Products from home that you'd like to see sold here

Deli meats. They are gone. I mean mortadela. Chicken ham that does not look plastic. Pastrami that does not shine like sequins.

5 Likes

Have you been to CitySuper or Jasons? I’ve seen a tonne of deli meats there.

They used to carry a variety of deli meats. Not anymore. It’s all ham now.

1 Like

Not anymore. Went to Jason’s yesterday. That was the plastic ham. And its meats are made in Taiwan. I pass.

City Super used to have nice deli meats, from Europe. Used to.

Friggin protectionism.

1 Like

Frozen big soft pretzels like Auntie Anne’s or Super Pretzel.

Amy’s microwaveable burritos. Those are damn good!

Quaker instant oatmeal packets. Maple and brown sugar, apple cinnamon, etc.

Cereals:

Shredded wheat
Variety of Cheerios
Cream of Wheat

Gold Bond products are good too. Especially their eczema relief cream. People have tons of skin problems here that are multiplied by the humidity.

Oh I remember those. They were good and very practical.

1 Like

I don’t need anymore, but was happy if they had liquid infant formula. Or do they have?

my two musts are

1. fresh mozzarella. sometimes you see it in ximen carrefor but by and large this item is either a myth or costs like 250 ntd for one ball(in city super). i could accept 100ntd for one, even though thats still steep it would be worth it for being able to make a pizza.

2. baby leaf spinach. for salad here you are basically limited to lettuce, taiwanese don’t seem to mind but i moved on from lettuce to baby leaf spinach years ago and i can’t go back even if i want to.

thats basically it, i would be happy if i could get those two on a regular!

Yeah great call on more variety of fresh veg for Salad. Very poor selection here.

3 Likes

Peaches! Honest to goodness fresh Western peaches with the orange color flesh. Not the white flesh Asian peaches and not canned ones.

Apricots too!

1 Like

Shilin Carrefour almost always have fresh mozzarella. I’m pretty sure their own brand is less than NT$100, but don’t quote me on that.

You can make your own, you know.

Known-You seeds have big packs of seeds for growing green leaves, about 20 different varieties, including leaf beet and spinach.

Philo pastry dough. I’ve seen it in Carrefour with filling already in it, but just plain sheets would be nice

2 Likes

Many if not all baking supply stores have it. Cheap too. Big sheets or small squares.

1 Like

really? well if thats the case can the OP please tell the carrefour bossman to pull his finger out and get mozzarella stocked regularly in all the (big ones at least) carrefours! i think taiwanese would buy that over that generic ‘pizza cheese’ if they tried it. theres no comparison.

on a serious note, carrefour is pretty great for getting in new products, even saw nut milk recently which i’ve been waiting for years for, but its probably been too long so i don’t know what to do with it now.

Are you sure you’re not thinking of puff pastry? I’ve never seen it here

Hmmmm…not sure. Probably puff pastry. I’ll take a closer look next time I go.

Yes. Philo sheets are paper thin

True, but not that great at keeping those things available on a regular basis. Here one day, gone for who knows how long. And many things they import feel really random.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed different stores vary dramatically in the product lines they carry. The Shilin store seems to be one of the best. I guess it depends on the local customer base - there must be a lot of cheese monsters living around Shilin, because there’s usually a good selection.

2 Likes