Qigong in Taipei?

First post…yes, green and reeling from the peculiar scent that wafts like sage on the high desert… just arrived from the States a few days ago. I am a student here, studying language and Qigong. What I am looking for presently is a good Qigong teacher, wondering if anyone might refer me in the direction of someone qualified. I have unsuccessfully googled it, ineffectively researched it, and am feeling like the fruitless tree in winter. It being Asia, I am confident that there are teachers here, but finding them is driving me to another bottle of Chimay. Thanks!
Reese

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

…When the student is ready…the teacher will appear…

Awww…just kidding with that stuff. Welcome to Taiwan.
Some folks on here should be able to make some worthwhile reccomends to ya.
Help you sort out the bs from the real deals.
Good luck…
…and there are some very good beer threads on here also…

You might want to check this organization out;
meimen.org/English/

I don’t have any personal experience of them but they seem authentic, as much as one can tell from a website anyway.

Kung-Fu Loung
masscommunication Co,.LTD.
7F~1 No.263 Sec.4 Xinyi Rd.
Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
TEL : 886-2-2703-8412
FAX: 886-2-2703-8414

kungfuloung.com.tw/

The sifu is a nice guy. He teaches qigong, praying mantis.

[quote=“a note on the bulletin board”]
Buddhism, Meditation & Taoist Qi-Gong studies

Our group offer studies and practices in Buddhism (Tibetan Buddhism and Zen). It is also a place to study meditation technique and practice Taoist Qi-Gong (ancient Chinese physical exercises). If you feel interested, please send your personal information (nationality and contact number) to Peggy at vajrapractice@hotmail.com[/quote]

So is anyone else interested in learning rope dart gongfu? That sounds like hell of fun.

It’s very difficult. That was my school and I liked it a lot, but I got pissed off at something one night and just left as I usually do. Later I felt bad about that, but it was kind of too late to go back.
Plus the problem wouldn’t go away.
They practice on Sundays in Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park if you want to take a look. The sifu hand-made a special shirt for me for my birthday and gave me a whole bunch of kung-fu vcd’s for free.
Well, now I feel like shit again.
Funnily enough, a girl gave me a flyer for that free Qi gong class on the train tonight, and I’ve been thinking of my old class all night.

Taibei is a big place and there are loads of teachers teaching a bewildering variety of qigongs. Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about your location to narrow things down a bit. If you are around the Shi-da/Daan Park area I can PM you a contact number for what I am assured are very good qigong and taijiquan classes.

There is a place near Shi-da doing Guo Lin’s qigong, and another doing 99 Shengong (which includes dangling weights off your scrotum. Women can do it too, but not the scrotum bit, obviously.) In a park on Chengde Road Section 1 they are doing wuqinxi (five animal play) and some good taijiquan. Etc. etc., depends what you’re into.

You could even do falun gong if you can separate the qigong part from the brainwashing aspect. Falun gong is derived from zen mixed with baguazhang, as far as I know.

Falun gong discussion
Text-only version of the above (quicker download)

[quote=“Juba”]You could even do falun gong if you can separate the qigong part from the brainwashing aspect. Falun gong is derived from zen mixed with baguazhang, as far as I know.[/quote]Juba -
Not wanting to get into politics here…but I do have a Q.
I was under the impression that the Falun Gong excercises were more akin to White Crain than Pa-Kua.
Does FG walk the circle?
I honestly do not know and this raises an interesting, for me, question.
Thanks.

Juba…it sounds like you have a secret worth sharing. Send me a PM, as Shi-da is the area that would be most convienent for me. And an appreciative thank you to all the ideas, the Chimay is sitting sadly forsaken on the shelf.

“A slave is he who cannot speak his thoughts.” - Euripides

Reese Zollinger
wanderingtibetan@yahoo.com[/quote]

I’d be up for that… I’ve been looking for a kung fu class that suits my schedule

Tetsuo, if you do go to my old school, could you tell me if they still keep their turtles in the bathroom?
I’d love to find Qigong and Praying Mantis near Shida too. Why don’t you just post the info here, Juba?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]…I was under the impression that the Falun Gong excercises were more akin to White Crane than Pa-Kua. Does FG walk the circle?
I honestly do not know and this raises an interesting, for me, question.
Thanks.[/quote]
I don’t think so. Check the link I placed at the bottom of my previous post. I have done a bit of baguazhang but I would rather keep clear of falun gong, considering how many other kinds of qigong there are available. My limited experience of non-martial qigong is a bit of dayangong, some Guo Lin qigong I learned from a book and from watching other people doing it (manbugong - the slow walk) and a few other dabblings.

I have also done primal integration (a kind of holistic psychotherapy) and I am very interested in seeing some kind of coming together of primal and qi theory. I heard about problems especially with zifadonggong (spontaneous movement exercise), and I think what they have there might be leading to “primals” but they don’t know how to handle it. Most people won’t know what I am talking about, sorry.

Sorry, I’m not going to put my friend’s phone number here without his permission. I will PM anyone interested.

Hi Juba.

Do you know if there are still people doing 99 shengong inTaiwan? I f they are, can you tell me exactly where to find them?
I would appreciate it a lot.

asif62

[quote=“asif62”]Hi Juba.

Do you know if there are still people doing 99 shengong inTaiwan? I f they are, can you tell me exactly where to find them?
I would appreciate it a lot.

asif62[/quote]
99 Shengong place in Taipei:
台北市和平東路一段238號地下室
Basement, No. 238, Sec. 1, Heping East Road, Taipei City
It’s on the south side of Heping East Road between NTNU/Shi-da and Daan Park, near the junction with Wenzhou Street.

In Kaohsiung:
高雄市中正一路315號3樓之2
Room 2, 3rd Floor, No. 315, Zhongzheng (or Jhongjheng) 1st Road, Kaoshiung City
(近大順路口,福安路口樓上 near Dashun Road and Fuan Road junctions)

Web site: 99.org.tw/

Just wondering if anybody knows of any reputable qigong masters or practicioners in the Taipei area that are willing to accept new students. I’ve been wanting to get really into Qigong for a while, but from what I understand trying anything past basic techniques without proper instruction can be counter productive and damaging. So I’ve just been practicing the 8 pieces of brocade on my own (using Dr. Yang’s videos as a guide) as it’s a basic set with limited potential for screwing up. I’ve also been doing some stance training (zhan zheng), sitting in horse stance for a few minutes a few evenings a week. Though with this too, I don’t want to push it too hard just in case there are errors in my form.

A master accepting paying students would be great as would just anybody with the proper knowledge who’s willing to help me get started. I train mostly Muay Thai, BJJ, and JKD/Kali myself, though I think Qigong training can really help me take my martial arts up a level. So in the case that you’re just a fellow martial artist with some sound Qigong knowledge I’m definitely willing to trade some of my knowledge for your own. Let me know! Thanks

Dude, just wake up at like 5 am and go to ANY park, there will be qigong masters at every single one.

Qigong means energy work, which is the foundation for any Tai Chi practice. Healing Qigong exercises are very gentle and simple yet very powerful in healing; with practice will do wonders to your body and mind! They are beneficial for all age groups.

Each class, you will learn 3 types of qigong:

• Prepratory Qigong - individual qigong exercises to relax and prepare your body and mind

• Seasonal Qigong - specific qigong movements practiced according to different seasons

• Eight Silken Exercises Qigong - most powerful and simple Qigong form for overall health

I offer small group classes on Tues and Fri 10:30am at Danshui and Fri 2pm at Shilin

*Private lessons also available, please leave a message: yuliqian@ymail.com

More info:
meetup.com/healing-qigong