Qingming festival ... tombsweeping day April 4

On the 4th day of the 4th month (April 4) people in Taiwan and probably China and Chinese worldwide go to the cemetery to clean up graves and worship their ancestors … luckily the weather cleared up somewhat and I went to the cemetery just around 2 corners behind the hill I live nearby to document on the tradition …
As I arrived some people were looking at me as the odd foreigner carrying two cameras and making pictures on a cemetery … normally not done (did it once and my wife wasn’t too happy about it) as it brings bad luck, but yesterday (04-04) it’s probably OK as the spirits are worshiped and probably don’t do harm to us earthly bodies … anyways, I was actually very well met by several families and even given some of the offerings people use for praying … and all that with a smile and a laugh, nothing somber as we see it in our European culture … it’s a day to reunite with passed away family … 清明節 Qing Ming festival, clear and bright.

Enjoy …

More images at my picasaweb account

3 Likes

I love the composition of this one. Beautiful framing.

1 Like

I think it’s prime real estate up there, between the beautiful trees :wink: … and yes, it caught my eye too … one of yesterday’s favorites … thank you for the compliment, Mr. SM …

My favourite is this one. Lovely!

1 Like

“Mum! Mum! We made an offering to a REAL ghost!”

1 Like

“Mum! Mum! We made an offering to a REAL ghost!”[/quote]

Thanks … :s

1 Like

Quite possibly an accurate description. When we visited Hualian last weekend I’m sure we were the first foreigners a lot of kids had ever seen in their lives. The number of kids tugging at mum’s sleeve and pointing us out with wide eyes and gaping mouths was certainly nothing like Taipei. We just smiled reassuringly at the mums, most of whom looked embarrassed.

1 Like

Thanks … :s[/quote]
Gweilo, BP. Canto for white ghost, used to describe furriners.

1 Like

My favorites. I love the humanity - the joy, camaraderie, and duty.

1 Like

Great pics BP, and I love the grins on their faces when they got to burn stuff.

They’re beautiful, BP.

Superb photos as usual, Belgian Pie!

1 Like

Brilliant documentary work.

1 Like

Now I’m blushing … but thanks for your kind words … is there something else I can say?

1 Like

Stunning work! I don’t know how to link photos but I like the shot from down below while the lady is tossing money onto the fire. Also, the lines of the graves are very pleasing to the eye.

Sweet stuff.

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to the long weekend. I’ll be in Hualien as usual. Family, good food, exercise, and a bit of partying (bro in law is celebrating the start of a new decade).

I hate the actual tombsweeping activities, but it’s usually fairly short and painless.

4 Likes

The missus and her family did it this past weekend ahead of the traffic jams.

1 Like

I’ve been unlucky enough to have my leave during Qingming last year and this year. Having to book flight tickets two months in advance is far too stressful.

1 Like

I really wish my wife’s family would do this. But no, we have to fight through the crowds every year. We’re leaving tomorrow at noon. I hope we will beat the rush, and I believe it will be insane this year, judging by the extreme difficulty in reserving train tickets at the end of the weekend.

3 Likes

16 years later. Kudos for the literal gravedig. :ghost:

2 Likes