Price for used car college student might use

How much would a college student pay for car that would have 4 wheels and be reliable. Automatic transmission, a non rusting body. You know basic.
And what’s the procedure for getting it checked out. Third party inspection? Area of interest Kaohsiung.
And sorry for the stupid question. The only car as we purchased was for our family at a higher price for
a certified used car from a dealer with a guarantee. It’s a different animal altogether. I have no luck buying used cars but I’ve known people who can spend so
little money and get a very reliable ride.
You can make this a tutorial section for novices if you’d like.

Only rich college kids in Taiwan have cars, so I don’t think this kind of language is useful here.

I guess what you are asking is how to go about to acquire a basic used car in Taiwan?

Guy

3 Likes

Unless you seriously need the car for something, just get a scooter :man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

That’s what the average college student would do

5 Likes

Get a dirt cheap japanese car that you can park in a back off the woods place and no one wants to steal it :rofl: 150,000

1 Like

A brand new average scooter goes from 30 to 60k depending on the model, more or less.

A beater car can be acquired from 50k up, but the issue is parking. Parking space for free? Doubtful. At school, at the dorms, near the university? Difficult. Gas and maintenance can be doable, parking is hard.

So yes, most kids will get the scooter, but if foreign, certain embassies frown on that, because of the young students lost to accidents.

1 Like

Where are you? Which university are you attending?

This isn’t the states, if you’re in Taipei finding parking is very difficult. Trust me unless you are either very wealthy or have huge needs, such as multiple babies or kids that needs to go places daily, a car is more trouble than it’s worth.

That you’re looking at used car tells me you’re not wealthy.

College students here drives scooters. They have electric ones where you don’t own the battery, but there are swap stations to get fresh batteries to allow for road trips. Those scooters are about 80,000 new, with unlimited driving costing 800 a month. You pay subscription to use it because you are paying for the battery and the electricity. I think there is a large subsidy if you buy such a scooter.

Cars are really only needed in the east but even then majority are going to have scooters.

Car theft is extremely rare in Taiwan, as are theft of any kind. Thief will be caught within hours especially if it’s a car.

1 Like

The price of the car is irrelevant. You could buy a brand new Toyota VIOS on 0% finance, and your monthly payments for the car would still be less than the monthly cost of two parking spots (one by your house and one by your office or school). This is why most people buy new here, because there is no point buying a used car for 100k and then putting it in a car park space that costs 1 million NT. If you can justify spending 10k a month on various parking spots, then you can easily justify 20 or 30k a month on car payments, which is why there are so many German cars driving around.

5 Likes

I believe you can rent parking space in Taipei for about 3000 a month, or it’s higher now.

One reason for all the illegal parking is because there is nowhere to park since the government isn’t imposing artificial restrictions on car ownership.

Inevitable maintenance not included*

:rofl::rofl:

But yeah esp for a uni student, prob better to get a scoot scoot.b

1 Like

I see lots of signs in Xinzhuang for 2500-3500 a month parking spots, but when I enquire they say they are full. And those are the outdoor ones

Just take the mrt or ride scooters. This region is impractical for cars.

I honestly wish they restrict cars to only people with a demonstrated need for them.

It’s one reason why Taiwan is pedestrian hell, too many cars.

1 Like

Let’s be fair. It really depends where @The_Seeker is seeking to drive. Up in the mountains? In the middle of Tainan County? Daan Distrinct of Taipei City? Clearly conditions and costs will vary.

Guy

Areas universities located at will not be good for driving.

I do not know any college students in Taiwan that have a car, they all drive scooters if they drove at all. I’m sure exceptions exist, like those second generation rich folks… but I suspect they will not be studying in Taiwan.

In new Taipei you can park down “Country lanes”. There is one near me but 15 minute walk from my place. Lots of cars down there , but nothing new and nice. About 5 minutes from my place is about 3000 a month for Tu Cheng or San Sha.
Going on a trip it’s better to rent a car.

Yea, and danshui isn’t really good to get to by car honestly. There’s one highway and it’s always jammed up. I was reading about why danshui real estate price is consistently low and traffic is apparently the biggest reason. That danshui LRT is extremely slow for some reason, it’s actually faster to take the bus. No idea why it was even built to begin with.

It’s not worth it to own cars in Taipei unless you either need it for work (like uber driver, delivery service or whatever) or family. Almost everyone else it’s cheaper to rent whenever you need the car, or hire a taxi.

Guys, location is Kaohsiung. Universities there like Sun Yat-Sen, I-Shou, University of Hospitality… how’s the parking in those places?

Unless the guy in question wants a car for the beach, the mountains, etc. Then all he needs parking at home.

1 Like

NT$80K and up, absolute minimum price for any junker is about 50K due to the government scrappage schemes which keep prices artificially high. If you have a local garage you trust then have them check it out however at this price it’s getting into pot luck territory. I highly recommend spending a little more and getting something from Autocheckers, you’re probably looking at 150K+.

2 Likes

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: Did you read any of the post? Location is given, question was on how much a used car would cost not about wealthy people with babies or any of the other nonsense you spouted.

2 Likes

I met someone who claimed to have paid 26,000nt for a junker. Was he just lucky?

Sold

2 Likes