Prepaid card or debit card with basic account (no ARC)?

I have a basic account, no ARC, so the card I was given linked to my account is basically just to withdraw money from ATMs. I’ve never tried to use it to pay at (physical) shops, but I don’t think it would work as it doen’t even have the usual card number.

Before I try again to convince my bank to give me a normal debit card, I was wondering if in Taiwan there are any prepaid cards that one can top up at shops or convenience stores. In Europe lately there are many to choose from, and most can be topped up with cash.

I was thinking about using my Easy Card, but I don’t know how many shops accept it.

Ideally I would like to use the card when I go buy clothes in shops like Uniqlo, Muji, H&M, or pay in some restaurant. But mostly I would like to be able to pay for flight tickets that can only be bought online. Most prepaid cards in Europe can also be used to pay for flights online.

1 Like

Also interested. Just curious. How did you open your normal bank account (tourist visa ok?) My chinese school told me to apply for a tourist visa and later an arc
But moving to tw w the family and our savings, so would be nice to have a bank. :wink:

No prepaid cards in Taiwan that I’ve ever seen.
A lot of banks won’t give a debit card without an arc for some reason, which makes no sense to me since it’s only your own money.

The arc is a “magic” document that seems to be required for everything here

MEGA bank ATM cards can certainly function as debit cards without an ARC, check with your bank. EASY card is a prepaid debit card however the amount that can be spent in one shot may be limited, you can ask at your local MRT station.

you can apply for Uniform ID number to open a bank account.

Directions Applying for a Uniform ID Number as a Non-Citizen (i.e. Foreign Nationals, ROC Nationals without Household Registration, People from Mainland China Area, or Hong Kong and Macau Area Residents)(Serial No. 0910)
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1090223&ctNode=30085&mp=2

ID NO. APPLICATION FORM
中華民國統一證號申請表
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/public/Data/0991052871.pdf

1 Like

They’ll open an account but he will still be stuck with a bog standard ATM card until an arc is obtained, methinks

No, he can get a debit card, don’t think the uniform ID is even required.

I guess times have a changed.
Before it was no ARC no debit card.

Here’s an odd one. Taichung bank will let foreigners get a credit card, but debit cards are forbidden… asked why, they just shrugged
Got tons of unused debit cards here… .Mega taishin, fubon

Before I got my ARC, I had a bank account in Taiwan. All you have to do is go to immigration and get a free national ID “card”. Next, take that and 1000 TWD to any bank and start a free checking account with free debt card :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess it depends on the bank/branch. Last year in Kaohsiung I had to try many banks before I found one that would open an account (I had my uniform ID), but then no debiit card, Mega in Kaohsiung wouldn’t even open an account. I will try a few ones in Taipei, maybe here there are more foreigners and things are are different.

As for the Easy Card, does anybody know if it’s widely accepted apart from transports?

I find they never really know their own rules. If denied and you know you’re right, tell them to call the head office.

Easy card is mostly for mrt and busses, some stores take it for purchases like 50 tea shop and KFC , pizza hut and overseas dragon dumpling shop for example

I would say 95% ,of places are cash only

1 Like