Psycho Xiaojies: A warning from history!

Yeah, my point wasn’t that English expat guys are arseholes, but that just because this one was, all must be. It’s not true as you know.

I know, it’s not ‘OK’ to keep your stuff, just trying to explore her motivations with the view that if you could figure that out, you could figue out some kind of strategy. ‘She’s just crazy’ may well be true, but it doesn’t really allow for much of an outcome, in a pragmatic sense.

[quote]
So here you are, trying to sell us your creepy story and using it to disrespect ALL Taiwanese women.

You, my friend, are a real freak![/quote]

Obnoxious.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]Yeah, my point wasn’t that English expat guys are arseholes, but that just because this one was, all must be. It’s not true as you know.

I know, it’s not ‘OK’ to keep your stuff, just trying to explore her motivations with the view that if you could figure that out, you could figue out some kind of strategy. ‘She’s just crazy’ may well be true, but it doesn’t really allow for much of an outcome, in a pragmatic sense.

[quote]
So here you are, trying to sell us your creepy story and using it to disrespect ALL Taiwanese women.

Obnoxious.[/quote]

So it’s ok for him to insult all Taiwanese women?

[quote=“Markova”]It’s easy to know why she suddenly changed her mind about her relationship with OP.

Her parents covered their little trips around the world and OP was in no rush to pay them back! He thought "hey! I’m going to pay you back someday, so gimme a breakkkk. Be patient, you ungrateful parents! I’m taking your girl to discover the world, I got her a well paid job, I’m paying for all her daily life expenses… How rude are you to pressure me in paying you back! ".

OP, you know that delaying the payment was a big issue. But instead of solving it, you decided to stay another month in japan! Life is good indeed :slight_smile:

Then upon your return to tw, you didn’t rush to the bank but instead decided that “well, I will go to the bank next Tuesday or Wednesday…depends how busyyyyy I am.” “Oh and too bad, it will have to wait Wednesday cos I gotta wait for my salary.”

Based on such an irresponsible behavior, I bet her hard working parents begged her to not waste her life with you.

Then, you go on blaming her for not letting you go drink with your buddies because she worries you will drunk-driving and how right she was, since you crashed your car that same night… “Oh but it’s not due to alcohol but it’s actually HER fault cos she has been messing up with my head so I lost focus while driving”

Again, it’s never your fault!

And finally… One year and a half later…you are back to tw, harassing her for VITAL data! Must be freaking vital LOL

Hmmm… hang on a minute. I suggest you read the original post again. The trip that their travel agency covered (that I paid for after I got back to TW) was just one trip and just flights at that. All other trips, every single trip, were paid for by me in full and I didn’t ever use their travel agency for it as I got better prices elsewhere or could use my mileage to cover her flights. So I’m afraid that your assumption here is wrong. And there was no direct pressure from them - she only brought it up whilst I was in Japan ON BUSINESS (read the post), so all expenses were covered by my company. I wasn’t sat there on some additional holiday, I was running around a freezing cold Tokyo going to various meetings and such.

So what we are talking about is ONE FLIGHT that she actually requested they book as I hadn’t had time to find anything cheaper, that we had agreed to pay for in January and because I had to urgently go to Tokyo on business for my previous company, I couldn’t make a bank transfer as I didn’t know at the time that you could only set payees up in branch to make a transfer and couldn’t do it over the phone. Believe me, I tried. It’s pretty much standard to be able to do it online or over the phone in any other countries for payees that aren’t set up, but for some anal reason in Taiwan you can’t. As I found out. So I arranged to pay it when I got back. The day I got back was part of CNY holiday, as was the rest of the week and the Monday was taken up with having to discuss things with her and move stuff back to the house. The Tuesday I was busy with work - people were calling me from the morning - so I went to the bank and made the payment as soon as I could, which was the Wednesday. And the bank didn’t let the payment go out until the next day because the next day was the day my salary cleared. Not my decision, that was the banks. Even there was about enough in the account to cover the tickets, they didn’t want my balance to drop to NT$ 0.

And let me repeat again, as it seems you didn’t read the whole post, this was for one flight that I didn’t even book (she did on ‘our behalf’ whilst I was in Tokyo, again on business and to give client presentations, in December).

Quite how you come to the assumption that I ‘decided’ to stay another month in Japan is beyond me. I didn’t. I arrived back in Taiwan after our holiday and about two days later I was urgently required to go to Tokyo on business. The only ‘decision’ to stay there came at the start of February, just before I was due to come back, as (if you read my post again) she told me she didn’t want to see me over CNY and certainly didn’t want any problems at her parents’ place over CNY. So for that week or so, yes, I decided to stay in Tokyo. Why? Because it was easier than coming back to Taiwan where everything would be shut down for CNY, I’d be bored out of my mind and I wouldn’t be able to sit down and talk to her anyway because she was down in Tainan with her parents. So I stayed until almost the end of CNY when she was coming back to Taipei. That’s a week and a half longer, not because I was avoiding the issue, but I decided it would be better for me to at least be with friends whilst CNY happened and go back to Taipei in better spirits than if I’d been sat around bored on my own for a week or so.

And not drinking with my buddies? Yup she never let me do that apart from one day every week, every Tuesday. I never drove out, I always took a taxi there and a taxi back home. Just this one time, that week, I drove out. Not because I wanted to drink, but I needed, seriously needed a little bit of ‘air’ and to talk to some other people who might actually listen and give some advice. Like I said (if you read the original post) I didn’t drink a drop. I passed not one, but TWO police roadblocks and they checked if I was drunk or not, as they do everyone and of course, I wasn’t, because I’d spent the night drinking coffee and then orange juice. Hmmm… I must have been super drunk. Hey, and btw, I parked my car RIGHT OUTSIDE the bar, I know the owner and the doorkeep there and they saw me drive and wouldn’t let me drink, as my friends tried to get me drinks, but they were super good and wouldn’t let them.

And so, as a result I was not drunk driving. I never have in my whole life and I wasn’t then. I wasn’t going to make some dumb exception just because I was having a hard time with my (now ex) missus. Because the moment you make an exception is the moment you accidentally kill someone else and make their families and friends suffer for what you’re pissed off about. And that’s not fair or good. So no, I would never drink and drive, never ever.

And no, I did not explicitly blame her for me hitting a concrete bollard. It was dark, it was pissing down with rain and I didn’t see it. I’d probably say (truthfully) that I was not as focused / aware as I should have been as I was upset, tired and more than a little wound up about things. That doesn’t mean that I blame her. I don’t. However what she wrote to me in an email exacerbated my emotions and perhaps if she hadn’t done that I wouldn’t have crashed. Maybe I still would have done. Who knows. But I’m not pointing the finger of blame at anyone.

And no, this is not the first time I’ve been back to Taiwan. I’ve been back from October through April and again now. I’m not harassing her, I just want my stuff back. Simples, right?

And no this is not a creepy story, it’s the god-honest truth. And I’m not disrespecting all Taiwanese women. Read my earlier posts. I’m basing my feelings on what I’ve seen and I wrote, quite clearly, I’d love some woman to come along and prove me wrong, but you know what, reading your post, I really do not think that people like that exist.

So a little favor / request. Please read my original post and subsequent posts before accusing me of stuff you were not there to see and have based your opinion on not actually reading fully what I have written. It’s not helpful and it’s not particularly cool.

[quote=“Markova”]It’s easy to know why she suddenly changed her mind about her relationship with OP.

Her parents covered their little trips around the world and OP was in no rush to pay them back! He thought "hey! I’m going to pay you back someday, so gimme a breakkkk. Be patient, you ungrateful parents! I’m taking your girl to discover the world, I got her a well paid job, I’m paying for all her daily life expenses… How rude are you to pressure me in paying you back! ".

OP, you know that delaying the payment was a big issue. But instead of solving it, you decided to stay another month in japan! Life is good indeed :slight_smile:

Then upon your return to tw, you didn’t rush to the bank but instead decided that “well, I will go to the bank next Tuesday or Wednesday…depends how busyyyyy I am.” “Oh and too bad, it will have to wait Wednesday cos I gotta wait for my salary.”

Based on such an irresponsible behavior, I bet her hard working parents begged her to not waste her life with you.

Then, you go on blaming her for not letting you go drink with your buddies because she worries you will drunk-driving and how right she was, since you crashed your car that same night… “Oh but it’s not due to alcohol but it’s actually HER fault cos she has been messing up with my head so I lost focus while driving”

Again, it’s never your fault!

And finally… One year and a half later…you are back to tw, harassing her for VITAL data! Must be freaking vital LOL

I have a lot to learn when it comes to trolling!

[quote=“Markova”][quote=“Ermintrude”]Yeah, my point wasn’t that English expat guys are arseholes, but that just because this one was, all must be. It’s not true as you know.

[quote]

Obnoxious.[/quote]

So it’s ok for him to insult all Taiwanese women?[/quote]

Yes Ermintrude, it was an obnoxious comment and I totally agree (but in the post I just wrote, was trying to avoid saying it. Totally agree with you though).

No, I am not and have not insulted all Taiwanese women. Again, please read my earlier posts. I’m all open to be being proved wrong, but like I said, I really feel / think based on experience and similar anecdotes I’ve heard that it’s not possible. I really think I’ll do better with someone in Japan or Korea and to be honest, sometimes I really think that I don’t want to meet a Taiwanese girl again in my life.

But to be honest with this, if some girl turns up and proves me wrong, then I will find it very heartwarming and I’ll be very happy to find that there are shining examples of non psycho-xiaojies out there. But until that happens, the overwhelming amount of primary evidence I have, the overwhelming amount of anecdotes I’ve heard point otherwise. Therefore this is not an insult, it’s an observation. And like I (hope that I have) pointed out, I’m very open to being proven wrong. But I’m pretty sure that won’t happen. Who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised. Or not.

Well, It seems that lots of posters have issues with tw girls… I did too, but it doesn’t mean I will generalize my situation and insult every single tw females.

Since, I cannot express my judgment without being accused of trolling, I will let you guys discuss between yourselves and share your one side view of life.

The other sides are just trolling, right?

[quote=“Markova”]

Yes. Looking at the context, he’s a hurt ex, striking out. Taiwanese womanhood will struggle on, despite these cruel barbs. Read the whole message and try to get at the feelings behind it, rather than focussing on the surface. His reason for posting was to express his feelings and problems after the breakdown of a relationship, and perhaps a little bit of culture shock and difficulty in adjusting to life in Taiwa after having lived elsewhere in Asia, not to simply shit on Taiwanese women.

fwiw, I despise the term ‘psycho xiaojie’ in all its patronising, infantilising, misogynistic glory, but as I wrote before, we tend to over-generalise when we are hurt by someone belonging to a group. Hand on your heart, have you never ever said ‘Uggggh, I fcking hate X people!’? Aversions aren’t logical: when we are hurt, we try to protect ourselves.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Markova”]

Yes. Looking at the context, he’s a hurt ex, striking out.[/quote]

You are unbelievable…

So because someone had his feelings hurt, it is ok to insult a whole nation and we should all say amen to that?

That guy wrote a 10 paragraphs post, trying to glorify himself in order to put down Taiwanese women. I can see that he has been hurt, but I also can see that he is a freak.

I’m even more astonished by all the confirmations he is receiving.

I think, the real question should be:
What’s wrong with the expat community in taiwan?

He is not receiving those confirmations you say. People are giving their opinion and nobody here has said that all the TW women are like that, although it is true that there are more spoiled and irrational girls here than in Europe and other countries. You don’t seem to read carefully.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Markova”]

Yes. Looking at the context, he’s a hurt ex, striking out. Taiwanese womanhood will struggle on, despite these cruel barbs. Read the whole message and try to get at the feelings behind it, rather than focussing on the surface. His reason for posting was to express his feelings and problems after the breakdown of a relationship, and perhaps a little bit of culture shock and difficulty in adjusting to life in Taiwa after having lived elsewhere in Asia, not to simply shit on Taiwanese women.

fwiw, I despise the term ‘psycho xiaojie’ in all its patronising, infantilising, misogynistic glory, but as I wrote before, we tend to over-generalise when we are hurt by someone belonging to a group. Hand on your heart, have you never ever said ‘Uggggh, I fcking hate X people!’? Aversions aren’t logical: when we are hurt, we try to protect ourselves.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree with you more. To be honest, there’s a lot of things I like about TW and whilst I’ve decided that, as a result of all of this, I’m not going to live here much longer, it doesn’t mean that I’m insulting all TW women.

In fear of feeding the troll (no offense meant, I respect their point of view but have to completely disagree given that they’ve not read most of my post), I have to say that I’m not insulting all TW women. I’m simply basing my opinion on primary evidence, as in what I’ve seen experienced and felt, as well as from hearing other anecdotes and what other people have written on this thread. As I wrote in my last post, I’d love to be proved wrong and the challenge is out there, but I really feel as if that won’t happen because somewhere, deep in every TW woman I’ve met / been introduced to, there seems to be this psycho crazy thing going on.

I’m not so sure if it’s a cultural thing. I’ve lived in Asia over half my life and cultures over here are well, different, to a lot of cultures back in Europe or North America. The trouble is, a lot of people (you good folks not being included here) don’t even bother trying to understand the culture and get stuck in a limbo, or what I like to call ‘the ex-pat ghetto’. I think a great quick anecdote (and true) on this is from Japan back in 2004 when I was working for a Japanese company and had been over to Germany to meet a client, translate from German to Japanese and discuss some strategy as well as things that needed to be implemented in the production / R&D centre back in Japan. I’d flown back early and gone to my local bar to unwind / chillax after the long flight home over a beer. It’s a mixed crowd bar, half Japanese, half expat and I was there early. There were three guys at the end of the bar (from North America and Europe), me and the bar man. And being bored, I listened into their conversation. One guy was saying ‘I’ve been here in Japan now for 15 years and I can never get my head around the language, I’ll never understand it and I really hate being here!’. The next guy chirped in, ‘Yup, I’ve been here 17 years, it’s hard. I can just about string together a few sentences yet the girlfriend never understands me’ and then finally, the last guy piped up ‘You know what guys, I’ve been here 20. I’ve learnt some words, even tried kanji, but I’ll never get it, never! Japan and Asia are not for foreigners and we’re better sticking together and being in our crowd!’. Just then my phone rang and it was my office up the road in another part of Tokyo. They wanted to know if I’d got back OK and ask a few questions about my meetings in Germany. In the end, I was on the phone for about 45 minutes and of course completely in Japanese. When I’d finished I looked around the bar and the three guys were there looking a bit shocked. One of them called out to me ‘So how long have you been here mate, all your life? That was amazing!’. I kind of smiled wryly and looked at my watch and answered ‘Well, to tell you the truth, I’ve been in Japan now for precisely 6 hours!’.

The point of this anecdote is there are a lot of people out there who refuse to learn about a culture and stick their heads in the sand it it shocks me when I see people do this. It also makes it very easy for people to throw up ‘cultural differences’ as a barrier when discussing things, like for example what happened between me and my ex. To be honest, yes, there are cultural differences, but it’s actually down to us as the minority over here to learn about the cultural and fit in as best we can. At least that’s what I try to do, try to understand and did my best at when I was with her, even at the time I was not planning to be in Taiwan long-term. It’s much less of a problem when you speak the language, as I do in Japan, but to be honest, I’ve always been impressed with the percentage of foreigners here in Taiwan that speak Chinese pretty well compared to the percentage of foreigners who speak Japanese in Japan. So I’ve been trying. I’ve never had time (and since last year the funds) to enroll in a Chinese class full time, but I do my best and get people to help out - the people in my local convenience store are super helpful and help me with pronunciation when I get things wrong and I always ask how to say this and that when I’m in there. Small steps go a long way.

So tying this up with what happened with me and the ex, it’s something that I tried to do and did my best to minimize. She spent a long time in the UK so should, by default of speaking English perfectly without an accent, understand where I’m coming from at the same time I did my best to understand where she’s coming from. That’s one of the many reasons I insisted on going out at least once a week to meet people I’d made friends with here, so I could swap tales and stories about life in Taiwan with other foreigners from all over the world, so I might get some insight of where they had made mistakes, so I knew where I shouldn’t make mistakes. It was all part of me trying to adjust to being here, even though I didn’t want to be. I mean, given that I could hardly speak Chinese at the time and even now I’d struggle to even call it intermediate level, it was the only route open to me, other than being a sponge through my one source (her). Even at work, I organized meals out and BBQ parties and more for people who worked for me (temps and everyone), firstly of course to facilitate bonding in the office and secondly to quiz them in a more relaxed environment about Taiwan, Taiwanese people and life in Taiwan. I did my best to minimize the cultural difference, as best I could at the time and guess what guys, even though I’ve decided I’m going to move permanently back to Japan, I’m still trying my best to understand Taiwan and will be coming back here from time to time on vacation and business trips. It honestly think it will help me more to learn to understand more.

But she still did what she did. I still cannot understand for the life of me why someone so sweet and loving would suddenly change. Knowing, I hope (and I know she knows) that I was trying my best to understand her culture and the culture we were living in, even though at the time I was planning, we were planning on moving off to Japan or Singapore or somewhere else as soon as we could.

And to reference your point, yes I was hurt. Yes I am still hurt in many, many ways. Feelings of betrayal and similar sit long inside of me and despite my trying to get rid of them, that’s why I don’t think I’ll ever go with a Taiwanese girl again. And no, before anyone says anything, I’m not saying that all girls are psycho, cold and evil like my ex, I’m just saying that one bad apple upsets the whole cart and I don’t think I want to be potentially put in a position where this could happen again (which seems to happen all too often in Taiwan, based on what I’ve read). I would not say though that I’m striking out. Sure, I have raw feelings in me, but the rational side of me says that these should be gone after 18 months! Like I wrote before, my whole aim of this was to raise awareness and make people very aware that these things can and will happen in Taiwan, perhaps more frequently than they do in other countries. I wrote about what happened to me in detail to lay out the facts and show what these people are capable of.

You know, I really hope there’s a reason for all of this. But like has already been written elsewhere on this thread, it’s probably her being completely irrational about things for whatever irrational reason she had (and probably continues to still have). I’d love her to explain why but, and here’s no surprise, she’s not turned up in some cyber-form and written her ‘facts’ about what happened. Which to be perfectly honest, I’d love to hear. Especially about why I have yet to get my things back.

And finally, about the term ‘psycho xiaojie’, personally I don’t think it’s patronizing or infantilizing in anyway at all. I could just as easily write about any ex that did something wrong (unfortunately none have done anything this cold and heartless so I can’t really but…) and call them a ‘psycho chick’, a ‘mad woman’, ‘crazy b!tch’ or, if I wanted to be similar to psycho xiaojie for all my exes bar one, ‘psycho kanojo’. To be honest, I think it’s a handy phrase that highlights what seems to be a big problem with TW girls and makes it specific to TW (well, it could be specific to China too, I guess, but this is a TW-focused forum). Nothing patronizing or infantile is meant by it, so apologies for any misunderstanding / accidental insulting, it’s not intended.

Dude, clearly you got hurt bad, and clearly, even after 18 months, you are still hurting and trying to make sense of it. I’m sorry for your pain, but the truth is that you will never know what was going through her mind, or whether her reasons were true and just or not, she told you what she told you and she won’t tell you anything more.

It’s been 18 months…time to forget her and move on. Otherwise it will eat you forever and stop you living your life in a happy way. For every bad person, there are plenty of good people in the world too. Seek them out,surround yourself with them and let go of he ones that make you happy. It’s the only way to fly.

I wish you well.

Sometimes I think of a girl I was with and who I paid too much attention. Ok, I actually got obsessed with her before having a relationship :stuck_out_tongue: In the end of the relationship, I had spent sooooo much emotional energy on her that it’s like if I’d got all my emotions sucked up and vanished forever. Sometimes I surprise myself wondering what she would be doing… after 7 fuckin’ years! and then I realize how stupid is to dedicate too much energy to something failed or that is gonig to be a failure.

Move on, that’s the only advice. Have some hobbies, boobies, pussies, other loonies, some fun, and someday you will find something and somebody you will feel happy with. Don’t focus on the past, but don’t forget what it taught you.

[quote=“Markova”][quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Markova”]

You are unbelievable…

So because someone had his feelings hurt, it is ok to insult a whole nation and we should all say amen to that?

That guy wrote a 10 paragraphs post, trying to glorify himself in order to put down Taiwanese women. I can see that he has been hurt, but I also can see that he is a freak.

What’s wrong with the expat community in Taiwan?[/quote]

Meh, it’s too hot. Can’t be arsed. Try to understand why he is hitting out, with empathy, if you want to, or do the boring Asian ‘you insulted the feeeeeelings of the X people’ script. If you go for the first option, you’ll be able to answer your own question re the ‘expat community’.

You’re using the word ‘freak’, which is inappropriate. He’s not a ‘freak’, he’s hurt. She’s not a ‘psycho’, she’s not behaving how he would have predicted with negative effect to himself. It’s completely normal to use loaded words and generalisations when you have had your heart crushed. Stop worrying about it. It happens all the time. I heard vicious ‘racist’ stuff from students in my classes all the time: it wasn’t genuine, a lot of time. It was due to having bad experiences with other British residents: if you get ripped off by a landlord or have your phone stolen, you might express the view that Brits are all thieves, in anger. Not true, clearly, but people vent.

This guy has a negative impression of Taiwan from just a little experience. He knows, deep down, that it is illogical that a whole nation is bad, but when he thinks of it, the bad feelings are triggered.

OP, men call women who fuck them over ‘psychos’ all the time: if they don’t behave how you want, men use the terms for mental illness. They also call adults ‘girls’ and ‘xiaojies’, not women (although you used it once) or animal names such as ‘bitch’ and ‘chick’. Because it’s so prevalent in western culture, you probably don’t even think much of it.

[quote=“Markova”][quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Markova”]

You are unbelievable…

What’s wrong with the expat community in Taiwan?[/quote]

Let’s be honest here, I’m not glorifying myself. I’m not even trying to glorify myself. I’m simply stating what happened as fact, from my perspective and using it as a warning to people who are treading into these waters for the first time. What happened is not something that one would want to glorify or glorify oneself with; not just me, anyone! And I’m not using this to put down Taiwanese women. I know we’re online here, so you can’t read my lips, but I’ll spell it out for you clearly, again:

I AM NOT TRYING TO PUT TAIWANESE WOMEN DOWN. ALL WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN AND BASED MY OPINION ON IS BASED ON MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND WHAT I HAVE READ FROM OTHER PEOPLE ON FORUMOSA AND HEARD FROM OTHER PEOPLE AROUND TAIPEI, TAIWANESE PEOPLE THROUGH MY JAPANESE FRIEND INCLUDED. I WOULD LOVE TO BE PROVED WRONG AND SHOWN SOME DIFFERENT SIDE OF TAIWANESE WOMEN, BUT FROM MY POSITION, I DON’T KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE POSSIBLE AT ALL AND I’M NOT GOING TO RUSH INTO A POSITION WHERE I’M LIKELY TO HAVE THE SAME SACK OF HORSE FECES THROWN ALL OVER ME AGAIN. I DON’T WANT THAT AND WANT TO MOVE ON POSITIVELY, IT’S BEEN A YEAR AND A HALF. NOT QUITE SURE WHY YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS QUITE SIMPLE POSITION.

That does not make me a freak. If I was a freak, I would be a complete outsider, have completely different radical views from everyone else and be unable to function as a human being. So if was a freak, as you’ve kindly pointed out so many times, why are there so many other threads that raise this issue? Why are there so many other foreigners in Taiwan that report having similar problems? From the stories I’ve heard, it seems for every one nice girl, there are about 4, 5 or even 10 psycho ones. Does that make me a freak for having very similar experiences to other people? I think not.

Sure it hurt me. That was over 18 months ago. Am I still hurt about it now? Sure, I am. But to be honest, I moved on, am trying to get on with my life as best I can from the mess she made of it and posting a warning to other people is part of that. Again, that doesn’t make me a freak? I think it’s odd it’s taken the best part of 18 months to get over it, but if you’ve had your life wrecked as thoroughly as that, driven to the point of having to live on the streets for little while in Taipei and all the other crap that’s gone on, maybe you would be the same. Maybe you wouldn’t, who knows. But I can’t judge you on that, because you’ve not been in the same situation for so long and I’ve not been in whatever your life situation is now. Each to his own experiences I say.

What’s wrong with the expat community in Taiwan? Not a lot… Each community has its own quirks depending on the country and you can learn a lot about perceived or real cultural differences by observing how the expat community react to it. There are always cultural differences but like I just wrote in a longish post, that’s our responsibility as the minority here to address, not theirs, and in no way do I blame, whinge, moan, complain about Taiwanese being different to ‘us’. It’s something we have to recognize, respect and learn about. Which makes me really think that you’ve missed the whole point of what I’ve been writing about. Psycho xiaojies are not a product of the culture (well they may be), as if that was a problem in 100% of TW women the divorce rate would be 100% and there would be a huge societal problem. So again, refuting what you’ve said, I’m not insulting all TW women by saying this. It just seems that a certain percentage of them are like this and it seems to be something that quite a lot of people in the expat community have come up against. If it wasn’t a problem, how come so many people are writing about it / talking about it on various threads and in various bars?

But because I choose to speak out about it and write a cautionary tale to people fresh off the boat it makes me a freak does it?

Well, you’re entitled to your own opinion, but I really do wish you’d actually digest what I have written and what other people have written here. Are you insulting all people who have had problems with TW girls? Are they all ‘freaks’? Sorry, I’m just following your rational here to its logical conclusion…

[quote=“TheTruthIsOutThere”]Dude, clearly you got hurt bad, and clearly, even after 18 months, you are still hurting and trying to make sense of it. I’m sorry for your pain, but the truth is that you will never know what was going through her mind, or whether her reasons were true and just or not, she told you what she told you and she won’t tell you anything more.

It’s been 18 months…time to forget her and move on. Otherwise it will eat you forever and stop you living your life in a happy way. For every bad person, there are plenty of good people in the world too. Seek them out,surround yourself with them and let go of he ones that make you happy. It’s the only way to fly.

I wish you well.[/quote]

Thanks. Don’t worry, after 18 months I have moved on. Trust me, if I was still super messed up about it, I wouldn’t even write about it. I’m just trying to highlight what seems to be a rather big problem in Taiwan.

I’m sure there’s lots of good people out there. Just for me, sadly, I don’t think that’s in Taiwan.

True. I know so and I know things will be super happy again one day. And I don’t focus on it too much. But what I do want, more than anything, is getting my stuff back. Once I have that I’ll be able to move on fully I think. At the moment, I’m caught in a very one-sided, over one year long battle to do this. I often think doesn’t she want to see the back of me too? Which is again, one of the reasons I think she’s a little bit, if not a lot, psychotic.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]This guy has a negative impression of Taiwan from just a little experience. He knows, deep down, that it is illogical that a whole nation is bad, but when he thinks of it, the bad feelings are triggered.

OP, men call women who fuck them over ‘psychos’ all the time: if they don’t behave how you want, men use the terms for mental illness. They also call adults ‘girls’ and ‘xiaojies’, not women (although you used it once) or animal names such as ‘bitch’ and ‘chick’. Because it’s so prevalent in western culture, you probably don’t even think much of it.
[/quote]

I don’t think I’ve got a negative impression of Taiwan, I’ve just seen the worst side of TW people which is sad. I agree that it’s illogical to taint a whole island with the same brush, but based on my experience, once bitten, twice shy. I’m determined not to let the same mistake happen again and, as a result of reading other threads here and talking to quite a few people and hearing a Taiwanese girl’s opinion through my friend, I’m pretty sure that I’ll never go with a TW girl again. Unless I’m proven wrong, which I think unlikely before I go back to Japan.

But saying that, Murphy’s Law or whatever law you want to quote, I’ll probably bump into a wonderful TW girl in Japan and be totally proven wrong there. If that really does happen, I’ll be sure to post something about here. But given the situation I’ve had over 18 months as a result of this, I’m very unlikely to let anything that could possibly result in something like this ever happen to me again. It’s called ‘protecting number 1’.

Hmmm… lots of men call women psychos, girls, xiaojies, b!itch and chick it’s true. But the whole meaning relies a lot of context. I find ‘girl’ a lot cuter than ‘woman’ which to me has connotations of someone very conservative, mature and probably in their late 40s or early 50s (not too far off me, I’m in my late 30s!!). But you have to remember also, that women have similar terms that they apply to men like ‘b@stard’, ‘guy’, ‘dick’ and a lot more, which again rely a lot on context. And I do think of it a lot, as in I’d never refer to someone I’m with as a woman, not being derogatory to her or anything, but because for me ‘girl’ just sounds erm… better. It’s not intended to be sexist, demeaning or anything, it’s just something that has a better meaning in my own vocabulary.

To be honest, I hope that people read this and draw their own conclusions and learn perhaps their own lessons. And hopefully do not fall into the same trap or make the same mistakes. After all, if something like this can happen to me it can happen to anyone. And seriously, you don’t want some person, psycho xiaojie or otherwise, to mess up your life for so long (and I’m not just talking from an emotional / hurt point of view here, as I hope is clear from my earlier posts).

To say something light hearted, meant in jest, so don’t take the wrong meaning from it, life’s a b!tch and then you almost marry one!!! :roflmao:

Ah! Good point!! You see, I was actually following your own logical about Taiwanese women being psycho.

And to ermintrude, why not showing empathy toward OP is making me a boring asian boy?
Why bringing up the racial card?

Ah! Good point!! You see, I was actually following your own logical about Taiwanese women being psycho.

And to ermintrude, why not showing empathy toward OP is making me a boring Asian boy?
Why bringing up the racial card?[/quote]

I don’t think she was accusing you of being a ‘boring Asian boy’ and if you read her posts carefully, it would seem that she herself is Taiwanese or at least Asian (unless I am very much wrong).

I don’t think Asian guys are boring. Some of my best friends from way back when I was at Uni are Japanese, others are Korean and yes, they’re male and guess what, they’re all very cool and certainly not boring.

Erm… to go to your first statement here, I never said that all TW women are psycho. I said that the evidence that I’ve seen with my own eyes points towards the conclusion that many of them are. The evidence that I’ve read here on Forumosa points to the fact that many of them are. What people have told me to my face here in Taiwan points to the fact that many of them are. However, as I’ve said ad infinitum, I’d love to be proved wrong, but based on the prima facie evidence here, it would seem that this would be impossible. Also, as I’ve said, can’t remember which post, but earlier in this thread, I’m pretty sure that there are some real roses out there who aren’t psychotic. Just that I’ve never seen any evidence of them. Doesn’t mean that they don’t exist.

So, based on what I’ve said all along, the logical conclusion should be that what I am saying (and therefore by extension, think) is that based on my experience and what I have read / seen / observed / heard is that the vast majority of Taiwanese women are psychotic or mad in some way, or at least those that get involved with foreigners. A key point is that here I said ‘the vast majority’ clearly implying that not all TW women are like this, and therefore, a fair summation of what I am saying in one sentence would be: Until proven otherwise, it would appear to me that a lot of TW girls seem to be back-stabbing psychos, although this does not apply to all of them, I have yet to see any evidence that would confirm that they are not all psychos.

Fair?

And to ermintrude, why not showing empathy toward OP is making me a boring Asian boy?
Why bringing up the racial card?[/quote]

I don’t think she was accusing you of being a ‘boring Asian boy’ and if you read her posts carefully, it would seem that she herself is Taiwanese or at least Asian (unless I am very much wrong).

I don’t think Asian guys are boring. Some of my best friends from way back when I was at Uni are Japanese, others are Korean and yes, they’re male and guess what, they’re all very cool and certainly not boring.

Erm… to go to your first statement here, I never said that all TW women are psycho. I said that the evidence that I’ve seen with my own eyes points towards the conclusion that many of them are. The evidence that I’ve read here on Forumosa points to the fact that many of them are. What people have told me to my face here in Taiwan points to the fact that many of them are. However, as I’ve said ad infinitum, I’d love to be proved wrong, but based on the prima facie evidence here, it would seem that this would be impossible. Also, as I’ve said, can’t remember which post, but earlier in this thread, I’m pretty sure that there are some real roses out there who aren’t psychotic. Just that I’ve never seen any evidence of them. Doesn’t mean that they don’t exist.

So, based on what I’ve said all along, the logical conclusion should be that what I am saying (and therefore by extension, think) is that based on my experience and what I have read / seen / observed / heard is that the vast majority of Taiwanese women are psychotic or mad in some way, or at least those that get involved with foreigners. A key point is that here I said ‘the vast majority’ clearly implying that not all TW women are like this, and therefore, a fair summation of what I am saying in one sentence would be: Until proven otherwise, it would appear to me that a lot of TW girls seem to be back-stabbing psychos, although this does not apply to all of them, I have yet to see any evidence that would confirm that they are not all psychos.

Fair?[/quote]
Not fair. Your observation is skewed by your personal experience with 1 woman. If you had experiences with the “vast majority” of Taiwanese female population then it would arguably be fair to make such a statement.

The OP doesnt speak the language, doesn’t really get the culture , never even attended Chinese New Year celebrations, and had a terrible experience with his gf (commiserations , do something else to keep yourself occupied).

Shit happens…but don’t rag on a whole country you barely know due to one broken relationship!

Its been mentioned here before, but you represent only one side of the coin. Yes a lot of foreign men post here with their experience and their perspectives. Its certainly not always the fault of the woman, Im not passing any judgement on your situation it sounds like you’ve been through the ringer. But Im fairly certain on some Taiwanese website somewhere, Taiwanese have an equally negative list of stereotypes they have of foreign men and lots of stories to back up the claim.

HH above is spot on, cultural misunderstanding can run deep and look very different from another perspective, one you may be quite ignorant of.