Proposed monster dorm at UCSB sparks controversy

Stop! You’re going to make me nostalgic for Chungking Mansions! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Immortalized by the great Wong Kar-wai!

Guy

News, April 2030, 37 killed in fire at the Charles Munger Dorm.

Yes you would think the two exits for 4500 students design would perhaps catch someone’s attention!

Guy

Wah, enormous exits, 180 feet wide. :rofl:

If they’re being allowed to build it, it must be up to code, right? Isn’t that how it works in the US?

I feel like there’s probably another side to this story, although I don’t know what it is.

1 Like

Maybe there will be airplane style inflatable exits on the sides.

1 Like

You’d think a google search would bring it up, if indeed UCBC wants to get its story out (i.e. why a public institution is willing to give a carte blanche in designing a dorm to an amateur in exchange for $$$).

Guy

Apparently Munger already funded a smaller version of this at UMich.

The multi-bedroom suites with private baths and shared living spaces look nice. The ones at UCSB will apparently have ‘artificial windows’ - i.e. screens, like on some cruise ships. I can’t get behind the bitching about this.

1 Like

Munger’s proposed building is hideous, and the plan should be rejected by the University.

I can’t help commenting on this:

Another way to understand such donations is that only rich guys are selfless enough to give away their money for the good of the community, while rich gals are so greedy that they won’t share their wealth, not even to get their name on a Uni building!

student dorms in the US often do look like county jails in terms of how they’re designed and material used.

1 Like

That was a weird place to go. But there are loads of studies showing the opposite.

I was not asserting facts. I was questioning afterspivak’s assumption.

So his statement assumes that: IF rich guy donates money, THEN the motivation for doing so was to get his name on a building, and that this desire is due to gender. Why not assume that the motivation is to help students, or help the university?

I was only providing an alternative possibility, and yes it was a bit of a jab to encourage considering another point of view, namely that people donate to be helpful, and we can’t ascribe motives to gender.

And, Munger’s proposed building is hideous.

You like the idea of screens instead of real windows? :open_mouth:

Only if it watches you and reminds you to follow the party line.

No, but it’s better than neither. And the suite setup is pretty awesome. And the common spaces look pretty great.

1 Like

I lived in a basement once, so no windows is a deal-breaker for me.

Windows make a big difference in how a room will feel.

When I was in prison, most cells don’t have windows, or at least the windows are tiny or small. Obviously to prevent escape. But at some facilities, particularly facilities that used to be a military base, the window is big and there are bars/screens over them to make it more secure. It makes a huge difference about confinement. Even though you are still confined, having a big window just makes the confinement hurt a lot less than a tiny little window. Being able to see what’s going on outside helps with psychological things.

2 Likes

I went and checked out the dorm. Looks great to me. Common areas are amazing and have natural light. Bedrooms are for sleeping or perhaps studying. That’s great that they are quiet and can be made pitch dark or insanely bright based on needs. It’s not like college students have the most regular sleeping schedules anyways.

2 Likes

Yea… I’m sure that sucks when confined. Except they’re not confined. In Santa Barbara. I work in windowless offices. It’s not that big a deal (although windows would be nicer), and I don’t even sleep there!