Prague ditches Beijing for Taipei

Not that a sister-city relationship necessarily brings tangible benefits, but a noteworthy development.

11 Likes

Wasn’t there another Czech mayor who did something similar last year, for similar reasons? Can’t remember where it was.

Same guy.

Really? IIRC that mayor was a woman.

Sex change ?

From last year:

1 Like

Same topic, same mayor (Czech Pirate Party, male), was shortly discussed here:

1 Like

Further developments!

4 Likes

LOL. The feelings of the Chinese people have been hurt!

3 Likes

I keep thinking of the Mayor of Prague reacting like this:

download (2)

4 Likes

I don’t china realizes how bad this makes them look. This is just a city, I doubt the country would look at what they’re doing to one of their cities favorably. I’m sure there will be politicians who want Chinese money fighting against it, but I got to think the general population would think WTF.

1 Like

Double taxation avoidance agreement!

2 Likes

And now, direct flights from TPE to Prague!

Direct flights between Taipei and Prague launched today, highlighting growing ties between Taiwan and Czechia - as well as Taiwan and Central & Eastern Europe.

Former Prague Mayor @ZdenekHrib once studied in Taiwan. In 2019 he cut sister city ties w/ Beijing in favor of Taipei.

Source: https://twitter.com/heguisen/status/1681643500755107845

Guy

6 Likes

I think I will go to Prague for my next vacation. Seems like an underrated European destination as well.

2 Likes

I have the impression it’s quite popular not least for its architecture which survived the war mostly unscathed.

1 Like

And communism

2 Likes