Putting Bikes on Trains in Taiwan: How To Get Around By Rail

Any idea of what website was this? can’t find it now.

1 Like

Thanks, I was checking that one earlier today but didn’t see the bicycle symbols. I just found out you need to hover over each row to see more details including bicycle related information.

Just took the bike-friendly express train (113) from Songshan to Hsinchu today. It currently leaves Songshan at 8:17 am, but there’s an even earlier one at 6:17 am

Nice to be able to take an express train without having to worry about bagging your bike! Plus, you can book these tickets in advance using the TRA website/app.

The only confusing thing was why they didn’t assign me a seat right next to my bike.

7 Likes

Were there more bike racks than seats in the bike friendly compartment?

No, there were two sets of seats: one next to/in between the bikes (bottom photo), and another at the front of the carriage (top photo).

It was just a bit awkward because there were non-cyclists sitting in the seats between the bikes, so we all had to be careful not to hit them with our bikes as we hung them up (I almost hit a guy’s white dress shirt with my pedal). Would have made more sense for TRA to assign those seats to cyclists.

2 Likes