Private tutoring 2021 going rate

I’ve already had a look around the forum but most of the posts I’ve found are from several years ago.

I’m working in a Buxiban at the minute, but am looking to move more towards teaching adults. I have a couple of potential adult students asking for lessons. The thing is, I have no idea what the average hourly rate is for tutoring in Taipei.

All of the info I’ve found suggests a range between about 800-1000 ntd, but some of those posts are over a decade old. Anyone able to give me any more up to date info? I’d really appreciate it.

Average rate depends on where and what you are teaching, plus your negotiating skills. For example, in Taoyuan an experienced IELTS teacher will be getting 1500 an hour.

To be more helpful - I have not noticed any increase in pay in the last decade. So, 800 to 1000 sounds like a starting point for a basic conversation lesson. Start at 1000 and see if they bite. Get them to study in groups if you can. Then you can earn really good coin.

5 Likes

So I just moved back to Taiwan in mid-Feb. It’s been 10 years since I last lived here. I’m guessing this obviously still applies since the advice is only 6 months old. Any difference in rates based on location? Taipei vs not? Thanks.

IMO the situation is the same as ten years ago. Average hourly rates haven’t increased.

I’ve heard Hsinchu has some good gigs nowadays.

2 Likes

Thanks. 'preciate it. Yeah, we’re in Zhongli. My wife is from here. I wasn’t actually planning to work in a school–I run a freelance writing business–but some of my wife’s family and friends have asked about me doing some tutoring for them and I had no ideas about the rates anymore. Writing is such solitary work that’d be nice to do some conversational sessions with people–especially since everyone I knew 10 years ago has moved out.

An alternative to the suggested 1:1 for 800-1000/hr is to offer “small group” lessons for 350/person/hr., min 3 people, welcome to invite as many friends as they want. I did that a while back (only I charged 300/hr because I didn’t want to scare people off) and at one point I had 8 kids coming. That was a solid income. Definitely not legal though, from an educating people standpoint, no matter what your visa situation is. I will emphasize that any cram school owner or jealous neighbor can make your life miserable if you’re not careful. It’s been posted elsewhere, but most counties only allow a max of usually under 5 students total for private tutoring.

3 Likes

1,500 an hour?! That’s crazy.

That’s 3,000,000 a year if you can pull in full time

You probably won’t be getting many hours teaching IELTS.

It would exhaust every part of your being to teach for 40 hours/week. Especially your voice and your brain.

But I have people willing to do 1:1 with me in Taipei for English and Chinese at 1800/hr. I use actually comprehensible input (input that is comprehensible, not just “input” that people meaninglessly tack the adjective “comprehensible” in front of), so my students tend to be older people who insist they are “unteachable” who then realize that actually, their brain is capable of acquiring a second language, they just didn’t have teachers who helped them previously.

Not unheard of.

Never heard of anyone having a one on one classes schedule remotely close to a full time job.

2 Likes

Especially if there are holidays or regular tummy aches each month. This past February was a kick in the dick.

Ah ok I see so the high rate is also unpredictable. How much time/money goes into just finding clients I wonder

Just out of curiosity I calculated what a teacher with 20 vacation days, enjoying the official holidays, and teaching 7 hours a day at 1,500 per hour would make: 2.404,500.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m of the opinion that most English teachers, especially those who won’t stop bragging about how good they are and looking down on other teacher’s qualifications shouldn’t make more than 250NT per hour, but it’s not really as you depicted it.

Bragging can help when upping hourly play. It needs to be handled carefully, of course.

My hourly pay rates vary from 900 to 1300 an hour at the moment. I could earn more monthly with a lower hourly rate but more block hours, or I could earn a higher hourly rate but with fewer hours. Swings and roundabouts.

I’d probably earn more teaching daytime Kindy, evening buxiban, plus weekend privates, overall.

1 Like