Practical tips for living in the (sub)tropics

This should be included in the Lonely Planet’s meagre offerings of daily use phrases!

2 Likes

I used to think I like Summer. Well, I do still look forward to being in Melbourne for Christmas.
But I’ll only be happy if I never have to suffer through a Taiwanese summer again.

4 Likes

Seriously.

Loved summer and heat growing up, loved it living in Singapore, loved it in Thailand. Taipei has changed that.

1 Like

May I add some additional tips:

1. If you’re anywhere, anytime without air-conditioning, it had better be on your scooter (in which case, make sure your shoes is at least 70 km/h to ensure sufficient flow of air.
  2. Don’t be an obvious “foreigner” and avoid wearing shorts and flip-flops at all costs (unless said flippity flippoty shoes are 藍白拖鞋 (which earns bonus points)
  3. Never be “too local” by wearing your jacket backwards, for example to avoid a sun tan/braise/burn, usw. You will be mocked!
  4. Invest in that green aloe vera cream with the bear logo for your inevitable sun burns.
  5. Be as nude as possible while at home. Just make sure the naughty bits are covered. It’s also ok to be semi-nude within 25 meters of your domicile.
  6. Take advantage of swimming pools or the sea to cool down, but watch that calendar! Not the western one, the lunar one. Never get near the water during ghost month.

I hope these help!

I think preempting the sunburn with proper sun protection is a lot better, but it’s still a good idea to have aloe vera on hand.

1 Like

I prefer my Jesus Boots, without socks.

If you did wear socks with sandals, you’d be the laughing stock of the community. And I’m not really a fashionista. Is it too much to ask that the belt matches the shoes?? Oy vey, don’t get me started!

Black belt, black shorts, black sandals, black socks! I pass the test right?

Totally agree. But I ALWAYS forget the sunscreen, so I rely on that sweet green gel to soothe my bald head and crispy arms after a few hours in the blazing sun. Don’t forget, you can get burned after an hour or so. It doesn’t take long to get burned here, especially mid day, and even if it’s cloudy or you have shelter from the tree canopy.

Socks and sandals are an obvious no-no. Rules of thumb, which I follow to my good friends’ chagrine:

1. matching belt, shoes, and bag.
  2. only one of your belt or shoes should have “bling”
  3. if wearing a tie, wear a tie clip (unless you are also wearing a vest, in witch case the true clip is superfluous
  4. if you wear a pocket scarf, it should not overwhelm the tie, but should be of a complementary colour
  5. careful with suede (suede should generally match to suede, but those hemp belts of various colors can facilitate your accessorizing)
  6. my mother used to say blue and green do not belong together, but when it comes to shirts and trousers, go with what looks good!
1 Like

I like being sunburnt, it suits my demeanour.

1 Like
  1. Aloe grows like weeds here. Find some and stick it in a pot on your balcony, It needs almost no attention at all, and you can go and slice off a spear anytime you need it.

2. Find some rando foreigner you can pay (in cash or liquor) to come and piss on your feet when you shower

4 Likes

This sounds suspiciously like an offer of services… Posted in the wrong section?

1 Like

15 posts were split to a new topic: Avatars and adohgahs

A sunburn on the dome sounds absolutely terrible. Why not get a hat?

Every…fucking…Day (pardon my French)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51p97VYymaL.SX316.SY316.jpg

Forgot to bring it. When you ride a scooter, it’s an easy thing to forget. I only think of my helmet. Beyond that, sheer stupidity. That is why I not make lists any time I leave town. Batter charger, ear plugs (an essential), basic meds, passport, etc. Hat SOMETIMES makes the list. Not often enough!

I think you have been afflicted with what is commonly known in some parts as “mango madness”. I recommend a Bex and a good lie down.

1 Like