Punkworks Choke Substitute

Not sure how fuel injection does cold start enrichment. IF it adjusted the mixture with feedback, then this might work with FI, but if it just over-fuels based on temperature it wouldn’t be effective since the FI would be over-fuelling anyway.

Anyway, my car has a fairly dysfunctional carb, and seems to be finding the current not-summer Taiwan temps (around 10C, Jings!) to be a bit cold. Don’t think my actual choke does anything.

I made a prototype a while ago with a disposable lighter but didn’t really need it in the prevailing temps. This one is a bigger “pre-production” version. Simply made with a large 25NT refillable lighter and a 10NT intravenous butterfly line. Lever the metal flame shield off, pull the torch nozzle (seen on the left) off, remove the piezo-electric igniter (seen on the right), fit the IV line over the gas outlet and replace the flame shield, which gives you something to put a wedge under (I used a cable tie) to hold the button down.

Igniter is perhaps a tiny fire/explosion risk but more importantly it seems to delay or prevent shutoff, despite being spring loaded. Might be worth adding a return spring, perhaps derived from ball-point pen innards, but it seems to work without it.

My dialysis set derived restriction guage/decoker described elsewhere has an injection port on it so I could stick it in that, but I might want it independent so will probably route it directly through thr top of the air cleaner.

Of course not many carbed cars left here, but there are lots of small capacity motorcycles. A gas choke wont cause the same fuel dilution.

Ducked , You are back.!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEDI_2Sh0yM

Your Classes must be an absolute hoot Ducked.:rofl:

Not sure what point you’re making with the first vid. Perhaps you’re just being a dick.

Too many ritten wurdz for the MTV generation?
I should make a Youtube video?

I’ll tell you what I tell my “hoot” classes. TOUGH.

Alternatively, you could be implying that a cigarette lighter and a bit of tubing is too technically incomprehensible for cars and motorcycles readership, which would be rather sad, if true.

The second one seems to be implying that I might set fire to myself, which is fair enough. A gas cigarette lighter on a car is dangerous. Not as dangerous as putting one in your pocket (I’m told addicts actually do this! Obviously they aren’t very risk averse) and not nearly as dangerous as petrol, but still a clear and present danger. Just not likely to be clear and present in my classroom . Quite like my students
Anyway, I tried it on the car and it seems to work.

Seems to work, in that it started easily. Still needed to be kept going with the accelerator for a bit but the time to stable idle seemed shorter, though I havn’t timed it before and after.

However, it wasn’t cold even by Taiwanese standards today, and I forgot which way the flame adjuster went on the lighter so I don’t know if it was full on or not.

Took it for about a 30k run including some freeway. In retrospect I should have done this first with an almost empty disposable lighter in the same location to see if it exploded, and I should have got some of these (lost in translation) fire extinguishers, but anyway I got away with it this time.

Oh Ducked , I was genuinely happy to see your return.
I was making fun , in a tongue in cheek way, at the fact that although I understand perfectly the principles of what you are doing, the complex fix , using everyday items, would not be understood by many non-engineering people. As clever as it is, it seems rather Heath Robinson . ( I know it’s a prototype).

Yes , I may have been Dick for making fun of it all but it amused me.
Carry on, have one of those Fire suppressants and chill.

Complex my arse.

This is an 80’s carb. Its got a snake pits worth of tubes and gizmo’s hanging off it, most of which I have no idea what they do.

THAT is complex.

When it started giving me severe drivability problems I disconnectecd everything apart from the vacuum and centrifugal advance and plugged the ports with chopsticks (bit of local colour there) and LO!. It worked again! (probably had one or more air leaks)

So simplicate and add lightness (or a lighter) seems like a good approach. A choke adds fuel? OK then, I’m adding fuel, and I’m leaving the bloody carburettor alone if I can.

Main snag so far seems to be lighter refuelling. The one I used is supposed to be refillable but I’ve only found silly little refill cannisters that piss gas everywhere, so they may in practice be disposable, which is un-green and will add up to real money.

Any smokers in the house? (cough, cough). How do you refill your lighters?