Quarantine Period for Indonesian Caregiver

I would like to know the current quarantine policy for foreign caregivers from Indonesia. My friend is currenty staying in a quarantine facility and the hotel says that she has to stay in the hotel for a full 7 days because she is a caregiver from Indonesia. Is this true? Is so can someone cite a source. Thank you!!

It’s not “because she’s a caregiver”. It’s because the 3+4 rules say you have to stay in the same place for the whole 7 days, which effectively means a 7-day quarantine if you’re not at home.

There is technically an option for you to transfer elsewhere at the end of 3 days, but you’d have to ask immigration about the precise details.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. After the 3 days, can she leave the hotel for some hours to walk around or do whatever and return back to the same hotel?

Should technically have to do a self-test from the kit she received, and if negative, can go out that day.

2 Likes

The screenshot I have suggests that yes, they are allowed out during days 4-7 “if it’s necessary”. I don’t think she has any obligation to explain to the staff whether her trip outdoors is “necessary” or not.

1 Like

May I see the screenshot? They are not letting her out currently.

The second bullet point seems to be the relevant one. If you flip the logic of that statement around, the implication is that you can go out for “necessary” reasons. It’s certainly not a blanket ban on leaving the hotel.

She ought to have had a phone call from the police. If the hotel staff are being assholes, that contact would be the first person to ask.

2 Likes

Thank you!! It is clear now, but the hotel challenged her on what is “necessary.” So, I’m wondering what to do next. Should I advised her to call the police, which happen to be next door to the hotel, and have them come over and see what will come of it. I don’t know. It’s just fustrating and there should be some consistent application of the rules.
Thank you for your help.

Have her talk to the police contact person on her LINE or whoever is “responsible” for her at the local branch.

1 Like

She can simply go out for a necessary reason. How could anybody stop her besides calling the police? They are not physically restraining your friend are they? And if police come, she could explain her necessary reason. It would be best for the reason not to be frivolous.

1 Like

This is what I would do, but I’m not Indonesian. I wouldn’t even get challenged.

1 Like

It drives me nuts how these stupid rules turn everyone into petty tyrants. She doesn’t need to justify anything to anyone - she can just open the door and walk outside, do whatever “necessary” thing she needs to do, and come back. Mental health is considered to be a valid reason, and it’s a useful catch-all. There’s actually a helpline for that somewhere.

5 Likes

Are you sure mental health is a valid necessary reason? That is a great catch-all.

Yeah, it’s on one of the official notices, but I really can’t remember which (there are dozens of them). There is a mental-health helpline, which I also can’t remember. “Mental health” is - theoretically at least - an acceptable emergency excuse for breaking quarantine, although I assume you have to get permission from the authorities in that instance. I seem to recall that “exercise” is also a valid reason for leaving your home during the self-monitored-whatever period.