Pumpkin Recipes

Bought a few pumpkins yesterday (spur of the moment kinda thing). I usually roast them with sugar and cinnamon. Anyone have other recipes?

Soup! Peel, de-seed and dice. Put about one and a half beers mug full of cubes into a mixture of 1 L water and 1 L chicken stock. Boil away. Let it reduce. You can add more water if it gets too thick. Don’t put in too much chicken stock in a dish that reduces because it could get too salty. You may also need more pumpkin depending on how flavorful your squash is or how thick you like your soup. Add a small amount of chopped garlic, a very small amount of cumen or good curry powder, salt, pepper and a wee bit’o nutmeg if you like. The pumpkin (or other squash) will dissolve into a fairly smooth mass after about 30-45 minutes. Right before serving, you can add a small knob of butter, or a bit of cream.

A second vote on the soup - I’m eating about one pot every couple weeks. Things to add to the soup include chopped veggies - broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, greens - and pepper.

Pumpkin Gnocchi

Home-made pumpkin steam bum

Home-made pumpkin soup

Other cooking ideas for pumpkin are pumpkin curry,pumpkin milk, and pumpkin fried rice noodles :lick:
That’s what I want to try some other time! :slight_smile:

I think your soup has way too much water… thick and chunky is the way, mr presley. First, fry a chopped onion and a few mashed garlic cloves in copious bacon bits and bacon fat, then fry your kilo of chopped pumpkin for a few minutes, and then pour on half a bottle white wine and a cup or two of salt-free or low salt chicken stock per kilo chopped pumpkin bits. mash lightly after an hour or two of cooking on low heat with two bay leaves, half a teaspoon ground pepper, dash ground cumin, dash ground coriander (i know you’ll like coriander seed), some saffron threads, and a splash if paprika. A few drops of balsamic vinegar to give it some depth, or a touch of tabasco as well. Keep stirring over low heat till it’s mostly broken up, then add sea salt to taste.

yum.

They make a nice gravy for pasta. peel and dice half a pumpkin. fry some onions and celery in butter with a bit of olive oil. add the pumpkin and cook for a few minutes, stirring a few times, just until they become shiny and slightly translucent, not too much. add your tomatoes and cook. try not to stir too much so they don’t break up too much. nice served with red pepper and parmesan.

I boil it for almost an hour so most of the water evaporates.

fair enough!

i like the added depth of bacon bones or simply bacon fat.

Great stuff! Thanks, guys! :notworthy:

Slice pumpkin into squares, thinly slice onion. In a tbsp oil, temper with cumin and/or mustard seeds, add the veggies, cove and cook till pumpkin is done (you can make it slightly mushy) add salt, chilli powder, turmeric and a chopped tomato or a tbsp of tomato puree, and cook till tomato is done or pure is all well blended. Simple but yummy!!

If you eschew the eschewy bacon, you can add some deskinned and deboned chicken tits 12 minutes before the soup is ready.

Mmm.
Chicken tits. :lick: