Protest March Against the Big Hotel in Taitung

Date: Sun, Dec 19

Time: 2pm (sharp)

Meeting Place: the site of the big hotel on Shan Yuan Beach, between Taitung city and Dulan

Program: We will meet at the above then convoy it into Taitung City

Point of it all: This mega hotel has been illegally built on one of the nicest beaches in Taiwan and it’s a monstrous ugly blight on the area. The high court has ruled it to be illegal (several times) but somehow they have still received permission to go ahead by the local council - something smells very fishy. Whatever, it’s just not suitable for the style of this area. Taitung is fine like it is - clean, natural, low rise development. The grand plan is to turn it into another Kenting and a turck 'em in spot for mainland tourists - we really don’t need that here - there are plenty of very nice ming su’s here already. Several other big-assed hotels are watching this case carefully. If this one is allowed to go ahead then it will trigger a mega-corporation invasion of the area. That would be a terrible shame. People often feel like there is nothing you can do about this sort of thing in Taiwan, but this case could be different as there is a large community-based protest movement developing. But this is basically the last line of defense.

If you can’t get to the rally, which you probably can’t because I’m pretty late posting this, you might like to join the facebook site: facebook.com/dulandrift#!/pr … 1604380137

picture of hotel:

[quote=“dulan drift”]Date: Sun, Dec 19

Meeting Place: the site of the big hotel on Shan Yuan Beach, between Taidong city and Dulan

Program: We will meet at the above then convoy it into Taidong City

Point of it all: This mega hotel has been illegally built on one of the nicest beaches in Taiwan and it’s a monstrous ugly blight on the area. The high court has ruled it to be illegal (several times) but somehow they have still received permission to go ahead by the local council - something smells very fishy. Whatever, it’s just not suitable for the style of this area. Taidong is fine like it is - clean, natural, low rise development. The grand plan is to turn it into another Kending and a turck 'em in spot for mainland tourists - we really don’t need that here - there are plenty of very nice ming su’s here already. Several other big-assed hotels are watching this case carefully. If this one is allowed to go ahead then it will trigger a mega-corporation invasion of the area. That would be a terrible shame. People often feel like there is nothing you can do about this sort of thing in Taiwan, but this case could be different as there is a large community-based protest movement developing. But this is basically the last line of defense.

If you can’t get to the rally, which you probably can’t because I’m pretty late posting this, you might like to join the facebook site: facebook.com/dulandrift#!/pr … 1604380137

picture of hotel: photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak … 0244_s.jpg[/quote]

What’s the name of the hotel. DO they have a website? Is there any media information about their legal status? It sounds like an interesting issue - let’s shine a little light on the situation!

The hotel is called 美麗灣 Meiliwan.

The stretch of beach that it has been built on [strike]is[/strike] was one of the nicest spots in the area.

It is an absolute disgrace that the place got built in the first place. Here is a Taipei Times article about it http://www.taipeitimes.com.tw/News/front/archives/2010/10/02/2003484331

The results of a protracted series of court cases and appeals is publically known and the case has drawn some media attention but hasn’t really gained much traction in terms of any outlet taking it up as an issue - just reporting on the odd protest. But that could still happen.

The name of the hotel is ‘Beautiful Bay Hotel’. ‘Used-to-be-beautiful Bay Hotel’ would be a better name.

I took my son there today. Told him to enjoy it while he can, before thousands of da lu ren turn the beach into a toilet.
I’m glad he got to learn to surf there, but sad to think my grand kids won’t.

Good luck. I’d have gone down if I was on the ROC right now. That beach is one of the very best there is, and the hotel is a shocker. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you, but as the hotel is 90% complete, I’d imagine it’s a losing battle. It ain’t as if Taiwan is overflowing with perfect beaches. This is one of the few ones left.

[quote=“dulan drift”]Date: Sun, Dec 19

Meeting Place: the site of the big hotel on Shan Yuan Beach, between Taidong city and Dulan

Program: We will meet at the above then convoy it into Taidong City

Point of it all: This mega hotel has been illegally built on one of the nicest beaches in Taiwan and it’s a monstrous ugly blight on the area. The high court has ruled it to be illegal (several times) but somehow they have still received permission to go ahead by the local council - something smells very fishy. Whatever, it’s just not suitable for the style of this area. Taidong is fine like it is - clean, natural, low rise development. The grand plan is to turn it into another Kending and a turck 'em in spot for mainland tourists - we really don’t need that here - there are plenty of very nice ming su’s here already. Several other big-assed hotels are watching this case carefully. If this one is allowed to go ahead then it will trigger a mega-corporation invasion of the area. That would be a terrible shame. People often feel like there is nothing you can do about this sort of thing in Taiwan, but this case could be different as there is a large community-based protest movement developing. But this is basically the last line of defense.

picture of hotel: [/quote]

kewl