Put the adjectives in order

Put the adjectives in the correct order to make a sentence. Then make a new one with 4 or 5 adjectives.

silly red frying pan old metal

Eastern enormous difficult ancient book wooden

[quote=“whitetiger”]Put the adjectives in the correct order to make a sentence. Then make a new one with 4 or 5 adjectives.

Eastern enormous difficult ancient book wooden[/quote]

Those won’t make sentences; there’s no verb! :loco:

True dat. They sound like headlines in the China Post.

Ok, put one in. Anyway, you get it, just put the adjectives in the correct order.

It’s a _________

Not in the correct order either. More things can be enormous than eastern.

Etc.

Am I the only person that has NO freakin clue what’s going on?

Polite, contrite, Taiwanese: Oxymoronic, vile.

I doubt it. Look at this…

I don’t give a shit who wrote that, what the hell does it mean?

Ai yo. :s

The first one should be: It’s a silly old red metal frying pan.

When using more than one adjective to descrive something, there is a correct order. Sorry for the confusion. :bow:

When using more than one adjective to descrive something, there is a correct order. Sorry for the confusion. :bow:[/quote]

Maybe for the grammar fascists and their Latin sympathizers. Down our way, it’s more a question of emphasis on the subjective whim of the author. One could conceivably write ‘Old silly red metal fry pan.’, if one were wishing to remain true to certain vernacular elements of the vast geo-political entity that is the English language.

[i]"Enormous book of  difficult ancient wooden Eastern."[/i]
Carvings.
It's a.

“Taiwan famous cuisine”.

Famous Taiwanese cuisine. :wink:

When using more than one adjective to descrive something, there is a correct order. Sorry for the confusion. :bow:[/quote]

I’m still trying to figure out what “descrive” means…is it to erase something you wrote in Italian???

Your order sounds wrong to my ears (but hey, maybe we’re just not from the same parts).

I think there is a colloquial order to adjective strings, as follows: pure adjectives of subjective opinion such as silly typically precede objective descriptors such as old red metal, which in turn typically precede adjectival nouns and gerunds, e.g. of function or category of essential nature, e.g. frying, with the pure (base) noun at the end. Within strings of objective adjectives, the order is often size, age, color, origin and material. Thus we have ‘silly old red metal frying pan’, ‘the nice new cargo ship’, and ‘an irascible little old Greek man’. Poets can do what they like, of course, but if you say ‘the red metal old silly frying pan’, people are gonna look at you funny, at least where I come from.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this were true. To help you along: describe

Your order sounds wrong to my ears (but hey, maybe we’re just not from the same parts).

I think there is a colloquial order to adjective strings, as follows: pure adjectives of subjective opinion such as silly typically precede objective descriptors such as old red metal, which in turn typically precede adjectival nouns and gerunds, e.g. of function or category of essential nature, e.g. frying, with the pure (base) noun at the end. Within strings of objective adjectives, the order is often size, age, color, origin and material. Thus we have ‘silly old red metal frying pan’, ‘the nice new cargo ship’, and ‘an irascible little old Greek man’. Poets can do what they like, of course, but if you say ‘the red metal old silly frying pan’, people are gonna look at you funny, at least where I come from.[/quote]

Technically, frying pan and cargo ship are compound nouns, so there’s one less modifier to be dealt with.

I think there is a colloquial order to adjective strings, as follows: pure adjectives of subjective opinion such as silly typically precede objective descriptors such as old red metal, which in turn typically precede adjectival nouns and gerunds, e.g. of function or category of essential nature, e.g. frying, with the pure (base) noun at the end. Within strings of objective adjectives, the order is often size, age, color, origin and material. Thus we have ‘silly old red metal frying pan’, ‘the nice new cargo ship’, and ‘an irascible little old Greek man’. Poets can do what they like, of course, but if you say ‘the red metal old silly frying pan’, people are gonna look at you funny, at least where I come from.[/quote]

Poets need to be looked at funny. Builds character, intellectual stamina, and stops the upper lip from quivering out of place.
Of course, much of this is academic.
As most would be roundly lashed with sharp tongues for even putting ‘red’ & ‘metal’ together. Even more for ‘metal’ & ‘frying pan’.
Sounds like a Communist headbanging outfit.
‘Red Metal Rocks your Fry Pan!’

The rock group known as “frying”, self-confessed communists whom I think are insensible, have recently criticised ACDC for being ancient.

It makes sense to me.

'Arf a mo ‘ere! Mine’s the only one that is a real sentence. An’ I’m not barbing the lifers. :smiley: And it’s jam-packed with truth and poignance.

The silly old red metal frying pan rested upon an enormous difficult ancient Eastern wooden book.

Was that so hard?