Process to obtain a Taiwanese Passport through Family member

Hi all,

My mother who was born in China but has given that up for a taiwanese passport. I would like to know what is the current process to obtain a Taiwanese Passport through her. Ive been told by a friend who currently held a taiwanese passport that I have to live in taiwan for a certain amount of time before im allowed to apply? If so, how long? What other documentation is required?

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,
Jimmy

did she already have a Taiwanese passport when you were born?

1 Like

And was she born in China before the People’s Republic took over/has documents of being an ROC citizen from mainland China before communist rule

No.

She was born in 1972

your mother didn’t have a taiwanese passport. Then, how about your father? If so, you could get a taiwanese passport through him.

If he didn’t have a taiwanese passport, were you born as a Chinese? If so, and you still be a Chinese, you could convert it to taiwanese one after living here for a while. If no, you need to naturalize as a foreigner.

How to get a passport depends on the above.

1 Like

Mother and father have separated. I was born in mainland china. How long do i have to live in Taiwan to be eligible for Taiwanese passport Citizenship?

Do you mean you can’t get any documents of your father? That might cause some complications, but let it leave now.

It depends on several things. Whether you are a taiwanese, a chinese, or a foreigner, if you are a minor or an adult, how you live in Taiwan, etc.