have tax returns witheld[/quote]

Legally speaking, if you’re overseas you are exempt from the compulsory requirement, so you just have to let them know you’re out of the country and there’s no fine. If you’re away long-term, you can actually be removed from the electoral roll altogether (which I’ve now done). It means you need to re-enroll when you return though.