Posting purely in languages which are not English

Uncool or what?

Isn’t “uncool” American? That’s surely not English.

No. Why? Not everyone here speaks English or are as comfortable using it as their own language. Flob would be a better ‘expat site’ if it didn’t exclude folk who aren’t down with the yingwen.

Of course, moderation would be a problem, but wouldn’t it be great if there were Thai, Tagalog, Vietnamese and Indonesian threads? Those guys need support far more than we do, although I’m sure they’ve got their own networks.

Diversity and inclusion are good things. I think Canadians shouldn’t be allowed to post, though.

[quote=“Buttercup”]No. Why? Not everyone here speaks English or are as comfortable using it as their own language. Flob would be a better ‘expat site’ if it didn’t exclude folk who aren’t down with the yingwen.

Of course, moderation would be a problem, but wouldn’t it be great if there were Thai, Tagalog, Vietnamese and Indonesian threads? Those guys need support far more than we do, although I’m sure they’ve got their own networks.

Diversity and inclusion are good things. I think Canadians shouldn’t be allowed to post, though.[/quote]

Canadians and Martin Kove lovers for shizzle. Ban the frackin lot. But what about if a thread suddenly goes into another language? Is that cool?

I, personally, couldn’t care less. Whatever the consensus is, though. Sometimes we segue into Afrikaans, Spanish, Chinese, whatever. Sometimes I go off into one with my friends which I certainly wouldn’t expect a non-native speaker of English to follow. Sometimes people just start talking shite, which is the mother tongue of many a 'mosan.

Nature of the beast.

Who would expect anything else?

What are you whining about now, TomHill?

There are two basic reasons, as I see it, for not posting purely in non-North-American languages on this forum. :stuck_out_tongue: One is that moderators need to be able to keep tabs on whether posts violate the rules. If there are mods who happen to speak the language in question, that’s really not a concern, right?

The other is that it’s designed primarily as an English-language site, and posts should be accessible to the majority of users. In some cases, however, this may reasonably be overlooked, such as with the Chinese language posts in the Learning Chinese forum, which is quite rationally relevant to the context of this forum, which is life in Taiwan.

If neither of these is the reason for the complaint, then what else is, other than bullshit imperialistic ethnocentrism? (no offense intended) The world is not restricted to one language, so why the attempt to tyrannically impose one language on others? How many languages do you speak, anyway?

Oh my GOD!!! People speaking a language I can’t understand!!! My sorry *** feels so threatened!!! :unamused: Get a life!

[quote=“Dragonbones”]What are you whining about now, TomHill?

There are two basic reasons, as I see it, for not posting purely in non-North-American languages on this forum. :stuck_out_tongue: One is that moderators need to be able to keep tabs on whether posts violate the rules. If there are mods who happen to speak the language in question, that’s really not a concern, right?

The other is that it’s designed primarily as an English-language site, and posts should be accessible to the majority of users. In some cases, however, this may reasonably be overlooked, such as with the Chinese language posts in the Learning Chinese forum, which is quite rationally relevant to the context of this forum, which is life in Taiwan.

If neither of these is the reason for the complaint, then what else is, other than bullshit imperialistic ethnocentrism? (no offense intended) The world is not restricted to one language, so why the attempt to tyrannically impose one language on others? How many languages do you speak, anyway?

Oh my GOD!!! People speaking a language I can’t understand!!! My sorry *** feels so threatened!!! :unamused: Get a life![/quote]

And then there are Yanks. Takes all sorts. Tolerance and chilled-ness are key.

Meaning what? This Yank isn’t threatened by cultural diversity. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: [quote]Tolerance and chilled-ness are key.[/quote]

Bingo. Sometimes you really do show real wisdom, y’know. :thumbsup:

Who told you that? :cactus:

Obviously intention is important. Rattling on in another language in order to exclude or belittle the majority of the other users, is not really OK.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]What are you whining about now, TomHill?

Oh my GOD!!! People speaking a language I can’t understand!!! My sorry *** feels so threatened!!! :unamused: Get a life![/quote]

I grew some clover. I made nothing from it. I used the cotton wool to remove grease from beneath my scrotum. Please feel free to pay money to keep this comment on the internet.

Sandman, you’ve got a new rival in Master of the Acerbic.

:laughing: Sorry if I was too harsh on ya, TomHill. Native English speakers expecting the whole world to speak English is one of my pet peeves. The question of what languages are suitable for a given forum in the interest of inclusiveness and the ability to administer and moderate the forum is a reasonable one, of course. :wink:

HA HA HA! TomHill looks at pictures of kittens on the Internet. That’s how acerbic HE is.

I speak and translate jive.

Rates on request.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Dragonbones”]What are you whining about now, TomHill?

Muy Bien! Toi muon noi Tieng Viet but I don’t have the proper accent marks on my key board. Que Lastima.

And I misspell in 4 languages.

And then there are Yanks. Takes all sorts. Tolerance and chilled-ness are key.[/quote]

Esperanto should be everyone’s first choice.
After Ojibiway and Yiddish, of course.

Since admins, at present, tyrannically impose a preferred pinyin, views on what is and is not on topic, and what counts as offensive and what does not, why not do language while you are at it?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I speak and translate jive.

Rates on request.[/quote]Knock yourself a pro slick. Gray matter back got perform’ us’ down I take TCBin, man’. Slap Mae Fro.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]I speak and translate jive.

Rates on request.[/quote]Knock yourself a pro slick. Gray matter back got perform’ us’ down I take TCBin, man’. Slap Mae Fro.[/quote]

Dunt JIIIIIIIIIVE me turkey.