Professor investigated for pressuring Taiwan student over nationality

Exactly. Not what a professor is supposed to do.

1 Like

Was Harvey Weinstein cancel culture? Many examples from the #Metoo movement fit this description from @OrangeOrganics

He is abusing his position as a _____________ to bully/harass/assault _________.

I’m not dogmatic in saying cancelling someone is always wrong just that we tend to view tactics differently when they support our position. A petition to fire the professor is cancel culture. Should it be up to a petition whether someone loses their job or the standards of the university?

2 Likes

No, and neither is this case of a bullying professor. @mad_masala has explained it clearly.

this is generally true

it isn’t up to the petition

4 Likes

Exactly. This is akin to treating gay people or anything else with prejudice. many a place doesnt recognize gay marriage but the prof would be cancelled right quick if he forced a gay student that is married to renouce his/her marriage status.

Teachers have rights of opinions. But not rights of enforcing identities on people against their will.

2 Likes

When people in a position of power is abusing it and imposing political ideology, I don’t see calls to correct it as canceling someone. It’s holding someone accountable.

I would say canceling someone is more of a term of mob like mentally to damage someone for their own beliefs. I’ve had professors who were legit CCP members, I allow them to believe in that and we may disagree publicly. But unless they force me to believe the same, especially if it meant how it would affect my grades, I would say that is crossing the line. It also goes against the spirit of a uni environment where you allow students to have their own beliefs.

4 Likes

You are illustrating my point. When it justifies your position, it’s called ‘holding someone accountable’.

Using a petition to pressure a school to fire a professor is mob justice. If the school does not have adequate policies to address the situation, then the alternative would be to address the root cause (policies that allow this behavior) rather than relying on the mob to make moral decisions.

2 Likes

Not at all. I would be equally as appalled to see a Taiwanese professor make a Chinese student put west Taiwan.

I wouldn’t. It would be totally justified.

I guess it depends on the reason argued…? Like, for example, if the teacher bullies students for political reasons, he doesn’t seem to be the best teacher out there. If the reason is something like being gay, or having backward political postures, or liking rock music, or having said something idiotic on twitter… then it sounds more like cancelling him.

@Malasang88 I just don’t agree with your definition of cancel culture, which seems to be petitioning something.

If I were to support cancel culture in the way it is used in the majority of situations (progressives trying to silence people - i.e. anyone who doesn’t agree with them absolutely), then I would be looking for outlier situations like this in order to point the hypocrisy finger.

It’s my opinion that that is what @Malasang88 is doing. They can disagree with me if they wish.

1 Like

Well I would suggest before making assumptions and formulating an opinion about what someone does or does not support you ask them instead. This attempt to label is shameless and harkens back to your racist progressive thread. The history of my posts clearly land on the side of free speech.

Cancel culture is a social phenomenon of mob/social justice that is apolitical. It is neither left, nor right, nor center. I did not support Al Franken being cancelled by Democrats just as I did not support Liz Cheney currently being cancelled by Republicans. I did not support Louis CK being cancelled. I do not support teachers/students being silenced in the classroom. Just to give a few examples. Clear?

My point is that we tend to use certain vocabulary to label things depending on where we land on an issue. It’s not ‘cancel culture’ it’s society ‘holding someone accountable’ when in reality the tactics are the same.

You chose to get involved in this thread for what reason?

The tactics were invented by some. They were then used by others.

“This attempt to label is shameless and harkens back to your racist progressive thread.”

I feel you need to elaborate on this slur. Progressives are racists, of course, but I don’t make racist progressive threads.

Below is a clip that I think encapsulates exactly what people are having an issue with cancel culture. It’s not ‘holding someone accountable’ it’s bullying, threats of repercussions browbeating, public verbal assaults and it may be for having an opinion, one which should be allowed and respected as being their opinion, this is not to get into the whole trans debate.

She’s basically saying women are afraid, scared, they are told to be silent and not to speak up, they are afraid if they say what they really think and feel, they might lose their scholarship they might not be able to compete in sports, they might not as a consequence be able to go to university. Prompted at the 10 min mark. Advice for women wanting to get into swimming, the whole clip is worth a watch.

2 Likes

Or pressuring a university to fire a professor instead either relying on a university’s system of governance itself or addressing the university’s policies if they are inadequate.

Clark thinks one reason that cancel culture has become such a hot national topic is people in powerful positions are unaccustomed to having to answer to marginalized people who, through social media, have greater access to them than ever.

So how did an effort to hold people accountable for their actions become politicized and get so out of control? To understand the uproar over cancel culture, it may help to examine the past.

In other words, one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.

Except for the US, all the other countries that recognise China acknowledge that Taiwan is part of the PRC.

1 Like

I didn’t weigh in on this case.

Not really, I am looking at this from a freedom of speech, freedom of thought and freedom to express oneself in ways which are within their rights to do so.

Even the Professor has the right to hold the belief he/she does, switching languages to address the issue and “recommend” the student make a change on how he expressed themselves, I think the professor knew it was an abuse of power, which is why he switched languages so everyone else wouldn’t understand what he was saying. Posting a video of the student having changed the place of residence to his “suggestion” is gloating.

I would however think the University is capable of handling the situation, calling for his firing seems over the top, an apology I think would suffice. with the caveat, if the Professor in the video showed the students face or disclosed his name, the university should fire him.

Again, the mob mentality is not really fueled by a need to get justice, it’s a pitchfork burn the witch at the stake kind of hate hoping to inflict as much pain and damage on individuals and gleefully celebrating the carnage they create.

But you watch, I think the Professor may well apologize, but apologies are never sufficient for the cancel culture crowd, in fact they see that as a sign they have drawn blood and double down ever harder for much harsher penalties.

1 Like

I again strongly disagree.

Trying to damage someone for their beliefs is cancel culture.

Trying to hold someone accountable for forcing others to believe what they believe in a position of power is not cancel culture.

I’ve made it very clear on my own example of someone like the professor. They can be a CCP troll as long as they don’t make me say Taiwan is part of china, I don’t care.

I also didn’t participate in the petition. I do believe the university can handle it internally. This isn’t cancelling to bring attention to the school on this abuse of power and poor behavior not in the spirit of freedom of speech in academia.

The difference to pretty clear to me.

1 Like

Perfect description.

I’m so careful of what I post and talk about with my business for example. One brand in my industry in the US lost 25k followers overnight because they posted all lives matter.

As much as the progressives want to be the white knight for people like me. I’m not scared of the KKK, white supremacist, or neo nazis coming after me. They never bothered me. It’s the progressive left that’s mostly doing the bullying right now.

4 Likes