Proposed New Immigration Measures (January 2023 edition)

I agree, it’s nice that it passed but that article may confuse people as the text doesn’t distinguish between APRC types which are still under different rules.

2 Likes

this is following.

Announcement of the Draft Amendment of Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency of Aliens

六、放寬外國人從事就業服務法第46條第1項第8款至第10款工作者,於申請核發外僑居留證之同時,得申請核發多次重入國許可。

2 Likes

All great improvements. Now get rid of the renunciation double standard and call it a day :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That will be a huge improvement for them. :+1:

Been calling for that past 25 years. Nada not happening maybe the appeal by Mattiaou will work.

2 Likes

The NewLens has a brief—and frankly annoyingly vague—report on the changes to the immigration act, which the MOI calls the most significant changes in 24 years (before then Taiwan did not have an immigration act).

Guy

The legislation is hyperspecified, but in very nebulous language. That is why legal issues here are such a headscratcher. If they want wiggle room they should just stick to principles-based legislation, if they want rules they have to use very exact language.

I think professional writers in this region get a kick out of this.

Always laugh at the keeners that think contacting some interest group or politician outside of Taiwan will make a difference. From the time of Hartzell onwards, there have been incremental gains. But not by dilettantes or politicians overseas—it has been from those with connections within Taiwan. But this change? Will never happen me thinks.

1 Like

I don’t think it will happen either, not in this lifetime

Working on it

Didn’t contact any of that, made an appeal at the control yuan to eliminate a rule applying to nationals of the ROC in a discriminatory way. The renounciation requirement is applied to already nationals, not to foreigneirs, hence it discriminates against a certain group of nationals, u can follow the citizenship thread and have a look at my appeal too.

Before talking, better reading. I do read the laws, that’s the only thing that matters here

5 Likes

The Legislature has passed changes to the law that will see the spouses and children of “high-level” professionals granted easier access to permanent residence in Taiwan. But the changes will not apply to the vast majority of Taiwan’s foreign population, including migrant workers and white-collar workers who don’t meet the standard.

1 Like

That’s why we have the word hope. Maybe sometime in the future could be another 30 years or so. Who knows? I’m always amused when people claim reciprocity on citizenship would help Taiwan with international relations. Dream on I say. Hartzell was granted dual citizenship. There should be some hope for others. It happened in his lifetime after all.

2 Likes

They may as well just include this text as a footer at the bottom of every policy/news article being presented as a change that positively affects foreigners living in Taiwan. At least this video mentions that.

See this is what is extremely annoying with these media reports in English.

Already within the APRC category we have a pile of distinctions, including so-called “senior professionals”, so-called “special professionals” (I think these are the Gold Card folks who flipped into an APRC) and so on. So what then is a “high-level professional”? Honestly I can’t follow these guys as they report on matters of interest.

I wonder if our resident Taiwan government decoder @fifieldt is able to help here?

Guy

2 Likes

Unfortunately it seems Taiwanese NWOHR still need to live in Taiwan for a year before being able to obtain household registration.

If you were in the club, you’d know. :wink:

I think we can say “hell” on Forumosa!

1 Like

Amended to avoid causing offence.

Apologies for my frustration. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Yeah, I almost fainted when I saw such profanity as “h&ll” on the internet…