Precautions when cycling in Taiwan during COVID

Hey guys, I figured I would open a thread to give you tips and tricks about cycling during the pandemic. If anyone has any to add, please feel free to leave a comment below.

As cyclists, we are staying healthy as the CECC suggests, but that does not mean we should not abide by the rules when out on our cycling adventures.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202105120005?fbclid=IwAR1nhdkqojIVOT3w3jPWFslQHVhUDn92Z8jdLk1adKZFLJoVmLz0g2B7Erc

Level 1
•Criteria: Imported cases resulting in isolated community transmission.
•Masks must be worn at all times on public transportation and in crowded public venues.
•The CECC recommends the cancellation or postponement of non-essential gatherings that will bring people into close contact with others.
•Places of business and public venues must implement an identification-based registration system, social distancing, temperature checks, and routine disinfection.
Level 2
•Criteria: Domestically transmitted cases from unknown sources.
•Fines imposed for failure to follow mask guidelines.
•Cancellation of outdoor gatherings of 500+ people and indoor gatherings of 100+ people.
•Public gatherings must implement social distancing, mask-wearing/partitions, an identification-based registration system, temperature checks, crowd controls and routine disinfection or be cancelled.
•Places of business must impose crowd controls; those unable to implement necessary epidemic prevention measures should temporarily suspend operations.
•When necessary, the CECC may order the closure of entertainment or leisure-related businesses or public venues.
Level 3
•Criteria: Three community clusters within a week (or) ten domestically transmitted cases from unknown sources in one day.
•Masks must be worn at all times outdoors.
•Cancellation of outdoor gatherings of 10+ people and indoor gatherings of 5+ people.
•Apart from essential services, law enforcement, medical treatment and government, all places of business and public venues must close.
•At places of business or public venues that remain open, mask wearing and social distancing is required.
•In neighborhoods where community transmission has occurred, residents must stay within defined a perimeter and comply with COVID-19 testing. All public gatherings and school classes within the neighborhoods are suspended.
Level 4
•Criteria: Sharp increase in domestic cases (a daily average of above 100 cases over the last 14 days) with at least half transmitted from unknown sources.
•Leave home only for essential activities (to purchase food, receive medical treatment, or for essential work); observe social distancing and wear a mask at all times outdoors.
•When at home, wear a mask (or) maintain social distancing.
•All public events cancelled: Apart from essential services, law enforcement, medical and government services, all in-person work and school is suspended.
•Lockdown imposed in townships, counties or cities where the outbreak is severe. Only designated personnel may enter/exit the lockdown area; residents must remain in their homes.
*Level of alert may be adjusted at the discretion of the CECC

1. Have a waterproof bag that can store your epademic essentials including extra mask and alcohol spray/wipes. You could use

Don’t need to use Ziploc brand, but resealable bags can be found at your local Carrefour or PX Mart.

Something a bit fancier, but one part of my kit that I always have on me on my rides. (Rainproof Essentials Case - Large | Rapha自行車大型手機保護袋 | Rapha Site)

1. Make sure you wear your mask when entering your 7-11/coffee stops! Just because you are all sweaty and overheating does not negate you from wearing one! We are lucky enough to not have to wear masks while on the bike!

2. Many of us here are solo cyclists due to schedule constraints, but some of us are not. Try to keep your cycling groups to a small size and if you’re meeting the group at busy convenient stores with other cyclists, buy your snacks and eat them down the street or across the street. I know the major meet up points in Taipei, no one is really practicing social distancing.

Let’s do our part in…not being the first COVID positive cyclist. :laughing:

10 Likes

A word about building immunity, don’t overexert. Strenuous exercise would actually lower your immunity. Moderate exercise (under 100 watts, no more than an hour each time) is best for building immunity.

5 Likes

I’d add, since I have the luxury, to give people you pass ample space as you pass by them. Today, all the walkers I passed were wearing a mask. I did not but still got plenty of "good morning"s even though I wasn’t masked.

2 Likes

Great post. Thanks ranlee!

Guy

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and timely post ranlee - last night I cycled up Zhong She and although there was a lot of sweating, there was not much social distancing (or mask wearing) - hopefully now folks will become more careful - Good suggestion on the ziplock bag to keep your 口罩 dry, planning on cycling to Fushan tomorrow and will have to navigate Wulai 老街, so definitely a good suggestion.

3 Likes

While we of course do not have level 3 at the moment, I guess under level 3 mask wearing would be required even on a bike?

2 Likes

Yep.

I used a u bike for the first time to get to my Mandarin class yesterday, and I forgot I had my mask on,…, got a funny look from a fellow, maskless, foreigner as I rolled by.

3 Likes

Based on the rules, yeah, I guess so. That’d be a good way for me to pass out going up a hill.

2 Likes

I always forget just how crowded taiwan can be. I picture cycling as seeing maybe a few people an hour. that above picture looks like a costco extroverted.

3 Likes

They can ticket me im not riding a bike in heat with a mask …

4 Likes

I think Hong Kong and another southeast Asian country has had that regulation ever since last year. It’s tough, but police can technically fine you if you don’t have one on!

When they ask for id i will give them my Washington state drivers license and have them issue the ticket to my address. I have no arc , no id…

1 Like

Take THAT people trying to prevent the spread of disease.

I agree, masks in the sun with excercise is horrible. Arguably they can say, dont cycle. To which you can arguably say, the best defense against the ccp virus is being outside and staying healthy. to which they can arguably say, ya but stay xxx cm a part. To which you can arguably say, i live in taipei, we have people literally on top of each other. To which they can arguably, leave taipei or dont cycle. To which you may think, why the fuck do I live in taipei? To which normal people say, no duh…

2 Likes

Taipei City (at least some districts) has become quite a lot of fun to cycle in—it’s not like the old days. I can’t imagine living here WITHOUT cycling. :grin:

Guy

Dont get me twisted , love tw.
But if i see grandma and grandpa without masks and biking im yellin

1 Like

Jesus f*&king Christ. Maybe you could don a rain suit for an extra level of protection. Add a respirator for flair! How about if we reach apocalyptic levels of danger we just agree to not go cycling?

1 Like

Calm down mate. It’s not that tricky! :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

We know that this virus doesn’t do much spread outside since aerosols aren’t concentrated like indoors
Therefore personally I wouldn’t wear a mask outdoors for any reason unless there were a large group of people in the same area and even then its still likely not a major issue. I mean its possible if someone was right in your face but again its.viral load as well… how long are they going to be there before they pass

2 Likes

So the cook doesn’t really need to wash his hands, just as long as he didn’t get too much poop on them, got it.

A little spittle in yer vittle never killed ya?

No offense, btw, just having fun extending your outdoor exposure guidance to reasonable limits.

1 Like

Well… technically if there is only a little bit of poop, you probably wouldn’t notice it since your immune system would deal with it and you would likely have no symptoms or minor if that. If he took a dump in your food you’d be very sick due to viral load. Viral load really does matter, which is why I’m not worried about outdoor exposure. But if it makes someone feel comfortable, why not.