Pros and Cons of living in Tainan

Hi team!

Well Ive been waiting 3 years, and will finally return to Taiwan in October/November this year!

Will settle first in Taichung where my friends live (Wu-Chi) but my plan is to live and (hopefully) work in Tainan.

Can anyone give me any tips and general information about Tainan? I have visited there once and saw An Ping temple etc… and visited some of the markets but didnt stay more than one day.

The people seemed great though, very friendly and lots of smiles all round.

OK I have some specific questions.

• Whats the average price for a small apartment? I only need 1 or maybe 2 bedrooms, small kitchen and (definitely) aircon.
  • Is the public transport system adequate, or will i need to swallow my fears and buy a scooter?
  • What are the work prospects like? I was thinking to do some private english tuition at first while I hunt around for a ‘proper’ job.
  • Are there many foreigners living in Tainan? Are they certain areas where I can go and share a beer or 12 with other western folks?
  • I love videogames! Are there any gaming stores in Tainan? I found a couple of brilliant ones in Taiching so Im hoping there will be similar places in Tainan…
  • How is the new supertrain project going? Will it be possible to travel between Taichung and Tainan while Im hunting for a job/accomodation? And if so - how fast would it be? Ive heard it may be as little as 30 mins…
  • Things to do on weekends? Do they have any hot springs in Tainan area?

Thanks for any info! Cant wait to get back to Taiwan :smiley:

I stayed in Tainan for a few months a while back. I’ll give you a little insight, but I think some of the Tainaners here can give you a better persepective.

You’re gonna want to buy a scooter. I can’t recall any public transportation in Tainan. In fact, even in Kaohsiung, the PT sucks. Especially since you will be doing privates, a scooter is the only way to go. Unless you want to shell out the cash for taxis all the time. There are plenty of them.

It’s not Taipei, but there are quite a few. You won’t have a problem here, especially if you are buying.

Plenty of gaming. What else to Taiwanese boys do?

I suspect you mean the high speed rail. It is supposed to be open for business in October. I can’t imagine it will take much more than 30 min to get from Taichung to Tainan on it, however it will be pricey. There are low priced hostels in Tainan that I think will be better for you to use during your job search. Or, Job search online and then travel to Tainan via bus/rail to do the interviews demos.

Your question is moot. After living in Wuqi, wherever you move to will be like Athens, London, Paris, Rome. Unless you move to Shalu. That would be like moving to… Shalu.

I can’t believe you are bashing Shalu! It has a vibrant market scene.

I can’t believe you are bashing Shalu! It has a vibrant market scene.[/quote]
AND colourful and unique local culture!

I once asked where Clear Water’s water was, and was told they sell it to Shalu.

Bastards!

Pubba, why Tainan? You don’t seem to know much about it, so what’s the attraction?

Wouldn’t you be better off in a bustling metropolis like Shalu? They have a coin laundromat y’know.

So there’s a bus stop, a coin laundromat and a Teppanyaki restaurant in Shalu. Will wonders never cease?

Incidentally if you were considering moving back to Wuchi, there is a part-time job going there shortly.

I don’t believe there is a teppanyaki restaurant in Shalu.

The best thing about Shalu is the many different roads leading out of it.

Hahah thanks guys… Well I know to avoid this wonderful locale named ‘Shalu’ - cheers :slight_smile:

Actually Tainan isnt really that important, although I have a friend there who means a lot to me :wink: If its only 30 minutes by the new train system, Ill probably stay in Taichung

I found Wuqui a bit depressing… If it wasnt for the random fields of that yellow weed (?) everywhere, it would feel very drab. I have a great family that I can stay with though (Ching Day Electric Company) that makes drills and saws etc… They have one of those crazy 4 storey houses with the factory built off to the side. Gym, Karaoke room, huge restaurant style kitchen, 3 mangy sad looking dogs that wanted to eat my face… the works!

So after some consideration - I will probably settle in Taichung unless things get more serious with the girl in Tainan :wink:

Matchstick Man - can you tell me more about the part time job in Wu Qui? That would be brilliant if I can start work right away - even if its only a few hours per week.

Last time I was in Taiwan I supplemented my income by selling stuff on Ebay that I picked up at the local markets/factory outlets. At one stage I was earning more than my salary here in Australia! So thats definitely on the cards again when I go back to Taiwan :slight_smile:

I noticed HEAPS of foreigners in Taichung back in 2003 so Im hoping to get involved in the local expat scene and no doubt make a complete fool of myself at the first opportunity…!

Im stuck here at work in a thankless job, with no social life due to the shift work and no prospects of change. At least in Taiwan I can travel around Asia and meet other interesting folks that have escaped the drudgery of the western world :smiley:

Also the idea of teaching kids again really excites me! I would do that here but you need 4+ years of University (and all the costs that entails) plus spend years in some horrible backwater town dealing with the redneck locals and petty office politics…

At least in Taiwan after dealing with the redneck locals and petty office politics, I can jump on my scooter and explore until I find an interesting bar to drown my sorrows :smiley:

That is a classic. :bravo:

Hey pubba, Dr_Zoidberg and I are in Ching Shuei. Give us a shout and well go for a pint.

There are no cons for living in Tainan. The old capital of Taiwan. They had the right idea. A short trip to Kenting, a ferry trip to Penghu, a jump to Kaohsiung. We have everything and more. The best food and as said before all you need is a scooter to get around. Nice beaches here lots pubs, coffee shops, restaurants from around the world and the best weather in Taiwan. We hardly ever get hit by a typhoon, but get the days off. Tainan is the best of all worlds. Got the new department stores, got the old antique shops. Great history to see and new places to go to. Take my mountain bike and go around the trails around the mountains. Head down to An pin beach now nice and clean with lifeguards. Or stroll down the now non smelly river. I think Tainan is pretty good

Thanks! Will definitely do this, cant wait to meet some of you guys and hear all of your stories in person. Is Ching Shuei close to Wu-qui?

The size of the cities in Taiwan boggles my tiny Australian-centric brain. Cant ever imagine being able to find my way around at this stage… But you gotta be in it to win it right? Have to start somewhere :slight_smile:

Luckily the taxis are fairly cheap… Can see myself relying on them for a looong time :slight_smile:

After reading the horror stories in the ‘accident’ thread… Im even more reluctant to buy a scooter now… Hopefully I have more road sense than the mostly gormless Taiwan scooter traffic…!

Big Al thanks for your Tainan write up - that will definitely be my second home for the near future after arriving, and will probably settle there eventually. What are the summers like in Tainan as opposed to Taichung? I dont do summer very well… :frowning:

Thanks! Will definitely do this, can’t wait to meet some of you guys and hear all of your stories in person. Is Ching Shuei close to Wu-qui?[/quote]
It’s a twenty minute bike ride.

It helps, but is by no means fail-safe. The worst thing about traffic here is the way people make a right turn off one street onto another, they don’t stop, slow down, nor even look to see if there’s traffic. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve had to stand my scooter on its head for these dip shits.

[quote=“pubba”]What are the summers like in Tainan as opposed to Taichung? I dont do summer very well… :frowning:[/quote] Taiwan isn’t very big, so weather is pretty uniform the year round. If you don’t do summer very well it will take some getting used to. Having lived most of my life in the sub-arctic, it took me a couple years. The first summer is the worst.

OK - bought my ticket yesterday! Exciting is building now :slight_smile:

Have been dying to get back to Taiwan since 2003 so this is a huge event for me…!

Leaving on 1st November and staying for a month. Will have to quit my job here but have already save a couple of grand and should have another few by November.

Luckily I have some free accomodation lined up until I find my feet and get used to the scooter hi-jinx.

So Taichung will be my first home, and plan to visit Tainan every Sunday and Taiepei to check out the expat scene there, and job prospects.

Hopefully by November I will have completed my TEFL diploma and also have my Masters of Multimedia standing by.

Until then - Im going to read as many threads here as I can (and tealit.com) to get prepared.

Cant wait to meet some of your crazy cats! :smiley:

It’s called Rape. The emblem of Wuqi. Nice. :laughing:

My host made me pose for the obligatory ‘rape photo’ - its hanging on my wall at home :slight_smile:

Ohh, and you’re coming back for more. :laughing:

Well its free accomodation, and they love having me as an excuse to go sight seeing, plus the mother cooks a mean radish cake :wink:

The area is drab, but theres a sexy Betel Nut stand at the end of the street which makes for some nice eye candy every time we drive anywhere!