POTS Weekly; English Expansion

It’s been a little over six months and POTS Extra, the English section in POTS, hasn’t really given a mission statement, so I suppose it’s about time. So pardon me if I backtrack a little before I answer Wolf’s question about what type of writing or information would be suitable.

POTS was established in 1995 by activists from the student movements before and after the end of martial law, the people who protested to get political/military overseers out of college classrooms, advocted multiparty politics, and other rights and freedoms. The paper was originally styled on the Village Voice, and the goal was to give a voice to alternative movements, then as now. The link between this and the 16-18 pages/week of Chinese listings info is more choices = more freedom. So POTS is about arts, activities, and alternative views.

The English section was created last September in a strange and interesting bilingual experiment: to have a newspaper in two languages with little or no translation, but to have reporters and editors trade information and work on similar things. Obviously the English content is different from the Chinese content, but the mutual influence is there, and I believe the synergy is good.

Re: the expat community, POTS Extra’s main goal is to offer lots of info on activities and events in Taipei in English. The next goals are to give a sense of local personality in columns and articles, and also serve a place where local issues can be discussed. And when I say “local”, I’m talking more about Taipei City than Taiwan, the geo-political problem.

So to get back to the original question - what kind of writing can POTS Extra use? Here are a few topics I’d love to include: jazz, Taipei city politics, urban planning and development issues, local doctors and hospitals, the local media (how they report as much as what they report), local developments in IT systems and/or networks - basically specialized information that people can use, preferably from people working in the field that they’re writing about and providing somewhat expert information or analysis. I realize most of that may not be available given POTS means, but at least allow me a wish list.

There’s also a page for features and “first person” stories that’s always open to writers. So far this has included activity featurss on softball, hippy clothing, and (upcoming) jiu-jitsu. First person stories have ranged from humorous to tragic, talking about strawberry picking in Miaoli, teaching prison in Hualien, the suicide of a Taiwanese friend, and fearing for your life in a local hospital. Wolf’s grand daddy of all English teaching stories, for example, would be perfect. The emphasis here is on diversity, having as many voices as possible.

As for events information, anyone with an event is free to send it in, and it will almost definitely be published in the listings. In response to Chainsmoker’s question, when will listings be online? Our IT staff is working on an automated system that will let people post events over the web, but I don’t know when that will be ready. Don’t hold your breath.

And lastly, the proposals I shoot down most frequently are from people who want to write about their friend’s band, their favorite bar, Taiwan-US-China relations, or review movies.

It has never been published. You can use it if you want.

Why am I up so early?

Where is this week’s English section of POTS? I checked the whole stack at Alleycat’s, checked the stack at Carnegie’s today, none of the current issues had an English section.

Is it just a one-time thing or permanent? Are you giving it up? batboy?

Iris

David has been sick and had to have his tonsils out so there was no English section. POTS should be back in fighting form by this Thursday.

Wow, thanks for the quick answer. Sorry to hear about David and I hope he gets well soon. I’ll go back to picking up my POTS then :wink:

Thanks
Iris

POTS, we hardly knew ye… :frowning:

From enPOTS: goodbye everybody

[quote]Foreigners in Taipei have always loved to gripe about the newspapers, and I think the main reason is because the three out there (and now maybe ICRT as well) don’t really care about serving the foreign community (unless you count the Grand Hyatt). I don’t know how many expats realize this, but it’s just not part of their mission and never was. People here start and fund newspapers for reasons of political clout. The Taipei Times’ primary mission - I worked there for three years - is to support a green-tinted version of Taiwan’s international cause by covering stories it hopes the international media will pick up. The Taiwan News and China Post, each with probably half the size of the Taipei Times, are sorrier versions of this and continue running because it doesn’t cost that much to fill 20 pages a day with stories from Reuters and the Associated Press. Readership of the three ranges from 50 to 80 percent local, and the papers’ presidents have in recent years been continually vexed with the question of whether their main focus should be reporting news or teaching English. And until some foreign interest becomes a major shareholder in any of these businesses, that’s how things will stay.

Of course Taipei still has the two monthlies. There’s Taiwan Fun, whose main market is local women in their 20s and 30s (and hope to marry the white businessmen who go to the bars they write about - and, oh, by the way, Donovan, will you please someday hire a graphic designer?). The other is 24*7, fun gonzo from Taichung, which unfortunately knows nothing about Taipei, much less what events might be going on here. To them I say good luck. But what’s clear for the moment is there is still no one out there who even looks like they’re going to put all the pieces together. Forumosa.com is probably the best bet, it certainly has the most information. But then again, in the future, who knows?[/quote]

That is sad news for the end of the year. I always enjoyed working with Dave/POTS. And I agree completely with his critique of Taiwan foreigner media. It is these kind of events, like the closing of POTS, that taken together really reflect the fact that Taiwan over the past five or six years is becoming an increasingly backward place—at least in my eyes.

Too bad for POTS, too bad for the foreign community and too bad for the “sinking” Taiwan Titantic.

take care,
(oh that is three “Ts” in a row)
Brian

That link isn’t working so I’m not sure if it’s bye bye POTS hollus bollus or bye bye Dave Frazier’s English supplement.

Osih! Vale POTS. Some brilliant stuff out of Frasier’s baby over the years - think migrant workers, foreigners in prison and oodles of updates on stuff you’d never othwerwise know was happening (off the top of my head - and I haven’t lived in Taiwan for two years! ).

I look forward to Dave’s next venture - I say with some trepidation noting our man Wolf is bowing out of Taiwan. Dave, you’re sticking around, right? The place needs a dedicated independant newshound such as you.

HG

I am leaving in part because POTS cut my expense account and Dave muscled in on my meth lab. And I have no idea how he thought I could live on only one hooker a week.
Oh, and the inside info about that mainland thing…

Sad news indeed…POOHAT and I haven’t stopped drinking since. Stay tuned for the “STRAIT DOPE” - online soon.

I take it all back, Dave’s clearly insane.

AndyO, chin up. Look forward to the Straight dope . . anything else you can leak about it?

HG

I’ll leave the requested total for Wolf’s expense account up for speculation, but, hey, what other paper in Taiwan was still paying for gonzo? I actually did have discussions with one writer about having payment credited directly to a bar tab, but then we decided that would be too complicated.

Phantom, sad news indeed…quick physics quessie, being north of the Equator, is this place spinning clockwise or (anti) counterclockwise as it swirls down the bog???