Pumpkin Pie

Mom’s Pies rock my socks. I’m eating a slice of their peach pie now. They park close my school on Thursday nights (Xinyi Rd. Sec. 2, Xinsheng S. Rd. intersection near the Matsusei grocery store). I really like their pumpkin pie and while it has nothing on my mom’s pumpkin cheescake or even our family’s pumpkin pies (not enough spices and I prefer a graham crust over the traditional flour one), it’s a very nice substitute.

I tried a free sample of Starbuck’s pumpkin tart and needed three napkins to spit it back out into. I couldn’t even persuade my mouth to swallow it, it was that horrible.

It’s that time of the year and I crave and need a good pumpkin pie sometimes this week - anywhere anyone recommend I could pick one up?
I’ll apply the extra unnecessary excessive sinful whip cream on top, thanks!

Did you try Costco?

What, there is not a Costco in Sweden? It is a big bulk grocery store popular in the states where sometimes you can get good deals. You might want to check it out. :slight_smile:

Can’t believe no one mentioned sweat potato pie. What a bunch of Yankees.

What, there is not a Costco in Sweden? It is a big bulk grocery store popular in the states where sometimes you can get good deals. You might want to check it out. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Sigh, no, I was suggesting it as a place where you could get pumpkin pie as per the thread, they also sell cream…

That said, no there’s no Costco in Sweden as we don’t really need it…

What, there is not a Costco in Sweden? It is a big bulk grocery store popular in the states where sometimes you can get good deals. You might want to check it out. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Sigh, no, I was suggesting it as a place where you could get pumpkin pie as per the thread, they also sell cream…

That said, no there’s no Costco in Sweden as we don’t really need it…[/quote]

:doh: that was a joke.

Ah, the joyous cultural boundaries of humor! :laughing:

Costco has pumpkin pie for $229, I think, and roasted turkeys for $1999, according to signs on the way in. I did not check the details or availability.

It’s all fine and good that everyone is posting the two same places… Costco (long trip and painful experience) or Mom’s Pies (a mysterious moving target).

Is that really it? Is there no restaurant or bakery?

I have confirmed that The Diner does not have it, I don’t have time for a Mom’s wild goose chase, and I don’t have the self-hatred for a Costco trip. Anyone got anything else, or is this thread dead at two?

We’ve got recipes… :idunno: But I doubt that’s what you want to hear.

Got a good one for the local pumpkin? I remember cans are supposed to be better but I’m going for it Sat. night.

No, nothing specialized; I just have Mom’s recipe which calls for canned pumpkin. I don’t even make it anymore, because Dragonbabe doesn’t like pumpkin pie, and I can’t eat it all.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
No, nothing specialized; I just have Mom’s recipe which calls for canned pumpkin. I don’t even make it anymore, because Dragonbabe doesn’t like pumpkin pie, and I can’t eat it all.[/quote]

Thanks anyway, was at Costco today so I just got theirs

Let us know what you think of it.

I may do that very soon :yay:

It’s very good. No doubt.

We’re now making and selling pumpkin pies with handmade butter-pastry crusts out of Segovia’s Kitchen, our new kitchen-storefront in Donghu. Our normal business model is prepaid orders for pickup (we’re right near the Donghu MRT station at the back end of the wet market) or delivery ($150 fee for refrigerated courier service). We can deliver to 101 at certain times, for free. For the month of Feb. 2014, to celebrate our soft opening, we are now offering 10% off on all prepaid orders for baked goods (and 15% off if picked up in our store – both rates apply only to orders for our home-style baked items prepaid in person or by ATM transfer by Feb. 28). (Shipping is still charged at cost, not discounted.) There is currently a waiting list of about 2 weeks for products, so order early! If ordering for Thanksgiving or Christmas, we recommend ordering a month early. We also have apple pies (with organic apples), mushroom quiches, cookies, brownies, baklava, double chocolate biscotti and similar baked items, and carry a variety of organic, fair-trade ingredients, spices, chocolate bars, hot cocoa, coffee, tea and so on in our store. Note that we have very limited opening times, as this is primarily a working kitchen. Please see the Facebook page for details.

Has anyone tried using the local wet market pumpkins to make filling? Which ones work best? The common taller squash-shaped ones or the dark green round squat (Japanese) ones?

We used these.