PS3 Slim Language

Hey PS3 owners, can I purchase a PS3 in Taiwan and change the language to default English - will this apply it with the games as well? If not, do I have to import both the console+games or just the games?

Thanks!

Changing to English was no problem on my old model, I guess the OS is the same. I believe all PS3 games are region free. It’s not a problem getting most English games here. Many aren’t available in Chinese and those that are seem to come out as English/Chinese editions.

The console can do basically any language. It is changed via system settings.

Games depend on the disk. If you buy a Chinese disk and it only has Chinese Language, Chinese Subs then there is no way to make it English. However for most releases which I have encountered, the games are fully in english in addition to chinese. It is actually quite popular to buy games from Asia because they are usually cheaper.

One thing to note is that DLC is region coded. I have EU Little big planet, and cannot use my US psn account to buy new levels. I had to create and put funds on a German PSN account in order to get the add-ons.

Thanks, looks like I’m going to have to be careful when shopping for the game discs than. The PSN I won’t really dabble into much, so I think I’m okay at that front. Anything else I should be aware of before purchase?

Bluray/dvd movies are region coded.

Correction: Almost all DVD movies (except small scale press, as indie movies or unlicensed editions) and some Blu-Ray (depends on publisher and what mood they were having at the moment) are region coded

Correction: Almost all DVD movies (except small scale press, as indie movies or unlicensed editions) and some Blu-Ray (depends on publisher and what mood they were having at the moment) are region coded[/quote]

and if you wanted to correct further, the regions for blu-ray are different from the regions for DVD. So a Japanese/Taiwanese BR will play in a US ps3 but dvds from the same region will not.

Point is, it can be an annoying little issue that pops up.

[quote=“djlowballer”]
and if you wanted to correct further, the regions for blu-ray are different from the regions for DVD. So a Japanese/Taiwanese BR will play in a US ps3 but dvds from the same region will not.

Point is, it can be an annoying little issue that pops up.[/quote]
Do’h!
Well, I guess it’s an easy mistake for an european to make as the regions over here always is “wrong” =P