Private Schools in Taiwan Thread (For Teachers)

Unfortunately, the vast majority of ABT, CBT, AustBT, BBT, etc. end up with a much lower salary than “Western” looking foreigners, no matter the school. Many schools eagerly employ them knowing they can do a great job, but at half the price.

It is still worth trying though,

sure, I don’t know about the pay or why someone who is of Asian descent who grew up in a Western country would ever accept lower pay than one of their white peers, but certainly it could be the case that they might try to treat you like a local staff member, which can be considerably worse than how they treat foreign staff.

Hello! I’ve worked at Kang Chiao International School. Feel free to contact me with questions about my experience.

Hello Friends,

Has anyone got information about Dominican International School Kaohsiung. I have been approached for middle school maths and physics teacher position(Interview is tomorrow). I would like to know the approx pay scale. I read in an article that international schools in Taiwan pay upto 6000 USD is that true?? I also got selected for a teaching job in Uae they offer 16000 Aed (4300 USD) bt their paper work take upto 3 months. So I’m looking out for other options. Please share your suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

I don’t know any of the specifics about pay and all that, but I live in Kaohsiung and that school has a good reputation. If I were in your shoes, I’d seriously consider their offer. Just ask about pay at the interview. Most full-time ESL jobs here pay between 55k NTD and 75k NTD a month, with some outliers paying a bit more or a bit less. If you mean you think you’d get 6,000 USD a month, which is the equivalent of approximately 180k NTD a month… well, that, I highly doubt.

I’d never work in the UAE (or any Middle Eastern country), even if I were paid double what I was making in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Taipei American School pays around that much, maybe the European school, maybe…

I think you can dig up some old threads about Dominican Kaohsiung, from what I remember, the comments are really not good, but they’re around a decade old at this point, if I remember correctly.

I have no idea what they pay, it will be based in part on your experience and education level of course. But from someone I know who used to work at Dominican Taipei, you could expect to make around half the amount of the first figure you posted.

You’re probably better off working in Taiwan, you might get a little more money in the UAE, but it depends if you wanna put up with the environment. KH is a pretty nice place to live (save the air pollution) and it has a really low cost of living. Taxes are absurdly low in Taiwan too.

1 Like

I’ve just arrived in Taiwan not too long ago, and would like to hear some of your opinions. I’m American with all my paperwork except for a substitute teaching license that’s on the way.
Here’s the deal, I don’t have any teaching experience bar working at a daycare for 3 years. No class room experience, TEFL didn’t help much at all to prep me. Should I apply for a private school or get some experience at a cram school?

If you don’t feel prepared (and it doesn’t sound like you are), it’s better to go the cram school route. Some have materials and a set curriculum ready to go, which will help you get a better feel for things. On the other hand, real schools will require you to be able to design your own lessons, worksheets, tests, and other materials according to the textbooks they’ve provided you.

1 Like

What does this mean?
You need a license to get hired outside the buxiban system.

The only way around that is if the school does not need to supply your ARC because you have a JFRV or APRC.

1 Like

I’ve been told/job ads say that a substitute license will suffice. They will provide an ARC no mentions of JFRV APRC. I’m new and stand to be corrected

Yes it will. But you need it before you apply.

1 Like

Ah, my license is 4-5 days out. They will email it to me and send me a hard-copy to my place back in the States. It’s through the California gov system.

I would suggest applying for elementary teaching jobs in 1st or 2nd grade since you have experience with younger kids.

1 Like

Okay I will take your advice, I’m going to go talk to cram and early elementary schools. Would the best way to go about it to be sending my resume in person? Should I go from school to school with my CV in nice cloths (not suite and tie, just arrived need to adjust to the weather)?
Thanks a bunch for your advice =]

I think this makes the best impression. It’s also just easier to communicate in person.

1 Like

I’m astounded that it’s possible to get a substitute teacher’s license with zero observed practicum. Is this really true?

1 Like

In my state (California) it is. After a few tests, CA state and FBI background check.

Iirc, a substitute teacher license is usually ok, unless the license says you can only teach at a specific school or for a short limited period.

1 Like

Would the best way to go about it to be sending my resume in person? Should I go from school to school with my CV in nice cloths (not suite and tie, just arrived need to adjust to the weather)?

Depending on the school, the security guard may not let you in without an appointment. Even if you could get in, you may have trouble locating the HR office if it’s a larger campus.

I got paid a little more than the local Taiwanese teachers but still less than the Western teachers. What sucked was being held to Taiwanese standards of having to come in early/leave late as well as nitpicking over my personal life.

I got written up simply for being seen outside of working hours, off campus, with a female colleague. When I pointed out that there were other couples at the school, I basically was told that if I was a foreigner they’d not say anything because “It’s a different culture” but as a Taiwanese me being seen with a female colleague would be bad for the school’s image.

1 Like

Yep. I don’t remember which, but in some states you don’t even need to be in the state. If you can get your fingerprints done in Taiwan and the FBI accepts it, the background check is the only hurdle. I was going to try it, but decided I didn’t like the sound of teaching at a private school.

1 Like