Predictions For Taiwan`s Political Future?

Perhaps posters might offer there opinions about the future of Taiwan in 5, 10, 20, 30 years or whenever. Specifically, Taiwan`s place in the world and her relationship with China. Perhaps you might want to include her relationship with other countries as well.

Well I remember a few years ago in NYC there was an ad campaign poking fun “As cheap as Made in Taiwan”

It seems the world still has the image of Taiwan as making cheap products.

“As cheap as made in Taiwan”? well that’s the first time i’ve ever heard that

• all i’ve heard is “As cheap as made in China”- that time i went shopping and i asked the shopkeeper where the stuff was made and his immediate reaction was “Don’t worry - not China”

but then again, if it’s the low-price “cheap”, you betcha, you don’t get any cheaper electronics than in taiwan (except maybe japan if you know the right places)

we should run a poll - “Which do you associate more strongly with cheap low-quality products?” a) Made in China OR b) Made in Taiwan

but then again, the whole world’s practically made in China nowadays…

OH and btw,
ac_dropout please read - the thread was supposed to be about taiwan’s political future

My opinion is “negative” not just for Taiwan, but for the whole world. With a growing energy shortage and global warming, the greatest threat to Taiwan might not come from China after all. In fact, if China doesn’t have enough oil, an invasion won’t be possible. But then neither will Taiwan have much to defend itself with.

Sorry, I’m an eternal pessimist. Did anyone happen to read this editorial in the Typo Times? I’ve been saying much the same thing for awhile now:

taipeitimes.com/News/edit/ar … 2003198863

Apologies if I’m off-topic.

I tend to agree with robert_storey. I think the future of this great land is at a major crossroads. The political situation is catastrophic. Let’s say Taiwan declares independence and patriates their constitution, thus becoming and independent country. Which in all honesty they should become.

I honestly feel that China will come down on Taiwan with all the wrath that it can muster and no one will do anything about it. Just think the world’s largest communist country in essence the world’s most powerful country attacking this small island. There are more soldiers in China than there are people in Taiwan. Will the U.S.A. come to help I doubt it. Sure there will be an international outcry. The U.N. will decry that we are trying to purge the Earth of the scurge of war maybe even economic sanctions. Although, sanctions will only hurt the rest of the world as we know everything is made in China. It is cheaper to make a chair in China package it and ship to its country of destination than the cost of the materials. That is why China is so succesful. Will the international community do anything, no. It’s all about the money as we all know.

Having said this I think that the best thing to happen would be to wait for China to crumble much like what happened in Russia. Let them become a democracy. Then Taiwan will have nothing to worry about. World peace at last, well not really but close to.

I have a strong belief that this will happen in China after they host the Olympics in 2008. There will be a great deal of international attention on the country. Reporters will not only feature the sports but also the politics of the country. The underground movement for democracy is growing there and that will be the best time to exploit there cry for freedom. China will have to bow to some demands. Not like what happened in the Tianemmen Square massacre.

Thats all I have to say.

Singapore just weighed in on this position. And it’s not looking good for the “home team” – Singapore tweaks CSB and the Pan-Green team. Reiterates the support for “One-China Policy”.