PS5 Disc Games in English

Are there shops in Taipei to buy imported PS5 Disc Games in English?

Why not just buy the local games? Check the backside for language support. 9/10 times it will have an English option.

2 Likes

All of my PS5 games are local and have English support, even my consoles are local in the sense that I bought them here lol.

Only the boxes/manuals/warranty are in Chinese. The game itself defaults to English.

Wish that was true on switch :cry: although I can buy digital in english, I like having the physical copy. So many games are only available in Japanese and Chinese. I was even given a gift of trials of mana that has English dubbed voices but no English translations for the interface or written dialogue. It’s crazy

I once had a copy of Katamari Damacy like that. It didn’t matter all that much. It was kind of a letdown when I finally played an English version actually :slight_smile:

Oh great! Thanks!

I was under the impression that the disc games came in either multi-language or Chinese specifically. I asked at the Sony store at Taipei 101 and they told me the Chinese versions don’t have English. I have a digital account, so I don’t have any issues buying but I prefer to have the disc versions.

So the ones on Pchome for example which say ‘Chinese Version’ are also multi-language?

Yeah but katamari doesn’t really need language you just roll around the whole game. Great game by the way.

1 Like

Ha, yes that was the point. Most games you don’t just roll around. I always wondered what the King and various little dudes were saying though

1 Like

It varies from game to game, so check, but the only one so far I’ve been affected by was Elden Ring. Both physical and digital were Chinese language. In-game dialogue was English, but everything else was in Chinese.

If you want to make absolutely sure that you’re getting the physical version you want, try using Play Asia. They’ve most likely got / can get what you want, but at a price.

it is true on Switch. Check the back of the packaging.

What I mean is that many of the games don’t have English. It’s mostly 1 st party Nintendo Games that have it. Other than Nintendo, most Japanese games don’t support English in the releases Taiwan gets. Those usually only get Chinese, korean, and Japanese

Some (but not all) square enix games also get English

You guys don’t know the pain of playing Pokémon on the gameboy which at the time was only in Japanese in Taiwan. When you level up your Pokémon and had to remove a skill to replace a new skill you had no idea what it was :sob:

I will say that the switch is a huge upgrade. Previous Nintendo consoles were region locked which means you could ONLY buy the Asia versions of games. (Or if you bought it in America, you could only play American versions).

Oh I can imagine when I go to the used retro games store.

I saw kids playing with Japanese Yu Gi Oh cards. I asked how they do it. They said they make it up as they go along. Lmao

Just to complicate things further. I really wanted Fatal Frame for the Switch because the Chinese version is cheap and common, but the UK version is expensive and rare. Online forums insisted that it had English, but the back of the box only specified Chinese and Japanese. I took the risk and it did, indeed, have English, but I had to navigate the Chinese settings to find the option.

So, sometimes the list of languages on the back of the box is wrong!

I’m curious, did it install an update when loading onto your Switch?

I don’t remember. I wondered myself if the English support might have been an update rather than a mistake on the box.