Public Opinion on Dante Coffee and Mr. Brown Coffee

I also like family mart, but no espresso

1 Like

I only drink convenience store coffee if I am really desperate.

I went to the Mr Brown in Taipei Arena once and was shocked by the unjustified price. Same goes for Starbucks.

If I have to choose between Louisa and Cama, I think I prefer Louisa. But I often decide based on past experience. If the staff is unfriendly, I won’t go there again.

Unicofa is so so.

I kind of like Felice. The stuff is always friendly.

Two Cents is OK. They remember me and know what I want to order.

Dante and Ikari are not places that attract me for some reason. I’d rather go to an no-chain one if I want to hang out there.

Around Daan Station I like to get my caffeine fix from the Two Bros. Tiny coffee counter; the two bros are super friendly and the coffee is A-ok.

3 Likes

Try Donutes (Newer shops are better), coffee is NT$55. Just bit more than Lousia and the newer stores are nice with nice baked good too as nice seating areas.

2 Likes

I think I never tried family mart of 7 11 or probably too long ago to remember, never tried Mr brown either since there is no shop where I live, but last time I bought this in PX mart:

I liked this coffee, I thought it was as good as the Yirgacheffe from Louisa or Cama.

1 Like

It’s always a toss up between Donutes and Crowne isn’t it.
Personally I’m a a Crowne man

Taipei denizens getting all confused right about now.

1 Like

Donutes, no question.

The ones in the south are better, bigger, more equipped.

1 Like

No more Crown, Hon Hai bought it, changed the name. Donutes are better anyways, many of them now too I guess second to Louisa in this region. Interesting Donutes has open more new shops overseas than in Taipei.

1 Like

Crown opened a bunch in Taipei, weren’t successful and they shutdown. Taipei rent is probably insane and I know in this business that it’s mostly about location, the corner stores especially.

The other big problem in Taipei… It’s population is actually dropping and aging rapidly.

Mr Brown business model is the one that always gets me. Most of their coffeeshops are barely making money I would say but they probably own the buildings are just hoping to make enough to cover the loans on the buildings (they have many prominent locations in Taipei especially ).

1 Like

get yourself a cup of morning brown! (contains strong language probably nsfw)

Population who sleep in Taipei is dropping, but population who work/eat/drink in Taipei is not.

2 Likes

That doesn’t make much sense.
The youth population is crashing in Taiwan.

Hey old guys drink coffee too! :grin:

My new fave for observing this is the OK Lao shop on Heping East Road just east of Dunhua. Delicious Lao coffee with not a young hipster in sight!

Guy

4 Likes

but every day more Louisa Coffee shops

1 Like

Think you forgot a comma.

Hey, old guys drink coffee too!
Hey old guys, drink coffee too!
Hey old guys drink, coffee too!

5 Likes

I approve of all the above. :grin:

Guy

4 Likes

Are coffee prices at Louisa the same at all stores? Like NT$45 for a long black here in the South . I am not sure it’s same in Taipei? Makes me wonder how they can make money in the high rent areas like on a High street Taipei vs. say Pingtung (Which seems to have the same number of customers)

Some of the special Louisa branches (example: the one embedded in Daan Forest Park Station on the Taipei MRT Red Line) have slightly higher prices than the other third wave shops in Taipei and in Hsinchu.

Based on my experience in Kaohsiung, I don’t think their prices are lower there, but I have not visited enough branches to be certain about this.

Guy

I am just starting to get a glimpse of what these guys are about.

No need to fool around with all the expensive options in this shop. Their focus is on Lao coffee, hence the name of the business. At least at the Heping East Road branch in Taipei, the Lao latte is a dynamic interesting cup—and it’s only NT$50!

The way the shop is set up and the way the workers go about their business is classic Taiwanese. Roasting is apparently done in Taichung. Visiting this shop is like taking a short trip out of Taipei. :slight_smile:

Guy

4 Likes

No it was not a “bad batch.” As the following thread testifies, that’s really how they roll! :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

Can’t beat the Barista chain. Not many of them but good coffee