Problems with Labor Insurance

Just a little rant.
I worked as a teacher at a public school (MOE contract). It is an 11 month contract (Aug 17 - Jul 16). Effectively it means I’m unemployed between contracts. I’ve been living and working in Taiwan for almost 17 years (and paying my labor insurance). When a parent dies, you can claim funeral benefits (3x salary).
So my father died July 18 2021, two days after my contract ended and in this ‘unemployed’ month between contracts. I went to Labor Insurance wanting to claim funeral benefits for my father’s death. Sorry, computer says ‘No’.
Just want to remind people that with gaps in your employment, years and years of labor insurance means nothing.
And one question: could I have paid my own labor insurance for that month or do I have to be employed?

Yea sorry for your loss.

Labor insurance is primarily for unplanned shit that happens which causes you to have to miss work, which is why there’s a funeral benefit. So if your contract ended, labor insurance doesn’t cover you.

Sad but true.

1 Like

Iiuc there is such a thing as laobao for the self-employed, but only for the unionized self-employed, provided the union registers them, or something.

http://www.nftu.org.tw/Branch/Branch.aspx

1 Like