Pros and cons of purchasing a Kymco Quannon 150 in comparison to a 150cc scooter

Hello Forumosans, I have found both the Quannon and 150cc scooters (Kymco and Sym) within my not-so-impressive budget and I’m trying to weigh up the pros and cons of purchasing the Quannon before jumping straight in. I have considered a few things but I’d be greatful for more insights and opinions from those who are more knowledgeable in this area.
Some information about myself which may influence the discussion is the fact I haven’t ridden a geared bike since my teenage years and I’m a lanky cunt who’s 6’5.

The pros I have thought of are;

1. Looks cool brah.
  2. More conscious riding due to gears (can also be a con)
  3. Better riding position?

Cons;

1. More expensive to operate and maintain.
  2. No storage space.
  3. Less MPG.

As i said, I’m not too knowledgeable within this field of expertise and would appreciate all inputs to help with my decision.

Thanks!

so, basically between a crotch-rocket motorcycle and upright scooter?
how is the former “a better riding position” over the latter?

1 Like

Basically, yes.
And it’s a similar position to riding my bicycle, which I find more comfortable than the upright scooter on the few times I’ve rode one, especially over long distance

1 Like

If you do mostly city driving, the gears aren’t worth it

Aggressive riding position is better for aggressive driving. But if you’re new and especially in Taiwan aggressive driving is a bad idea

Rainy season is coming. A scooter has space for your rain gear, and you can wear a skirt style with your legs together, and a scooter can shield your legs

2 Likes

Forgot to mentionthat first point. I’ll still be cycling to work so wouldn’t be doing much city riding, the idea is using whichever one I buy to use for mountain roads and getting to good hiking trails.

And valid point about raining season arriving, appreciate that

1 Like

For mountain roads, and especially poor roads, I love my Wolf. Large tires and high clearance is handy for crap roads as well as hopping off of sidewalks

Wolf might be small for you, but have you considered a KTR?

The rain is an issue. I keep a spare pair of shoes at the office, and have rainpants but am thinking of having a full change of clothes at the office

2 Likes

I also find motorcycles more comfortable than scooters because you can grip the tank with your legs when braking etc. Scooters always give me more fatigue on longer rides than a standard riding position on a motorcycle. The quannon really isn’t that aggressive position, just has the crotch rocket body styling.

The rigidity of motorcycle frames is also preferred, you won’t find your hands bouncing around on bumps like on a scooter.

1 Like

That looks good, and I appreciate your research, but it’s slighty out of budget right now and with it being my birthday next saturday, I’m wanting to make the purchase sooner rather than later so I could get up the mountains for that occasion. But certainly an idea to consider, thanks.

Spare shoes and clothing at work is definitely a smart idea if I was to purchase the Quannon

That’s just the first one i saw, they can be cheaper

1 Like
  1. Obvious semantic association with Qanon

:wink:

4 Likes

I don’t see how that’s a con :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

rough

at any rate:

Qannon is more or less a POS. All the frills of a ‘sporty road bike’ but on the budget of a Wolf or KTR naked bike and without all the years of production and Honda heritage of the Wolf. It’s the same cc as the wolf or KTR but heavier (depending on production year) and way more money wasted on styling and nonsense. It’s all hat, no cattle, to use a nice Texan aphorism. And unlike the Wolf and KTR, it’s not half as bulletproof.

Also wtf is your budget if 35,000 is where you’re drawing the line? not saying you should be dropping a fortune on some old taiwanese motorcycles but you’d do a hell of a lot better to actually save for some time instead of impulse purchasing a Qannon. If you want to get a road bike get a proper road bike lmao, and if you’re totally set on the Qannon (or any other relatively cheap Taiwanese sportier looking manual like the t1 or the t2 which is 250cc so that’s worth thinking about) you might as well include like 10-15000 minimum for your repair costs especially for the Qannon. In addition to PROPER GEAR because we are not dumdums who wear little eggshells and flip flops… right? Maybe you’ll get lucky and get one that’s the exception to the rule and actually is good. But more likely than not you’ll have some fun problems to deal with and be left with a just… mid road bike.

But hey, if you like it, go for it. That’s half of the game and it’s not for me to judge on that because I spend around 3000 more on my wolf than I might’ve had to in order to get a color that i like more :smiley:

Mercifully if you do go for that one, there’s a large spare part bank from all the old ones which have been scrapped :sweat_smile: . Also a pretty good modding scene for them.

1 Like

I do but I tell everyone else not to.

3 Likes

I have expensive full face helmet, and armored jacket, even just to go to the market. Long trips I have tall motocycle boots, armored gloved, and armored pants. Looks a bit sill maybe to have all the kit on and riding just a little wolf 150, but I feel safe! 20 or 25k maybe all in for all that

3 Likes

Better safe than sorry.

As I was told by an instructor (not into racing but got a few free lessons once).

“Think about running down the street as fast as you can, then dive on to the pavement. Now think about how it would feel at twice the speed with a big chunk of hot metal on top of you.”.

My problem stems back to the 70’s, riding pillion on my grandads or uncles bikes, completely sans-safety, its hard to grow out off.

1 Like

I wish I was as safe as you, but I do at least get the gloves full helmet and bootsies :stuck_out_tongue: working my way up to AGAAT :sweat_smile:

1 Like