Precautions when cycling in Taiwan during COVID

They are no longer going to fine people who are mask less.

This is false. That’s not what this says, quite the opposite.

戴口罩未戴口罩者,不再勤導還予開罰

They won’t be giving verbal warnings/reminders anymore if you’re not wearing a mask. You’ll be directly subject to a penalty.

Relevant Article

4 Likes

I wore that kind earlier in the pandemic but I ripped them within one or two uses without fail.

Have you gotten longer use out of them?

1 Like

I guess I have an other brand then.
In spite of a daily tumble in the washing machine, they remain like new.

3 Likes

Then I could try again. I picked up some in Watson’s and they are comfortable but, like I said, tear out.

Had the same issue this morning. Tied it up when I got to the top. I’ll also have to try another brand because it did work well as far as the breathing goes.

@ericinformosa Could you post a picture of the package they come in?

Here is my broken one. My wife’s mask that she has a few of.

I already looked, but we have no idea where we bought them, nor do we still have the packaging.
Sorry.

We have mask all the time rule in our area. People have be photographed and fined. N

So what’s the rules for drinking, eating or resting. I choose deserted rest stops or his behind trees. I take my surgical mask off but drink behind the Taiwan Amah hat and mask combination, excellent sun protection by the way.
So, what do you do.
What’s the likelyhood of the fine sticking if some police officer or over zealous local snaps our photo while taking precautions of isolating ourselves?

Are you sure about the public being able to take pics and send them in for a fine? I’m very paranoid about this but would like a definitive answer so that I can continue being paranoid or relax a bit if untrue.

1 Like

How are they gonne ID you? Number on ur forehead?

2 Likes

Ha. With the buff and helmet and sunglasses I’m almost unidentifiable I figure. Almost no exposed skin on my head.

1 Like

English version

Ha ha. .
My wife is trying to make me parinod so I stay home. She has a point, we don’t know how people in our area are getting infected.

But in our area, there was a time that a lot of that mail that was addressed in English ended up at our home. I was the only long term foreigner. So, I’m like known.
Now, being paranoid…
Many years ago, yes, with good reason. Not so much now.
But these are strange times. Locals, at least one in our area had been fined without a warning.
If some cops have a quota on mask tickets, who knows?

1 Like

HELP!!! I’m gonna die of either high blood pressure, high blood sugar or effing digestive problems.

The only thing that stabilizes me is a long slow to moderate bike ride under hot conditions.
I can’t run or take part in other vigorous exercise due to knee problems and stuff.

I’m in effect effing grounded by the spouse. True, she has grounds to fear… People have became sick at many locations we used to use and they were talking precautions.
I actually have an incredible attraction to bad luck and have had more than my share of freak improbable accidents. Most I get compensated for, but…
Insurance money and financial compensation from the idiots don’t make up for more than two years combined disability time.
yes I’ve won the lottery of bad luck accidents, so if the Covid gets me there will be an I told you so… Or worse. .
Ok… Can someone a cheap but good way of turning my bicycle into an excercise bike. It has to be good but not expensive.
Seriously, my rides mean a lot to my health.
If I don’t get my ride a few times a week,. I get high blood pressure and can’t climb stairs with out heavy breathing.
With my rides, I don’t have the. speed but I have unlimited endurance. I could go all day.
Like I said, I’ve been injured and disabled but never confined to the home. I could go on long rides or walks…
Got cabin fever. Help.

@ranlee, any suggestions? You’ve got some kind of home set-up, right?

I suppose it won’t do any good to tell your wife that cycling outside is very safe, at least from COVID? With the buff / scarf I’m currently wearing over my mouth and nose, I’m zero worried about spreading or catching a virus (not because of the face scarf, but because of viruses and air and Science); I’m a tiny, tiny bit worried about being ticketed, but damn, that’d have to be a cop with a serious quota to meet; I’m a little more worried about being seen as a selfish uncaring asshole, but as far as I can tell the social norms haven’t yet shifted to that extent.

Haven’t read it in full, but maybe give this article a look:

2 Likes
  1. Fixed bike trainer.
    They are adjustable for road and MTB bikes, you just need a flat profile rear tire.

2. Roller trainer.
    You can use both kind of bikes, but flat profile front and rear makes it more comfortable.

I have both, find the fixed one kind of boring without spending money on Zwift and the likes (which I did not).

5 Likes

@the_seeker I have to know your budget in order to give proper suggestions, some people’s form of cheap is different from others.

There’s three different kinds of indoor cycling units, two in which @ericinformosa have mentioned. The other one is the smart trainer with a power meter in which you can sync to software like Zwift and TrainerRoad for roughly 15-30USD a month.

I would suggest either the roller or the smart trainer. I like the roller because it does test your balancing skills and you need to keep focused throughout your work out. This way, you do not get too bored during your sessions.

The smart trainer, which allows you to hook up to software, like Zwift, which is a virtual training world with thousands of cyclists online at any given time. It kind of gives you a feel that you are riding with people and you are going somewhere. If you have not have experience with a power meter, this is a good chance to have some fun with it.

It also depends on available space you have! Most of these trainers can be folded, but the smart trainer can get heavy as the wheel on it can weigh up to 20kg, so it can be hard to move. The mag trainers is usually the lightest and can be easily stowed.

If you are in an old walk up, noise is usually a concern. The smart trainers tend to be very quiet with the mag trainer being loudest. Do not listen to any of the marketing for mag trainers when they say they are silent. They aren’t!

Many people have opted to buy either of these and just put a phone/tablet/tv/laptop in front of them and just Netflix.

Hope the above was helpful!

2 Likes

Not a cyclist, but a runner and I need air, too!

Are there any concrete rules on what type of mask must be worn and how it must be worn?

There seem to be available silicone rubber frames that go inside a medical mask to keep it away from the mouth, so it won’t get sucked in when it’s wet and you inhale deeply.

4 Likes

@shortbus Hi, that would be super useful, where did you buy it? Thanks