Prepaid unlimited 3G sim card?

Chungwha has increased the price to 950 for unlimited. I got 5 GB for 750 instead. It’s on a monthly basis. You need a phone subscription as well though. The cheapest is 183 per month. I got in my wife’s name since she had her Id card and passport on her for another errand.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I just found something.

On the Taiwan Mobile you would normally dial 535 to buy a data plan, they have a 30 day plan for 1500 nt (you dial 3 in the Chinese menu to find out about various packages they offer).[/quote]

Wow - that’s great! I’m on FET now, but I might make the switch :slight_smile: Thanks a lot for finding that!

Thanks for the heads up! A bit of a bummer, because it’s a sign that the carriers here will all soon adopt data caps on their plans, but good to know there is now a bigger menu.

For some reason that’s just the display price - if you actually go in to subscribe to it, its only 700nt.

(Tried it last week in Xin Yi - got stuck at the ARC part though)

For some reason that’s just the display price - if you actually go in to subscribe to it, its only 700nt.

(Tried it last week in Xinyi - got stuck at the ARC part though)[/quote]
Ok. We’ll see when the bill arrives. The clerk didn’t mention anything about it, but she seemed to be a newbie though.

Right - to fill in a few more blanks.

FarEastone don’t offer a monthly prepaid package, the best you can get is 5 days for $350nt.

I forgot to go to Chunghua - doh!

But yes, Taiwan Mobile do the 1 month for $1500nt - HOWEVER - if you top up 1000NT in a Taiwan Mobile store, you get a bonus $350 on top, then top up the remaining needed $150 (which requires a min $300) and you get a bonus $50nt.

So taking all that into account, you get unlimited internet for $1100 a month :slight_smile:

Oh and if you are too lazy to go to a Taiwan Mobile store, or if you live too far away from one (like in the East), you can also top up online:

http://consumer.taiwanmobile.com/mobile/prePay/save/index_4.html

You still get the same discount/stuff and sometimes Taiwan Mobile will drop a surprise gift… I got a 35nt gift certificate for 85C, not all that useful for me as I don’t really care for bubble tea much…

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Oh and if you are too lazy to go to a Taiwan Mobile store, or if you live too far away from one (like in the East), you can also top up online:

You still get the same discount/stuff and sometimes Taiwan Mobile will drop a surprise gift… I got a 35nt gift certificate for 85C, not all that useful for me as I don’t really care for bubble tea much…[/quote]

Great tip - thanks :slight_smile:

Just got the bill. It actually ended up at 600 NT. It always happened when I first moved to Taiwan that I’d get all sorts of discounts that I didn’t know about because of the language. This time my wife was there but somehow there was still this magic discount. Well, who am I to complain?

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Oh and if you are too lazy to go to a Taiwan Mobile store, or if you live too far away from one (like in the East), you can also top up online:

You still get the same discount/stuff and sometimes Taiwan Mobile will drop a surprise gift… I got a 35nt gift certificate for 85C, not all that useful for me as I don’t really care for bubble tea much…[/quote]

Are you sure about this? My GF asked about this, and they said no - if top up online you only get the 20% bonus, if you do it store it’s 35%…?

[quote=“monokuro”]Right - to fill in a few more blanks.

FarEastone don’t offer a monthly prepaid package, the best you can get is 5 days for $350nt.

I forgot to go to Chunghua - doh!

But yes, Taiwan Mobile do the 1 month for $1500nt - HOWEVER - if you top up 1000NT in a Taiwan Mobile store, you get a bonus $350 on top, then top up the remaining needed $150 (which requires a min $300) and you get a bonus $50nt.

So taking all that into account, you get unlimited internet for $1100 a month :slight_smile:[/quote]
How do you get this deal?, I have had a look on Taiwan Mobiles English site and the best prepay deal I can see is $300nt for 300 MB. english.taiwanmobile.com/english … dCard.html

In the past I have signed up for a prepay for a month to get the unlimited data but it is always a hassle trying to convince the staff that it is possible. You also have to return to the store to cancel and get your deposit back. A prepay option sounds so much more straightforward.

Good news, the offer has changed, but is now even better :slight_smile:

It’s still the 1350 if you topup 1000 in store - but the internet package is now 800NT for 21 days unlimited.

It’s not on the website for some reason, you can do it in store, or yourself by calling 535. Select 2 for English (I think it was that) then option 1 (Mobile package by day) - I think it’s then option 6 for the 21 day plan.

I have been using my T-stick I got when I was in NZ, a mobile broadband modem with a prepaid sim card. The rates are the same with what poeple have been posting. 100nt for a day, 250 for two days etc. If I need to use for more than 5 days, I go into one of the Taiwan Mobile or Far East Tone stores, and sign a two year contract. It’s 800nt a month if you break the contract, or 650nt a month if you stay with the contract. They would only charge you for the proportion of the days out of a month you use. For example, 400nt if you only have it for two weeks. Far East Tone does it automatically, Taiwan mobile requires a call to the customer service line. I had to ask the rep to match what Far East Tone does and she was fast to oblige.

Haven’t got a data sim with my iPhone in Taiwan, but have been using a prepaid phone sim card. It’s not too bad if you call within the network.

They also sell wireless mobile modem which you can use it on several devices. I had one in Japan and liked much better than my t-stick. It’s free if you sign a two year contract, also 650nt or so a month with unlimited usage, and a penalty fee if you terminate the contract. The fee goes down proportionally on the time you use so the longer you stay on the contract, the less the penalty fee gets. It maybe a better deal if you have two or more devices and you are staying for a few months. I think you get to own the modem after you pay the penalty fee or complete the two year contract. Then, you can use it next time you come to Taiwan or go to most places other than Japan. If you own the modem the rate would be the 650 or 800 like I said above. Personally, I think 2100nt a month is outragous.

I strongly suggest whoever is in need of the services that you do that in Taipei city. The stores around Taipei train station are especially competitive. They waived a 2000 penalty fee on my regular phone once I told the desk girl I was going to walk to their competitor for a better deal. They are also more knowledgable about their products, and able to waive fees.

[quote=“monokuro”]Good news, the offer has changed, but is now even better :slight_smile:

It’s still the 1350 if you topup 1000 in store - but the internet package is now 800NT for 21 days unlimited.

It’s not on the website for some reason, you can do it in store, or yourself by calling 535. Select 2 for English (I think it was that) then option 1 (Mobile package by day) - I think it’s then option 6 for the 21 day plan.[/quote]
Thanks, sounds like a good deal.

[quote=“Dulouz”][quote=“monokuro”]Good news, the offer has changed, but is now even better :slight_smile:

It’s not on the website for some reason, you can do it in store, or yourself by calling 535. Select 2 for English (I think it was that) then option 1 (Mobile package by day) - I think it’s then option 6 for the 21 day plan.[/quote]
Thanks, sounds like a good deal.[/quote]
I went down to Taiwan mobile and got 30 days of unlimited data for 800 plus 299 for the sim card. Just needed passport and paid by cash.

From what I could gather, you can’t use the 1000+350 free if you take the month package.

I am going to be working in Taipei for about 2 weeks each month - usually work in HK. I have wifi in my office & in my hotel, so really only need data for walking in the street.

For phone calls I use Skype, so don’t need access to phone calls - just data. For me the 300MB for 30 days is perfect. english.taiwanmobile.com/english … dCard.html (bottom of page).

Are there any problems with getting this deal if I walk into a myfone (taiwanmobile) store in Xinyi district with my passport & another photo ID?

Sorry, am very new to this.

The only problems you might have is if you don’t speak Mandarin, or the staff doesn’t speak English. My boyfriend speaks fluent Mandarin and was able to help me set up my phone, seemed pretty easy. The NT$800 unlimited data for 30 days is what I get, and I just walk into the shop every month and hand them my cash. I don’t think it should be much different for the 300MB plan. Good luck!

Hey, I’m new to this convo too. I just moved here on the 3rd and have been meaning to get a local sim since I landed. I intend on being here for at least 3 months, possibly 6 if my job goes well. I went into myfone today and seeing as one of the only phrases of mandarin I’ve confidently mastered so far is “Do you speak English?” the girl there called a number where I spoke to someone on the phone in english (which was so fantastic). I’m a bit annoyed as I thought phone plans would be cheap here but it’s so expensive! I’m from NZ where (without signing a contract or handing over ID(note: I have no problem with handing over my ID)) I can get 500mb data, 60 call-time minutes and 2000 text for about $418 NT (which I guess seems like good value now). But now that I’ve had a good look through the forums $800 is pretty standard.

Wish me luck, will try to get one either today or tomorrow.

800 is for unlimited data, and that means you can download a blueray disc if you wanted to. I found out they do offer a 1gb data for one month at 150nt.