Price for used car college student might use

So . . . does that mean it can travel across or under water? :rofl:

Guy

Nah you can get one. I had a friend who got one for 30k. The AC was broken so he drove around with windows open. It hardly broke down so it served its purpose

My FIL sold one to a garage for 15k. He didn’t want to sell it to someone else because it sporadically revved its head off when the engine was started. To be fair though. I’d driven about in it for five years with it doing that. I just turned it off and turned it back on again. :joy: the garage boss said he wanted it to scrap it and get money off a new one I think.

2 Likes

I live near Sun Yat-Sen, and I’ve never seen a student drive a car. I’m not sure they even give out car parking spaces to students.

As far as I know only professors or staff can even enter a university campus with a car.

I know of no university in Taiwan that allows students to park their car there.

I’m sure a fair few have parking lots.

2 Likes

The parking lots I’ve seen are for faculty and staff.

NTNU has a parking lot that anyone can park in. You have to pay obviously. When I was studying Chinese, I used to park there.

1 Like

I’d only worry about emissions tests. But if it lasted for one year at 15k I’d buy it :joy:
I wonder why it revved up Iike that ? It would probably be worth fixing if it could pass the emissions test. I bought my scooter for 35k a new one costs about 100K it hadden been ridden much either. One other problems with cars here is that you can’t even mess with them easily. Like even have a nice paint job that is not the original. So OP how much is your highest price ? Maybe start from there.

It used to pass. That was problem with getting the revving problem fixed. It would happen randomly although more often when it was really hot. But when we were at the garage, it would be running normal.

We got rid because we needed the space it was parked in and it was a three door. Plus no one else was willing to drive it except me because when it started revving on its own, it sounded like it was going to explode and they didn’t trust it.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m sure my family would just get out of they heard that. :rofl:

Taiwan really frowns on car modifications, if you repaint your car you can only paint to the color that it’s registered with, so no flame jobs or whatever.

You can change the registration colour? How can taxi be yellow?

Not saying it can’t be changed, but there’s a legal process to go through, and certain colors/wraps are illegal, like chrome/reflective paint/stickers because they can distract drivers, etc.

https://www.mymos.com.tw/know_b.html

A flame job may be considered a “distraction” and will not be approved.

Basically if you wanted a paint job on your car it’s subject to approval.

So it can be changed?

1 Like

You are asking TL for a factual response?

:popcorn:

Guy

2 Likes

It is a little confusing. I see yellow taxi’s and even a Hello Kitty car near my work so it must be possible to change or everybody is illegal?

it is illigal if you don’t change the registration color by a legal process to go through.

1 Like

Yes you have to go through the process and it’s subject to approval. I think they’re mainly looking for whether the new paint scheme will cause distractions.

Otherwise without approval you can only paint to the color on the registration.

It goes without a saying that any outstanding traffic tickets must be paid up prior to doing this.

NTHU allowed staff and students to park their cars on campus when I worked there. Cost was next to nothing. Some of my masters students had very nice cars too.

2 Likes