Qualifications

This is probably a stupid question. Please spare me your wrath!

I noticed that a lot of schools list “teacher license from own country” as one of the requirements. Is this required by law or do they just want to scare off the unlicensed teachers? Also, I heard that some schools accept teachers with MEds though they don’t have a teacher license?

Enlighten me!

**edit: One more question: Is the situation different for those who don’t need an ARC?

Teaching license is required if you’re teaching in a public and most private schools. The confusion often comes when cram schools aren’t differentiated from a regular school. Cram schools can legally hire anyone with a Bachelor’s degree in any subject from a list of approved native English speaking countries.
That’s a general outline of it.
What exactly do you mean by someone not needing an ARC?

[quote=“kjmillig”]Teaching license is required if you’re teaching in a public and most private schools. The confusion often comes when cram schools aren’t differentiated from a regular school. Cram schools can legally hire anyone with a Bachelor’s degree in any subject from a list of approved native English speaking countries.
That’s a general outline of it.
What exactly do you mean by someone not needing an ARC?[/quote]

I imagine she/he means someone with JFRV or PARC, or some such. Legal residence status should have no baring on whether or not you are a qualified teacher. I have no idea about being hired with an MEd, but I’d guess you can’t simply because that doesn’t fit the expected paperwork scheme. What would they authenticate? Where would the put their stamp? Ah! AH! I can hear you trying to employ logic! Best you stop right now.

Yes, I did mean someone with legal residence status. Anyhow, I agree that that doesn’t make someone more qualified.

Since we’re on this topic, has anyone actually gone back to get their teacher license just so they could come back to get into public schools?